Is it appropriate to message a trainee on LinkedIn to ask for advice?

ginevrafanshawe

• Aug 12, 2022
    Hi everyone!

I received an interview offer from Davis Polk today, which I am obviously very happy about! However, I am quite nervous about the interview and trying to do everything I can to prepare. Would it be appropriate for me to message a current Davis Polk trainee on LinkedIn to ask how they prepared for the interview and what they think they did that made them successful? I would choose someone who went to the same uni as me so we have something in common! I thought this would be fine but a friend said that if the interviewers found out about it they wouldn't like it - is this the case?

Thanks in advance for any replies!

P.S.: if anyone has any experience of the Davis Polk interview from previous cycles, I would be really grateful for some advice!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi everyone!

I received an interview offer from Davis Polk today, which I am obviously very happy about! However, I am quite nervous about the interview and trying to do everything I can to prepare. Would it be appropriate for me to message a current Davis Polk trainee on LinkedIn to ask how they prepared for the interview and what they think they did that made them successful? I would choose someone who went to the same uni as me so we have something in common! I thought this would be fine but a friend said that if the interviewers found out about it they wouldn't like it - is this the case?

P.S.: if anyone has any experience of the Davis Polk interview from previous cycles, I would be really grateful for some advice!
    People do this all the time. The interviewers won’t necessarily see it as a negative - it shows initiative to try and learn and prepare. It’s not like the trainee can give you the answers to the interview.

Reactions: ginevrafanshawe

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    Hi everyone!

Absolutely ok to message! Be mindful of your interactions and ensure that your messages are politely worded and respectful and don't come off as being demanding of the trainee's attention/response. I'm confident that you'll do this anyway but this is important for me to highlight nonetheless, given your concerns.

All the best for your interview - I hope it goes off wonderfully! 😊

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.