• Applications for Shearman & Sterling's vacation schemes are now open! Apply now.
  • Applications for Willkie Farr & Gallagher's vacation schemes close on the 20th December. Apply now!

Let's hear about TCLA members' hobbies!

F1_Legal

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 16, 2020
Can't believe this whole thread is basically about F1 and Chess and I'm only just finding out about it xD

@James Carrabino Drive to Survive is good, but honestly just check f1.com for when the next race is and tune in (Sun 5th December at 5:30pm).
There are only 2 races left in the championship and the title contenders are only 8 points apart.

Definitely up for a game of chess with anyone.
Don't want to sound cocky, but I'm in and around the 2000 elo rating online 🙃

James Carrabino

Esteemed Member
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 12, 2021
Can't believe this whole thread is basically about F1 and Chess and I'm only just finding out about it xD

@James Carrabino Drive to Survive is good, but honestly just check f1.com for when the next race is and tune in (Sun 5th December at 5:30pm).
There are only 2 races left in the championship and the title contenders are only 8 points apart.

Definitely up for a game of chess with anyone.
Don't want to sound cocky, but I'm in and around the 2000 elo rating online 🙃
Wow that's an amazing chess rating! I guess I'd only have a chance against you in four-player chess 🤣 And thanks so much for the F1 rec - I remember seeing your username and wondering whether I should link you to this thread! Turns out I have a couple of friends who are quite into F1 so may ask them if they'll watch with me :) Do you have any other hobbies?

F1_Legal

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 16, 2020
Cheers ahaha! Funnily enough, there is actually a 3-player chessboard which is crazy (google it).

Other hobbies:
I love working out, so I try and go to the gym every morning.
I enjoy most racket sports so badminton, table tennis and tennis.

I do really enjoy playing chess ngl, and weirdly I enjoy longer games rather than blitz.
While there is the theoretical approach to chess and just learning theory and openings, I enjoy the middle game more, where you have to think on the spot and come up with good combinations of moves. I've never bothered learning openings and I'm still a decent player, so I would advise anyone getting into chess to just get stuck in and play games against others online.
I would avoid blitz at the beginning, but rather 10 minute games where you have some time to think.

RoughWood

Valued Member
Premium Member
Feb 24, 2021
Cheers ahaha! Funnily enough, there is actually a 3-player chessboard which is crazy (google it).
We've got one! My daughter loves chess and my parents got it for her Xmas last year so we could all play together....very fun, easily confusing but great! The board is hexagonal! I recommend it for anyone who is a fan of the game