Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    When was your Jones Day interview?

January 2017

What was it for?

Vacation scheme

Please describe the interview process at Jones Day.

Online application with a very short cover letter followed by an interview with two partners.

Admittedly, this might have been my worst interview experience, but it was also my first so that might explain it. It felt cold and distanced, and the trainee that gave me a tour was clearly not having it - it felt forced and unwelcoming.

What advice would you give to future applicants for the Jones Day interview?

Jones Day is known for its one-hour competency-based interviews. There were two partners who would ask a whole range of competency questions and just a couple commercial ones towards the end.

Specifically, Jones Day is apparently looking for 'friendly trainees' to be good company to partners on business trips rather than a 'robot' trainee who's only expected to do their work (how far this is true throughout the actual training contract I am not sure). Hence, the first thing they will be looking for is an approachable and talkative (but not overly so) trainee. It's all about the right balance, and given how many candidates they invite to interview the competition to show this will be very fierce. Accordingly, make sure to show them you can hold a conversation without being awkward!

Their training contract, moreover, is unique in that they do not have seats, but allow trainees to do what they like (within reason) and are expected to go looking for their own tasks. Naturally, a great deal of the interview will focus on this aspect - in my case, I was asked whether I had done something which required me to focus on two different aspects simultaneously, something in which I had to show initiative and drive, when I overcame a challenge and the like. I believe the best way to prepare for this is to download a list of competency questions from well-known sites such as chambersstudent and try answering them. Do NOT learn them by heart, just use them to structure and get a feeling of a questions.

The final commercial question varies enormously, as partners each deal with different practice areas. I was asked how Jones Day might be involved in a M&A deal (which I found very generic), as well as what I would invest £10m in - clearly meant to catch people off-guard. From what I gathered, this was less so to test your knowledge and more so to see how you'd react to an unforeseen question, as might happen throughout your training contract with clients and/or partners.

Generally, as cliche as this is, my advice would be to truly be yourself - if you pretend to be someone you're not you will not enjoy this particular firm and its training structure. So, be yourself, be respectful, and answer any questions honestly, politely and above all with enthusiasm.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

November 2016

What was it for?

Vacation scheme and TC

The Jones Day interview is centred around your personality. I was asked some typical questions, such as why law, or why Jones Day, and I was frequently challenged on the answers I gave. I was also asked about my motivations and how I tackled challenging or mundane tasks. I was also asked about the Jones Day training style and why I felt I would be a good fit for the firm.

For Jones Day, the best advice is to be sincere. They will catch you out quickly if your answers are disingenuous as they are keen to challenge individuals to bring out the best in them. Do not cave under pressure and be prepared to play your own role to guide the interview. I stood out for my relaxed demeanour and I was comfortable talking about anything, from the breakfast I had in the morning to my exam grades in my first year of university.

Last edited:

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

April 2016

What was it for?

Vacation scheme

I arrived and saw no other applicants for the entire time I was there. I was called in for an interview with two partners. This interview mainly covered all of the main things. First there were questions about motivation, then there was some stuff on commercial awareness, recent issues etc., and then a couple of questions on competencies, and then some questions about what is good and bad about their assessment process, how is it different from other firms, how it could be improved. I felt quite intimidated throughout the whole process.

Then a trainee came in and took me to reimburse my expenses, give me a tour of the office and answer any questions I had.

They really look at your application and interests, and saw that I am involved with a lot of music activities. They really pushed me on why I wanted a career in law if I could guarantee a successful career in music, and I wasn't really prepared to respond properly. I was a bit flustered and then I didn't respond well to questions about why I love commercial law. Be really prepared on your motivation for the career. I had a lot prepared on why Jones Day but they didn't really ask much about that.

It seems that their tactic in interviews is to really push you and try to get you on the back foot to see how you react, so try to remain calm at all times and confident in your answers, even if they question them and speak with a lot of authority with contrary views, or doubt that you really are committed to commercial law. Make sure you know why you applied to the firms that you did, and really get to know about the different types of firms and what each type can offer you.

Don't be intimidated!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.