Let's hear about TCLA members' hobbies!

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 14, 2019
Hey @James Carrabino @F1_Legal I just realised that I know this story and this is something that I'm genuinely interested in. Also, there is a great legal element to it but it is largely rule interpretation (because of some clause that Masi violated) so I have no idea about how a law firm could get involved here. My question is, do you think this qualifies for a good response to "What's a recent news story that you're interested in?" as this still feels like gossip.

Thanks a lot.

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021
Hey @James Carrabino @F1_Legal I just realised that I know this story and this is something that I'm genuinely interested in. Also, there is a great legal element to it but it is largely rule interpretation (because of some clause that Masi violated) so I have no idea about how a law firm could get involved here. My question is, do you think this qualifies for a good response to "What's a recent news story that you're interested in?" as this still feels like gossip.

Thanks a lot.
Apologies for not seeing this sooner. Unless there is a commercial element to this story then I am not sure it would be the best answer, although I do not quite know enough about the story to be able to opine on it!

John Doe

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Aug 18, 2021
Wow, I have been around this forum for some months only to realise now that there is such a thread like this! Hi all, you may have seen me, John Doe, occasionally participating in the forum discussion. My hobbies/interests are:

1. Formula One! Yes, I am rather pleasantly surprised by how popular F1 seems to be on this forum. The 2021 season has been extremely exciting, but the final showdown was rather draining with all the controversies. Luckily, the new generation of cars in 2022 has excited me again!

2. Jazz! I listen to all kinds of music, but half of my time is spent on Jazz 🎷. I have really wanted to become an expert in the period between the 1950s-1970s (to get nerdy, how Swing became Bebop, Modal Jazz, and ultimately Free Jazz). I have taken the leap during the winter and bought my first saxophone. Hopefully, I will get to play some songs and stop sounding like a car honk very soon...

3. Languages! This is entirely inspired by my legal education. There was a period when I was fascinated by Latin maxims and, somehow, that translated into French. Now I am getting into the intermediate territory and hoping to master it. Since I also realised the power of language in the modern world, I am hoping to get into other popular languages like Spanish once I am happy with my French.

4. MBTI personalities! This might be an odd one, but since I began to invest my time in pursuing a commercial law career, I have wanted to understand how my INFP personality can fit into the world of commercial law and what are my strengths and weaknesses. It is also very helpful to understand what are the differences between personality types - I find it a great help when I interact with people.

5. Podcasts! Any history enthusiasts here? There are many brilliant history podcasts, although I am rather a big fan of "The Rest Is History" hosted by Tom Holland and Dominic Sandbrook. The duo is great fun - informative and entertaining.

PirateShip

Esteemed Member
Premium Member
Feb 3, 2021
I've been getting really into watches lately.

It actually started when I bought an Apple Watch about a month ago, but the thing took so long to arrive that in the meantime I had began researching and fallen in love with automatic pieces. By the time the Apple Watch had arrived I already knew I was going to replace it with an automatic piece so I sent it right back to get the money refunded.

I've decided if I manage to convert any of my vacation schemes then I'm going to buy myself a nice watch to mark the occassion.

Reactions: Alison C

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021
Wow, I have been around this forum for some months only to realise now that there is such a thread like this! Hi all, you may have seen me, John Doe, occasionally participating in the forum discussion. My hobbies/interests are:

1. Formula One! Yes, I am rather pleasantly surprised by how popular F1 seems to be on this forum. The 2021 season has been extremely exciting, but the final showdown was rather draining with all the controversies. Luckily, the new generation of cars in 2022 has excited me again!

2. Jazz! I listen to all kinds of music, but half of my time is spent on Jazz 🎷. I have really wanted to become an expert in the period between the 1950s-1970s (to get nerdy, how Swing became Bebop, Modal Jazz, and ultimately Free Jazz). I have taken the leap during the winter and bought my first saxophone. Hopefully, I will get to play some songs and stop sounding like a car honk very soon...

3. Languages! This is entirely inspired by my legal education. There was a period when I was fascinated by Latin maxims and, somehow, that translated into French. Now I am getting into the intermediate territory and hoping to master it. Since I also realised the power of language in the modern world, I am hoping to get into other popular languages like Spanish once I am happy with my French.

4. MBTI personalities! This might be an odd one, but since I began to invest my time in pursuing a commercial law career, I have wanted to understand how my INFP personality can fit into the world of commercial law and what are my strengths and weaknesses. It is also very helpful to understand what are the differences between personality types - I find it a great help when I interact with people.

5. Podcasts! Any history enthusiasts here? There are many brilliant history podcasts, although I am rather a big fan of "The Rest Is History" hosted by Tom Holland and Dominic Sandbrook. The duo is great fun - informative and entertaining.
I've been getting really into watches lately.

It actually started when I bought an Apple Watch about a month ago, but the thing took so long to arrive that in the meantime I had began researching and fallen in love with automatic pieces. By the time the Apple Watch had arrived I already knew I was going to replace it with an automatic piece so I sent it right back to get the money refunded.

I've decided if I manage to convert any of my vacation schemes then I'm going to buy myself a nice watch to mark the occassion.
Hi @John Doe and @PirateShip, these are some really cool interests - thank you for sharing! I love hearing about TCLA members' non-law interests and I am glad that you are both helping to keep this thread going 😊

s10

Distinguished Member
Oct 1, 2020
Just saw this thread - and I'm going to pop in and say hi!
I am really passionate about *drum rolllll* interior design! Slightly off-beat hobby to have, I know, but ikea catalogues, interior design magazines, and learning about different schools of design really gets me going!

In fact, at one assessment centre, when the partner asked me "if not commercial law, what would you do", I instinctively replied "interior designer" without even realising that this was probably a time for me to answer something like finance or consulting, etc, etc.

Either way, thats my hobby, and I'd absolutely love to connect with anybody else here who enjoys beautiful architecture, interior design and has more couches than sneakers in their shopping wish list 🤣

George Maxwell

Administrator
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer 50
Oct 25, 2021
I am really passionate about *drum rolllll* interior design! Slightly off-beat hobby to have, I know, but ikea catalogues, interior design magazines, and learning about different schools of design really gets me going!

In fact, at one assessment centre, when the partner asked me "if not commercial law, what would you do", I instinctively replied "interior designer" without even realising that this was probably a time for me to answer something like finance or consulting, etc, etc.

Either way, thats my hobby, and I'd absolutely love to connect with anybody else here who enjoys beautiful architecture, interior design and has more couches than sneakers in their shopping wish list 🤣
Hey @s10!

This is awesome. Are you interested in architecture too or is it mainly interior design stuff? Interested to find out how you developed your interest and where it began

Reactions: s10

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021

This is great! I am in agreement with @George Maxwell - I would love to hear where this interest came from :)

Reactions: George Maxwell

F1_Legal

Distinguished Member
Junior Lawyer
Oct 16, 2020
Also @F1_Legal will you be able to explore your interest in F1 with the firm that you have obtained a TC with?
Not quite. They are heavily involved in tech so that's already a good start in terms of my interests.
But the dream to work in F1 is still there, I personally just felt I needed to qualify with a TC and get some PQE before I move in-house, and potentially directly at an F1 team as legal counsel. A lot of lawyers that work in F1 have qualified at a traditional law firm, so I'm just following that route.

Lisa Lowe

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Nov 26, 2019
Not quite. They are heavily involved in tech so that's already a good start in terms of my interests.
But the dream to work in F1 is still there, I personally just felt I needed to qualify with a TC and get some PQE before I move in-house, and potentially directly at an F1 team as legal counsel. A lot of lawyers that work in F1 have qualified at a traditional law firm, so I'm just following that route.
Great when you can align your passion with your career! Love hearing about people's long-term career goals.

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021
This sounds like an amazing route!

Reactions: F1_Legal

Alison C

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Nov 27, 2019
    Hi James! This is an amazing idea :)

Some of my hobbies/interests - I really enjoy photography and I have been trying to "build" my own freelance photography business for some time now. I have photographed some weddings but I am really proud to say I have photographed some of the biggest rock bands on the planet (and got in the gigs for free) :D I also really enjoy listening to music and creating spotify playlists to discover more artists. I also like working out (most of it is very intense strength training), reading crime novels and watching F1 (I really like to pretend to be the strategy analyst and commentator during the races).

Can't wait to hear some other people's interests :) Might even pick up a new hobby after that!
    F1 was actually the theme of one of my vac scheme exercises so you never know!
    @F1_Legal
    and anyone following F1 information:

John Doe

Valued Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Aug 18, 2021
    A shout for the motorsport fans - I saw earlier on LinkedIn's job section that Formula E is recruiting paralegals :)

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.