Kirkland App

Laura T

May 30, 2019
Hi guys, I was just wondering if anyone has had experience with K&E interviews? I am currently considering applying for the direct TC but I am doubting whether or not it is better for me to wait to apply for their vacation scheme next year.

The reason for this is that I am a non-law graduate with very little legal work experience. I do believe I have other things rooting for me but nonetheless, I fear that if I apply now with a 'weak' application it could work against me later on. I have an internship at a small law firm starting in September (3 months), so I will, of course, be in a better position then to apply for the VC. On the other hand, I feel that I am losing time if I have to wait another half year (I am turning 25 in January).

Any advice? Would be highly appreciated :)

Syafiqkay92

Star Member
Premium Member
Aug 26, 2018
Hi guys, I was just wondering if anyone has had experience with K&E interviews? I am currently considering applying for the direct TC but I am doubting whether or not it is better for me to wait to apply for their vacation scheme next year.

The reason for this is that I am a non-law graduate with very little legal work experience. I do believe I have other things rooting for me but nonetheless, I fear that if I apply now with a 'weak' application it could work against me later on. I have an internship at a small law firm starting in September (3 months), so I will, of course, be in a better position then to apply for the VC. On the other hand, I feel that I am losing time if I have to wait another half year (I am turning 25 in January).

Hi Laura

I hope age doesn't discourage you. I'm turning 28 soon and I still haven't got a training contract. The way I see it, just enjoy all the experience you have and learn all you can. If you keep on improving, you will get one eventually. To quote Rosie, you just need one.

Good luck!

Best,
Syafiq.

Reactions: PB and Alice G

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018

I agree with @Syafiqkay92 entirely, age will never count against you and, if anything, it means that you have more lived experience to discuss and even more of a strong narrative for why you have decided corporate law is for you by leveraging those experiences.

In terms of genuine advice re. Kirkland - I know they only look at direct TCs once they have had their vac schemes and they do tend to fill the spaces from those schemes given their small intake. Making an application now will not count against you if you apply for a VS in the next recruitment cycle but it is up to you whether you have the time to write one or not :) I think that many firms are recruiting through vac schemes these days so why not give a direct TC app a go, because you never know - maybe their vac scheme candidates weren't a good fit and they will have spaces? And you can always make another application in the next cycle with that further experience you will be gaining from September which you can talk about? :) I turn 24 this November and only decided what I really wanted to do in October of last year so i really do appreciate where you are coming from but just remember that this really is a process and that you will find the right firm and the right fit for you someday and it will all be worth the wait! Always here if you would like to message for further advice or a chat etc :)

Reactions: Daniel Boden

bronson

Distinguished Member
Nov 23, 2018

"The average age entered onto the roll in 2016-17, across both genders, is 29.5 years" https://www.lawsociety.org.uk/law-careers/becoming-a-solicitor/entry-trends/

You got aaaaages do not worry about age. If anything enjoy the freedom and experiences you have while you're still young. Good luck!

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Reactions: STWO

R97

Mar 8, 2018

Did the AC this year... nothing to out of the ordinary to be honest. They look for both law and non-law work exp, but a focus on law is required.

J.S... I would apply for their VS

Anyway here is the K&E AC Outline:

- Partner Q&A
- Negotiation 1v12 (1 min pitching speech each then everyone votes after a debate)
- In-tray exercise (Look out for the red herring!)
- Write a letter to Grad-Rec about skills needed for a good K&E trainee
- Partner interview

Important note... You are not really benchmarked when you get to the AC stage - they see who interacts well with the other ppl on the AC and as long as you do well enough on the tasks you'll be grand

• ℹ️
Reactions: Daniel Boden

WannabeSolicitor24

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer 26
  • Apr 14, 2020
    Hi @Jaysen - I am doing the Kirkland application this autumn - they have slightly edited the transactional question so it is now: ''Why do you want to be a trainee solicitor in a transactional focused firm?''.

Do you think I can talk more generally about the nature of transactional work (linking back to previous WE) and the emphasis on client relationships, and then go all out for Why Kirkland/PE in the Cover Letter, or still have this in the application question?

Thanks!

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi @Jaysen - I am doing the Kirkland application this autumn - they have slightly edited the transactional question so it is now: ''Why do you want to be a trainee solicitor in a transactional focused firm?''.

Do you think I can talk more generally about the nature of transactional work (linking back to previous WE) and the emphasis on client relationships, and then go all out for Why Kirkland/PE in the Cover Letter, or still have this in the application question?

Thanks!

Yep, so I think they changed this last year.

As you said, you can focus on why Kirkland/PE in your cover letter and focus your answer here on your interest in transactional work/the stuff that goes along with being at a transactional focused firm.

I would flag that I have seen some people use this answer to discuss their interest in Kirkland's private equity practice. In their cover letter, they then focused on their other reasons for being interested in Kirkland outside of the work.

I think both approaches work!

Zoo

Esteemed Member
    Future Trainee
    Apr 21, 2019
    Does Kirkland recruit students beyond their penultimate year for the vac scheme? I am a third year law student and their brochure makes me a bit confused as to whether I'm allowed to.

They do from my experience, unless they have changed for this cycle. Last cycle I got to the AC for their vac scheme as a graduate.

M&Amakesmyday

Star Member
    Oct 30, 2021
    Hey, I noticed that Kirkland's question have a 400 word limit. I can't write even close to 300 words for the "what is your proudest achievement and why" question. I've done STAR and everything. Is 300 words okay?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hey, I noticed that Kirkland's question have a 400 word limit. I can't write even close to 300 words for the "what is your proudest achievement and why" question. I've done STAR and everything. Is 300 words okay?
    Have you covered Result and Reflection in the R part of STAR?

If so, it won’t be an issue if the answer is only 300 words. It is better for the answer to be concise and well structured rather than waffly just to fill a word count.

M&Amakesmyday

Star Member
    Oct 30, 2021
    Have you covered Result and Reflection in the R part of STAR?

If so, it won’t be an issue if the answer is only 300 words. It is better for the answer to be concise and well structured rather than waffly just to fill a word count.
    Thank you for that! I have covered the reflection. I am having the same problem with the rest of the questions too and I was hoping for the reassurance that I didn't need to waffle to meet the 400 words. Someone told me that you always have to meet the law firm's word count +/- 10% max.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thank you for that! I have covered the reflection. I am having the same problem with the rest of the questions too and I was hoping for the reassurance that I didn't need to waffle to meet the 400 words. Someone told me that you always have to meet the law firm's word count +/- 10% max.
    For a 250 word answer, I’d probably recommend the 10% under rule (you can’t/shouldn’t go over), but for a 400 word answer for a competency question, I wouldn’t worry if it was slightly under. If it was a motivational answer, I would try and use the word count as much as you can though by going into additional factors that have influenced your application.

Reactions: George Maxwell

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.