Kennedy's Application Questions

SpaceGirl

Star Member
Aug 31, 2018
Hi everyone,

How best do I answer the following questions, are there any keywords I should include?

1. What key skills do you believe are necessary to become a successful lawyer at Kennedys? (250 words max)*
2. Please give an example of a situation where you were required to work in a team to accomplish an important objective and describe your role in achieving this objective. (250 words max)*
3. Please explain why you want to pursue a career in law? (200 words max)*
4. How does Kennedys differ from other firms you have applied to? (200 words max)*

Thank you!

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi everyone,

How best do I answer the following questions, are there any keywords I should include?

1. What key skills do you believe are necessary to become a successful lawyer at Kennedys? (250 words max)*
    2. Please give an example of a situation where you were required to work in a team to accomplish an important objective and describe your role in achieving this objective. (250 words max)*
    4. How does Kennedys differ from other firms you have applied to? (200 words max)*

Thank you!

These guides should help you to answer those questions:
    Some pointers:
    1. Read through the website and any recruitment materials/articles by GR you can find, and try to get a sense of what kind of skills Kennedys are looking for. Pick 3-4 skills. Explain how these skills are important using your knowledge of what commercial lawyers do and the kind of firm Kennedys is.
    2. Check the competency section of the training contract 2018 guide. Use the STAR or CAR method. For example: 1. What was the situation, your role and the important objective? (20%) 2. What was required of your team? (20%) 3. What did you do? (40%) 4. What was the result? (20%) Sometimes, students fall down here because they don't focus on what they did, or they don't answer the question. Remember to explain what the important objective is and what team working skills you used to accomplish the objective.
    3. See here: https://thecorporatelawacademy.com/...dvice-sorry-for-another-thread.467/#post-1804
    4. This is a harder question. It's a variation of: "Why are you applying to Kennedys?", but you will need to clearly demonstrate that you understand what kind of firm Kennedys is. Make sure your answers are tailored to the firm.
    Let me know if anything is unclear!

SpaceGirl

Star Member
    Aug 31, 2018
    These guides should help you to answer those questions:
    Some pointers:
    1. Read through the website and any recruitment materials/articles by GR you can find, and try to get a sense of what kind of skills Kennedys are looking for. Pick 3-4 skills. Explain how these skills are important using your knowledge of what commercial lawyers do and the kind of firm Kennedys is.
    2. Check the competency section of the training contract 2018 guide. Use the STAR or CAR method. For example: 1. What was the situation, your role and the important objective? (20%) 2. What was required of your team? (20%) 3. What did you do? (40%) 4. What was the result? (20%) Sometimes, students fall down here because they don't focus on what they did, or they don't answer the question. Remember to explain what the important objective is and what team working skills you used to accomplish the objective.
    3. See here: https://thecorporatelawacademy.com/...dvice-sorry-for-another-thread.467/#post-1804
    4. This is a harder question. It's a variation of: "Why are you applying to Kennedys?", but you will need to clearly demonstrate that you understand what kind of firm Kennedys is. Make sure your answers are tailored to the firm.
    Let me know if anything is unclear!

Thank you for that, Jaysen.
    I'll be sure to let you know if anything seems unclear.

Ilma M.

Standard Member
    Oct 15, 2018
    Hi everyone,

Thank you!
    Thank you Jaysen for your comprehensive answer. I just wanted to add what I found useful in answering the first question. Since Kennedys has not changed its competency questions.
    Search its job vacancies, for instance, solicitor/associate. And then read a job description. The firm lists what kind of skills/abilities a candidate must possess, thus it is a useful start point. Of course, also check 'day in the life of a legal profession' page on the Kennedys' website.

Hope it will help.

Sophie.L109

Sep 11, 2019
    Hi all.

I am applying for Kennedys but I'm stuck on the "Please tell us anything further about yourself in support of your application (150 words max). I'm unsure how to tackle this question and what they're looking for? Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi everyone,

Thank you!

Try to avoid key words. It can come across as disjointed or not very genuine.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi all.

I am applying for Kennedys but I'm stuck on the "Please tell us anything further about yourself in support of your application (150 words max). I'm unsure how to tackle this question and what they're looking for? Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Basically is there anything in your application that you think is missing and cannot be accommodated by the rest of the application form?

Lulu76

Standard Member
    Jun 22, 2019
    Hi, I have been offered to complete a video interview at Kennedy’s , does anyone have any tips or have experienced a video interview at Kennedy’s previously? I would be so grateful for any help / advise

EJ

Star Member
    Dec 27, 2019
    Hi, I have also been offered a video interview so am currently doing my best to prepare. I spoke to my careers advisor who suggested that they may ask a question about recent cases the firm have worked on. I've been able to find case reviews/ articles written by lawyers at the firm, and reference to public inquiries they have worked on, but nothing on actual cases. Does anyone have any tips on how I should approach this?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi, I have also been offered a video interview so am currently doing my best to prepare. I spoke to my careers advisor who suggested that they may ask a question about recent cases the firm have worked on. I've been able to find case reviews/ articles written by lawyers at the firm, and reference to public inquiries they have worked on, but nothing on actual cases. Does anyone have any tips on how I should approach this?

I doubt you’d be asked a question like this in a video interview...

Reactions: Daniel Boden

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

Yeah I’d be so surprised if you were asked a question on this. In any case, you’ll be able to find details of firm’s deals on its website (you might have to look under a practice area/expertise section).

EJ

Star Member
    Dec 27, 2019
    Yeah I’d be so surprised if you were asked a question on this. In any case, you’ll be able to find details of firm’s deals on its website (you might have to look under a practice area/expertise section).
    Hi Jaysen, thank you for your advice. I have had a look at the 'case review' section of their website and managed to find something which hopefully should be recent enough, it just took a bit more trawling. Thanks again!

Reactions: Jaysen

Saksham Malik

Star Member
    May 26, 2020
    Hi. I have a couple of questions about the Kennedy's Training Contract and SQE Training Programs.

a. Does the firm recruit on a rolling basis? If yes, then does anyone have a clue when they opened the applications?
    b. How many vacancies are there (approx) for both the programs?
    c. Does the firm sponsor visas for international applicants?
    d. How many TC roles are filled from the Vac Scheme students?
    e. What criteria should one use while deciding whether to apply for the TC or the SQE Program?

I'd really appreciate it if anyone could answer any of these questions.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi. I have a couple of questions about the Kennedy's Training Contract and SQE Training Programs.

a. Does the firm recruit on a rolling basis? If yes, then does anyone have a clue when they opened the applications?
    b. How many vacancies are there (approx) for both the programs?
    c. Does the firm sponsor visas for international applicants?
    d. How many TC roles are filled from the Vac Scheme students?
    e. What criteria should one use while deciding whether to apply for the TC or the SQE Program?

I'd really appreciate it if anyone could answer any of these questions.

For question E, what degree are you studying, when do you graduate and are you studying in the U.K.?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I'm studying a law degree in India and will graduate this month. However, I'm a non-law student for the purpose of qualifying as a solicitor in the UK so will have to give the GDL.

The TC will only be possible if you start the GDL this September. If you didn’t start it then, you’d have to take the SQE route (although it suggests that you’d still need the GDL for the SQE route which is a bit odd).

You should contact Kennedy’s to ask whether they can apply visas for both TCs and the SQE apprenticeship routes.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Saksham Malik

Saksham Malik

Star Member
    May 26, 2020
    That does sound odd. Also, on a more general note, is it necessary for me to start the GDL in September if I have to start my TC in 2022? I mean, wouldn't starting with the January intake also give me sufficient time to complete my GDL and LPC before the TC begins? Asking with respect to training contracts in general, not just for Kennedys. Thanks!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.