Keeping in touch with partner who rejected you

futureTS2025hopeful

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Oct 23, 2020
Hi guys,

I just wanted some thoughts regarding my situation. I did a 2 week vacation scheme a few months ago and was unfortunately unsuccessful. I sought feedback and it was partly due to coronavirus (i.e cuts in graduate intakes).

I was wondering whether it's wise - 3 months later - to email the partner whom I work for subtly asking for any future openings - perhaps in the following year? I'm just doing so because it seems the firm is doing quite well despite covid. However, I am just conscious that this may come off as me pestering them, especially since they are a partner of a BigLaw firm so any inspiration stories of people who've been rejected by a firm post-vac scheme but managed to 'network' their way into a second opportunity would be great?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi guys,

I just wanted some thoughts regarding my situation. I did a 2 week vacation scheme and was unfortunately unsuccessful. I sought feedback and it was partly due to coronavirus (i.e cuts in graduate intakes).

I was wondering whether it's wise - 3 months later - to email the partner whom I work for subtly asking for any future openings - perhaps in the following year? I'm just doing so because it seems the firm is doing quite well despite covid. However, I am just conscious that this may come off as me pestering them, especially since they are a partner of a BigLaw firm so any inspiration stories of people who've been rejected by a firm post-vac scheme but managed to 'network' their way into a second opportunity would be great?

The decision for training contracts won’t be with an individual partner. Even paralegal roles are likely to be directed through the recruitment team.

Keep in contact by connecting on LinkedIn but I wouldn’t go about this in a “I’ll get in via another route” approach personally.

Reactions: Numerius Negidius

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thanks Jess! From a grad recruiter, are there any reasons for not choosing the "“I’ll get in via another route” approach? Is it because it comes off as unprofessional?

As I said, it’s because you aren’t talking to the person who is solely making the hiring decision, so your judgement of them being able to hire you is highly misplaced.

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Just to add to this, I would just be conscious of the way it might come across to the partner and HR. A lot of people sadly face rejection and have to make reapplications and face the process again. I would be conscious of coming across as though you are trying to by-pass the formal process and leverage a previous relationship to get a position with the firm. I think it would be fine to keep in touch in a mentor/mentee relationship way though. If you were seeking paralegal roles in their department and asking if there might be any, I personally think this is slightly different than asking about TCs. It is not necessarily that it would be unprofessional but more just about the fairness of the process and firms, especially larger ones, have strict processes to try to ensure this fairness.

Reactions: Jessica Booker

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.