Legal-Tech Paralegal Job

Mr R0cCk0

Standard Member
Premium Member
Jun 6, 2020
Hi,

Long story short, I've been spending the last few years building up my work experiences since the completion of the LPC in 2018. I recently secured a job as a paralegal in a legal-tech company which I am due to start in March - has anyone had experiences of working in legal-tech? If so, what is it like and how can it help towards securing a TC at a commercial law firm later down the line?

Advice from anyone is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Ahi88

Future Trainee
  • Feb 29, 2020
    Firstly, congrats on securing a paralegal role in legal-tech! It will definitely be useful for you to gain experience if you are hoping to secure a TC in the future.

I have not had experience working in legal tech myself but have briefly come across this at my own firm through autonomous document review for disclosure in litigation. What I can say is that it is an actively developing and innovative area and many commercial law firms are using these technologies to improve efficiency and deliver value for their clients.

Working as a paralegal in this area and having first hand experience will be useful for you to develop commercial awareness. Being able to draw from your own experiences in legal tech allows you to deepen your understanding of why and how firms are utilising these technologies from a practical perspective. Therefore it might be useful to understand how your role fits within the bigger picture of innovation within the legal industry and to understand what motivates these decisions.

Wishing you the best of luck!

Reactions: Mr R0cCk0

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Hi!

Congrats on securing the paralegal role! I know @Alice G worked with a legal tech platform before securing her TC so maybe she'll be able to give you a better insight. ☺️

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Hi,

Long story short, I've been spending the last few years building up my work experiences since the completion of the LPC in 2018. I recently secured a job as a paralegal in a legal-tech company which I am due to start in March - has anyone had experiences of working in legal-tech? If so, what is it like and how can it help towards securing a TC at a commercial law firm later down the line?

Advice from anyone is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    Hey! So I worked in LegalTech between January and July last year and absolutely loved it! It was something I didn't know too much about and I am not very 'techy' in the most traditional sense and have never been into coding etc so for me I really was grateful to get stuck into something new where I knew I could learn and grow a lot. I think with any job you get out what you put in so be proactive about learning and ask to get involved in stuff - the worst that can happen is you get a 'no' but in asking you can be exposed to some really cool workstreams. Also, I found that the culture at the company where I worked was amazing - everyone was so lovely and always had time to answer questions and asking to get involved showed enthusiasm which goes a long way.

I think the job helped me get a TC in a few ways. Firstly, my confidence was high because I was enjoying what I was doing and had had good feedback on my work/progress so I felt really empowered and valued in my team which really helped me personally as lacking confidence was an issue for me. I also worked alongside two former corporate lawyers who I constantly learned from, whether it be about LegalTech or how businesses are run etc or just chatting about topical stuff. I worked alongside a non-lawyer too who worked more on the client side who also really helped me understand the business side to things and I saw them interacting with clients a lot which was great experience/exposure. I also felt much more confident about law firms as businesses, why they need tech, how it enhances a firm's offering etc.

This is quite rambly but I do hope it helps and congrats on the role! Take every opportunity and hope you love the industry as much as i did.

Mr R0cCk0

Standard Member
    Premium Member
    Jun 6, 2020
    Hey! So I worked in LegalTech between January and July last year and absolutely loved it! It was something I didn't know too much about and I am not very 'techy' in the most traditional sense and have never been into coding etc so for me I really was grateful to get stuck into something new where I knew I could learn and grow a lot. I think with any job you get out what you put in so be proactive about learning and ask to get involved in stuff - the worst that can happen is you get a 'no' but in asking you can be exposed to some really cool workstreams. Also, I found that the culture at the company where I worked was amazing - everyone was so lovely and always had time to answer questions and asking to get involved showed enthusiasm which goes a long way.

I think the job helped me get a TC in a few ways. Firstly, my confidence was high because I was enjoying what I was doing and had had good feedback on my work/progress so I felt really empowered and valued in my team which really helped me personally as lacking confidence was an issue for me. I also worked alongside two former corporate lawyers who I constantly learned from, whether it be about LegalTech or how businesses are run etc or just chatting about topical stuff. I worked alongside a non-lawyer too who worked more on the client side who also really helped me understand the business side to things and I saw them interacting with clients a lot which was great experience/exposure. I also felt much more confident about law firms as businesses, why they need tech, how it enhances a firm's offering etc.

This is quite rambly but I do hope it helps and congrats on the role! Take every opportunity and hope you love the industry as much as i did.
    That's great, thank you for your response Alice.

Reactions: Alice G

Mr R0cCk0

Standard Member
    Premium Member
    Jun 6, 2020
    Firstly, congrats on securing a paralegal role in legal-tech! It will definitely be useful for you to gain experience if you are hoping to secure a TC in the future.

I have not had experience working in legal tech myself but have briefly come across this at my own firm through autonomous document review for disclosure in litigation. What I can say is that it is an actively developing and innovative area and many commercial law firms are using these technologies to improve efficiency and deliver value for their clients.

Working as a paralegal in this area and having first hand experience will be useful for you to develop commercial awareness. Being able to draw from your own experiences in legal tech allows you to deepen your understanding of why and how firms are utilising these technologies from a practical perspective. Therefore it might be useful to understand how your role fits within the bigger picture of innovation within the legal industry and to understand what motivates these decisions.

Wishing you the best of luck!
    Great to know how transferable this role will be for me in the future. Thank you.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.