LLM - Personal Statement

FutureCity

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Dec 23, 2018
Hello,

I am considering applying for part-time LLM programs in London. I was wondering if anyone has gone through the process and could share recommendations/advice.

Also, any sample LLM Personal Statements that I can review? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Reactions: Lorenzo Pizarro

Karin

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 25, 2019
    Hello,

I am considering applying for part-time LLM programs in London. I was wondering if anyone has gone through the process and could share recommendations/advice.

Also, any sample LLM Personal Statements that I can review? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
    Hi! This may be quite late but I successfully applied for LLM at UCL so please drop me a message and I am happy to share my Personal Statement with you :)

• 🤝
    • 🏆
    Reactions: AbelKhan, Jaysen and FutureCity

Erica

Standard Member
    Apr 20, 2020
    Hello,

Thanks.

I'd be happy to share mine with you as well! I've written two statements, one for LSE and one for UCL - drop me a message.

alina asif

Sep 18, 2020
    I'd be happy to share mine with you as well! I've written two statements, one for LSE and one for UCL - drop me a message.
    Hi! This may be quite late but I successfully applied for LLM at UCL so please drop me a message and I am happy to share my Personal Statement with you :)

Hi Erica and Karin,

Hope you both are doing good. I am an international student applying at UCL and LSE for LLM 2021 and currently writing my statement of academic purpose. However, I'm really struggling with it. Therefore, I will be very thankful to you if you can provide me with any help and advice for writing an outstanding personal statement.

Thanks and Regards
    Alina Asif

Natalie Black

Distinguished Member
    Aug 13, 2018
    Hello,

Thanks.

Hiya, I did my LL.M at Leeds.

No one in history, has ever been rejected because their personal statement isnt strong enough. So don't stress yourself. Postgrad admission isnt as rigorous as rigorous as undergrad.

Be sure to assert clearly with atleast 3 reasons why you are attracted to the course. Spend two reasons speaking about why the uni, and then one reason speaking about how the LL.M will impact your future career. I did this in like 250 words all together.

• 🤝
    Reactions: AvniD, Alison C and IntrepidL

James Michael

Jul 1, 2019
    Hi Erica and Karin,

Hope you both are doing good. I am an international student applying at UCL and LSE for LLM 2021 and currently writing my statement of academic purpose. However, I'm really struggling with it. Therefore, I will be very thankful to you if you can provide me with any help and advice for writing an outstanding personal statement.

Thanks and Regards
    Alina Asif

Hi Alina,

I have just come across this thread;

I would also be happy to give any advice/share my statement for the UCL LLM should you want. :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: AbelKhan

FutureCity

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Dec 23, 2018
    Hiya, I did my LL.M at Leeds.

No one in history, has ever been rejected because their personal statement isnt strong enough. So don't stress yourself. Postgrad admission isnt as rigorous as rigorous as undergrad.

Be sure to assert clearly with atleast 3 reasons why you are attracted to the course. Spend two reasons speaking about why the uni, and then one reason speaking about how the LL.M will impact your future career. I did this in like 250 words all together.

Thanks, that’s good advice! I ended up getting accepted to all the three universities I applied to.

The personal statement is important but the structure you outlined does the job.

Law_Grad1

Star Member
    Oct 12, 2018
    Hey!

I did an LLM at UCL - happy to answer any questions you might have (just shoot me a PM!).

I split my UCL statement into three points:

1) why I'd chosen UCL (location + what it represents as an academic institution)
    2) why I'd chosen an LLM / my specific area (I'd written my dissertation on the area in undergrad and loved it so decided to continue at post-grad. Plus I absolutely love legal research)
    3) how I thought it would impact my career going forward.

Looking back, it was really just an 'okay' statement but I think, as has been said, its not as competitive as undergrad just because its not really necessary in the legal profession. (even though acceptance should definitely not be taken for granted!)

If you want any help on modules or professors I can offer my own experiences as examples, but I finished end of 2018 and graduated last summer so may be a bit dated.

E.A

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 11, 2019
    Hi Erica and Karin,

Thanks and Regards
    Alina Asif
    I applied to UCL and LSE in 2016 and got in so happy to share mine as well if you are interested! :) Let me know

• 🤝
    Reactions: Sayeema_k and AbelKhan

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hey!

I did an LLM at UCL - happy to answer any questions you might have (just shoot me a PM!).

I split my UCL statement into three points:

1) why I'd chosen UCL (location + what it represents as an academic institution)
    2) why I'd chosen an LLM / my specific area (I'd written my dissertation on the area in undergrad and loved it so decided to continue at post-grad. Plus I absolutely love legal research)
    3) how I thought it would impact my career going forward.

Looking back, it was really just an 'okay' statement but I think, as has been said, its not as competitive as undergrad just because its not really necessary in the legal profession. (even though acceptance should definitely not be taken for granted!)

If you want any help on modules or professors I can offer my own experiences as examples, but I finished end of 2018 and graduated last summer so may be a bit dated.

I think this is a great structure to go with - I have reviewed some LLM applications from my time working in careers services and I'd generally recommend this approach. Obviously how much weighting you put on each section is very much down to you and your motivations.

The only thing I could say to potentially include is how you think you may fit into/support the wider LLM/student community. Sometimes people will mention this and what they are looking to get out of their time at the university beyond the completion of the degree.

Erica

Standard Member
    Apr 20, 2020
    Hi Erica and Karin,

Thanks and Regards
    Alina Asif
    I've just sent you a PM!

James Michael

Jul 1, 2019
    If you don't have a first at undergrad (strong 2:1 thought) but a distinction at GDL are there some good LLM Courses you can get into?
    Hi, in short - yes there are.

I'm not entirely sure what the stance is around Oxbridge or if there is leeway from a first, - but I know LSE, UCL, Durham, to name a few and (I think) all other very thorough established UK university have their requirements set a 2.1 at undergraduate. The distinction at GDL will only be more advantageous to you, if you were considering going down the LLM route.

E.A

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 11, 2019
    Hi, in short - yes there are.

I'm not entirely sure what the stance is around Oxbridge or if there is leeway from a first, - but I know LSE, UCL, Durham, to name a few and (I think) all other very thorough established UK university have their requirements set a 2.1 at undergraduate. The distinction at GDL will only be more advantageous to you, if you were considering going down the LLM route.
    I applied to LSE, UCL and King's and LSE required a 1st from my undergrad whereas UCL and King's required a high 2.1.

James Michael

Jul 1, 2019
    I applied to LSE, UCL and King's and LSE required a 1st from my undergrad whereas UCL and King's required a high 2.1.
    Was that from an LLB? If so, that's interesting. I'm sure LSE state that a strong 2:1 is acceptable, unless they've changed requirements since I applied in Feb. UCL I would take with a pinch of salt being a 'high 2:1' from personal experience, same with Kings. May have been different this year because of Covid but my conditionals were not what I'd have thought a 'strong 2:1' was. (65% +)o_O

E.A

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 11, 2019
    Was that from an LLB? If so, that's interesting. I'm sure LSE state that a strong 2:1 is acceptable, unless they've changed requirements since I applied in Feb. UCL I would take with a pinch of salt being a 'high 2:1' from personal experience, same with Kings. May have been different this year because of Covid but my conditionals were not what I'd have thought a 'strong 2:1' was. (65% +)o_O
    Yes, that was when I applied during my LLB. This was back in 2017 so it might have changed, but LSE for sure required a 1st from me. Yes UCL and King's said 65+ at the time. Perhaps they have changed their requirements :)

Reactions: James Michael

AbelKhan

Nov 19, 2020
    I'm currently in the process of applying for LLM but getting kind of stuck while writing my personal statement. If anyone is willing to share their personal statement with me, that would really help me out.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.