hi

mfuturetrainee

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 21, 2021
    Hi all,

If a mentor tells you they're busy and they will respond to you properly but then doesn't email for a month - should you send them a follow-up?

For context, this mentor has supported me through a few applications, and interviews and I still haven't secured anything. I applied to their firm and the firm rejected me ( which was actually a tough rejection because I don't think there was anything more I could have done for that firm but whatever we move).

My last email to my mentor was regarding the rejection from their firm ( a very short email).

Have they given up on me and decided to ghost me? Totally fine if they have, I am not entitled to the support and I can completely understand (although I would like to thank them) - they probably thought I would be some second year who would obtain 10 TC offers and 1 rejection.

I would really like to do some interview prep with them for an upcoming interview but don't want to email them if they're busy but also it's been a month? Is it normal to be busy for a month straight?
    so ive had experience w my first ever mentor who kind of ghosted me after I missed one session by accident (I explained my reasons way beforehand why I couldn't make it to that session and offered to reschedule), since that missed sesh I always chased up on scheduling our weekly sessions (as agreed) but she never replied, never showed up, so I took it w pinch of salt (esp since she was a trainee solicitor at my dream law firm) and moved on after weeks of no response on her end

is ur mentor a trainee solicitor? or sitting their sqe exams? a lot of my current mentors are busy because of that as well! id say if you want urgent interview prep, best to reach out to diff people if ur mentors not responding, maybe they have a personal reason or something else going on so its best to not think they're deliberately ignoring u and see if they contact u after?

• 🤝
    Reactions: AB

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.