Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi, I was wondering whether you have any tips/advice in regards to the linklaters TC app? Thank you.

I've just finished our Training Contract Applications: The 2018 Guide. It summarises almost everything I could tell you about writing a good training contract application ;).

That said, I have reviewed a few Linklaters' apps, as well as having applied there a few years ago, so if you have any specific app form questions, fire away.

Reactions: Jai C.

Jaxkw

Star Member
    Early Bird
    Mar 15, 2018
    Hey, I'm doing the Linklaters application at the moment and I'm struggling with the structure of the question "write about a current news article that has interested you, and how you feel that subject would affect Linklaters". Do you have any advice for that?Also any other tips for this question would be really helpful.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Some tips:
    • Pick a topic that interests you (not one that you think sounds impressive).
    • There's no set structure, but try to talk about both parts of the question evenly. This may be the easiest if you use one paragraph to explain the news article and a second paragraph to explain how it would affect Linklaters, but it's up to you.
    • Think about why the story interests you: What is the context? What are the broader implications?
    • Use specific detail to explain the story, think: Who are the parties? How much money was raised? Where did it take place? (Whatever is relevant to the question.)
    • Be specific in the way you link the story to Linklaters. Many students make blanket statements about how a story impacts commercial law firms. Or they tailor the story to Linklaters, but they aren't precise in their explanation of how it impacts the firm. For example, if you say X will impact the banking team: How will it impact the team? Why will it impact the team?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.