Law Fair/Legal Events

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Asmee, Sep 4, 2019.

1. Asmee

Asmee Standard Member

TCLA Credits:
    As recruitment season is approaching, I was wondering about the sorts of questions I should be asking to Recruiters/Lawyers.

What are some of examples of questions that helped you decide on what firms to apply to for training contracts? What type of questions do you recommend regarding the application?

Aside from researching the firm's website, It's difficult to differentiate the law firm's culture and if it could be a good fit in such a short amount of time talking with recruiters and trainees.

Anything helps, thanks!

2. Jaysen

Jaysen Legendary Member
    Staff Member

TCLA Credits:
    I agree it's tough to work out how law firms are different.

I used to start by researching the website for the firm I wanted to speak to. If I came across areas I wanted to know more about then I'd use that as the basis for a question. When speaking to trainees, I'd ask more personal questions about how they've found their training contract, their hours, stuff they get involved in within the firm etc.

We recently shared a post on differentiating law firms, which you might find helpful. Try to also understand your audience (e.g. don't ask grad rec technical legal questions or partners about your LPC electives).

Becoming Great Entrepreneurs (1).png

• Like Like x 2
  3. Ami

Ami Standard Member
    Premium Member

TCLA Credits:
    Hi all, in keeping up with updating the community about upcoming law events, on Eventbrite there are free tickets available for “Jones Day Question Time London” by Graduate Recruitment. To those interested in Jones Day it will give us a good opportunity to meet/network with trainees, associates and partners and find out more about the firm in time for applications:)

London link (first session):
    https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/jones-day-question-time-london-tickets-69003008857?ref=eios

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Helena

Helena Legendary Member
    Premium Member

TCLA Credits:
    Does anyone know of a list of corporate events that are available to budding trainees? I don't mean Grad rec events as such but corporate talks, lectures, evening events, opportunities to network. I have found quite a few on Eventbrite but these seem to be for senior figures within law firms given the hefty price tag!
    Any help would be very much appreciated.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Salma

Salma Legendary Member
    Trainee

TCLA Credits:
    Legal cheek is free and the events they hold are very informative and helpful!

• Like Like x 4
  6. Lumree

Lumree Esteemed Member

TCLA Credits:
    I am going to a law fair at the end of the month and I’ve been planning some general questions that I want to ask the firms I’m interested in.

What I’ve tried to do is ask about something I’m interested in, then make it more personable. For example, the culture of the firm is an important factor in my decision making. So, I am going to ask something along the lines of ‘how does the collaborative nature of the firm influence your work/day?’ (Probably less formal than that but!) This, I hope, will help me put what I’ve read into context, which I can use to better understand how the firm operates.

The takeaway is do the research, find out what you’re interested in, and think about how you can ask an insightful question you can’t find online!

7. gricole

gricole Legendary Member
    Premium Member

TCLA Credits:
    I always find it helpful to ask about how trainees get work assigned to them as their answers are usually quite informative and telling of the mentoring and feedback processes at the firm. Be mindful of who to direct your questions to: it may sound obvious but you don't want to be asking GR about a recent deal that interested you. A topic that usually goes down well with the more senior members of the firm relates to the business objectives of the firm i.e. their international strategy, growth, lateral hires etc.

• Like Like x 2