Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thanks for your response, Jessica! I am an EU student and have the pre-settled status under the EU settlement scheme (I have the right to work in the UK). I am also currently working as a paralegal at an MC firm in London. So I should be eligible to apply then.

Yes - you may want to make this clear on your application.

Have you got clearance from your MC firm to do a winter scheme at a competitor? Just be aware that I would expect many law firms to decline your request to take a week off to go to a competitor (unless your role finishes before the vacation scheme starts).

castrooo

Legendary Member
Sep 17, 2020
Yes - you may want to make this clear on your application.

Have you got clearance from your MC firm to do a winter scheme at a competitor? Just be aware that I would expect many law firms to decline your request to take a week off to go to a competitor (unless your role finishes before the vacation scheme starts).

Would you generally recommend mentioning the right to work in the UK and my status under the EU settlement scheme on a CV (particularly for those applications where only a CV & cover letter are requested)?

I was initially planning to request annual leave for the time frame of the vacation scheme. But should probably look into this and ask my supervisor! Thanks for pointing it out!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Would you generally recommend mentioning the right to work in the UK and my status under the EU settlement scheme on a CV (particularly for those applications where only a CV & cover letter are requested)?

I was initially planning to request annual leave for the time frame of the vacation scheme. But should probably look into this and ask my supervisor! Thanks for pointing it out!

Annual leave isn’t the issue - it is that your contract will probably state you cannot be employed elsewhere or that you will need to declare it and it will need to be approved. As you are potentially working for a direct competitor, that is likely to be an issue. Many firms wouldn’t allow it due to conflicts.

For anyone who isn’t a U.K. citizen but who have the automatic right to work in the U.K. for the entirety of the period of the training contract (ie, if you are applying for a September 2023 contract, you have the right to work in the U.K. until October 2025), you should make this clear in your application somewhere, whether a cover letter or any extra information section.

TChopeful2021

Distinguished Member
Mar 21, 2020
For anyone who isn’t a U.K. citizen but who have the automatic right to work in the U.K. for the entirety of the period of the training contract (ie, if you are applying for a September 2023 contract, you have the right to work in the U.K. until October 2025), you should make this clear in your application somewhere, whether a cover letter or any extra information section.

Hello Jessica, sorry to interrupt the conversation but I have a question regarding this point. In theory, I am able to complete a TC without a sponsor as I am from Hong Kong and am eligible for the Tier 5 YM Visa. This combined with the post-study visa would allow me to work in the UK for around 4 years - enough time to complete a TC. However, I would still like to be sponsored and complete my TC under a Tier 2 visa as the other two visas are short term and can not be extended. Should I mention this right to work in the UK even though I still require sponsorship? Thank you.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello Jessica, sorry to interrupt the conversation but I have a question regarding this point. In theory, I am able to complete a TC without a sponsor as I am from Hong Kong and am eligible for the Tier 5 YM Visa. This combined with the post-study visa would allow me to work in the UK for around 4 years - enough time to complete a TC. However, I would still like to be sponsored and complete my TC under a Tier 2 visa as the other two visas are short term and can not be extended. Should I mention this right to work in the UK even though I still require sponsorship? Thank you.

I am not sure/convinced you would be able to utilise a post study visa and a youth mobility visa together. Have you received legal guidance to say that is possible (although given the guidance on the graduate visa isn’t even finalised from the government, I’m not sure anyone could guarantee this anyway).

Last edited:

castrooo

Legendary Member
Sep 17, 2020
Annual leave isn’t the issue - it is that your contract will probably state you cannot be employed elsewhere or that you will need to declare it and it will need to be approved. As you are potentially working for a direct competitor, that is likely to be an issue. Many firms wouldn’t allow it due to conflicts.

Thank you so much for your help! I will look into this!

TChopeful2021

Distinguished Member
Mar 21, 2020
I am not sure/convinced you would be able to utilise a post study visa and a youth mobility visa together. Have you received legal guidance to say that is possible?
Only my university's career services but I don't think they are experts in this area. I am planning on applying for the post-study visa and then switch to the Tier 5 after that expires. I've only consulted the online resources and couldn't find any explicit restrictions surrounding this area. The only requirement is that the YM visa application should be made in my home country. I might seek legal guidance if this is a viable route.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Only my university's career services but I don't think they are experts in this area. I am planning on applying for the post-study visa and then switch to the Tier 5 after that expires. I've only consulted the online resources and couldn't find any explicit restrictions surrounding this area. The only requirement is that the YM visa application should be made in my home country. I might seek legal guidance if this is a viable route.

I don’t think you can guarantee this. I know you couldn’t move from a PS visa to a Tier 5 when they existed pre 2009.

There are various other issues here - you’ll need to apply for the Tier 5 in your home country and that means you’d need to return home to go through the process - which isn’t always practical in a TC.

Neither route will also give you ILR while a Tier 2 would.

I think you could mention you would explore the combination of a Tier 5 and graduate route visa, but would prefer to be supported with a Tier 2. But I don’t think you can say on an application you will have the automatic right to work in the U.K. at this stage.

• ℹ️
Reactions: Alice G and TChopeful2021

Paralegal178

Esteemed Member
Future Trainee
May 27, 2019
Thank you so much for your help! I will look into this!

Hey, I was in your situation when applying for Links’ winter VS last year - I was working as a paralegal at a different magic circle firm. I would just make your supervisor aware that you’re applying early on so that it’s not a surprise if you get onto the scheme. I had to use annual leave and requested that I be placed in a different team to that which I was currently working in to avoid any conflicts. Hopefully your team/supervisor will be supportive too!

Last edited:

Tushar

Distinguished Member
Mar 18, 2020
But for that, the eligibility is only penultimate year students. And I mean to ask this for other firms too, if that's the case, because, except for HSF, Links and A&O, no other firm has an India specific programme.

castrooo

Legendary Member
Sep 17, 2020
Hey, I was in your situation when applying for Links’ winter VS last year - I was working as a paralegal at a different magic circle firm. I would just make your supervisor aware that you’re applying early on so that it’s not a surprise if you get onto the scheme. I had to use annual leave and requested that I be placed in a different team to that which I was currently working in to avoid any conflicts. Hopefully your team/supervisor will be supportive too!

This is brilliant advice! I will be discussing this with my supervisor! Thanks for sharing your experience! :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
But for that, the eligibility is only penultimate year students. And I mean to ask this for other firms too, if that's the case, because, except for HSF, Links and A&O, no other firm has an India specific programme.

You should contact each firm and ask whether they can sponsor you for the scheme. This is unlikely given the high costs of a visa needed for such a short programme.

AverageHotSauce

Jun 16, 2020
Has anyone who applied for the Linklaters 'Direct Training Contract 2022' received an AC offer yet? My application has been 'on hold' since the end of July!

Same my friend. Same. according to previous posts, Adam said "15th September was the deadline for people on the third and final Linklaters vacation scheme to decide if they want to take up a training contract offer or not, so I’d imagine direct TC offers will go out fairly soon. Linklaters are still working out their intake cohorts for training contract holders at the moment anyway."

I guess patience is one of those things we need to learn through this application process :p

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.