Mayer Brown - Application Advice

Oliver Gilliland

Distinguished Member
Sep 6, 2018
I went to an open day at Mayer Brown today and even met some fellow TCLA members. I thought I'd quickly summarise they key points grad rec made for successful applications and insight into the AC/Interviews.

Application

Stylistically MB prefer the less subtle approach i.e talking about a competency and linking it with an experience (as opposed to inferring the competency). Note this is the case for both the work experience section and the cover letter.

Structure of cover letter

500 words so relatively short. As a result grad rec emphasised 'why MB' should be the focus and also include 'why commercial law'. The 'why you' typically seen in cover letters seems to be almost optional and they suggested you can simply do a small paragraph on why you. However there is an extra curricular question in which you can use to sell the 'why you'.

No need for an address

Telephone Interview

Strength based with 7 questions over 20 minutes. Grad rec said answers would be shorter than typical competency questions and expect usually about a minute on each answer (but varies q to q ). Purpose is to look at how you would behave moving forward , opposed to competency which focuses on what you have already done.

AC

8 AC days with 64 places and they have not invited anyone to AC yet.

They said if you apply now should hear back early Jan.

Structure

- Partner competency interview
- Written exercise ; usually summarising article and proof reading
- Find fact exercise ; In a room with a associate who gives you a scenario - have to make a decision and present it back to them. The key here is to ask relevant questions to build the case and think about what the client needs (very commercial awareness based by the sounds of it).
--Group exercise ; don't think they gave any details on this

Last edited:
  • 🏆
  • ℹ️
Reactions: layk, Biena, Julian Ng and 11 others

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    I went to an open day at Mayer Brown today and even met some fellow TCLA members. I thought I'd quickly summarise they key points grad rec made for successful applications and insight into the AC/Interviews.

Application

Stylistically MB prefer the less subtle approach i.e talking about a competency and linking it with an experience (as opposed to inferring the competency). Note this is the case for both the work experience section and the cover letter.

500 words so relatively short. As a result grad rec emphasised 'why MB' should be the focus and also include 'why commercial law'. The 'why you' typically seen in cover letters seems to be almost optional and they suggested you can simply do a small paragraph on why you. However there is an extra curricular question in which you can use to sell the 'why you'.

No need for an address

Telephone Interview

Strength based with 7 questions over 20 minutes. Grad rec said answers would be shorter than typical competency questions and expect usually about a minute on each answer (but varies q to q ). Purpose is to look at how you would behave moving forward , opposed to competency which focuses on what you have already done.

AC

Structure

- Find fact exercise ; In a room with a associate who gives you a scenario - have to make a decision and present it back to them. The key here is to ask relevant questions to build the case and think about what the client needs (very commercial awareness based by the sounds of it).

Thanks for sharing Oliver. I'm pleased to hear you met some TCLA members!

J Wu

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 11, 2018
    Structure

I did the AC last year, and the format seems the same. Some other notable things:

- The partner interview was CV-blind and consisted of a mix of motivational questions, strength-based questions and situational questions (i.e. what would you do in X situation). Everyone was asked the same questions. One screwball question was who I thought was the most influential person in history. They way they asked some of the questions surprised me. Rather than asking why Mayer Brown, they just asked what do I know about Mayer Brown. I didn't quite recognise that this was where I should've talked about my motivation for joining Mayer Brown and in my feedback, they mentioned they questioned my commitment to joining the firm.

- The written exercise involved a long article (I can't remember exactly, but 20+ pages). The exercise is incredibly time-pressured and condensing the article on one page is incredibly difficult. Apparently, not many finish and they care more about the quality of your writing.

- I enjoyed the fact-finding exercise. Our scenario was a potential JV or acquisition (I can't remember which) in the pharmaceutical sector and we had to pick between two companies. We had 15 minutes to ask questions (the associate has a fact sheet) and build our case, and then we had to deliver a 5-minute pitch about which company we chose to acquire or work with. There are many factors to consider (IP, litigation, reputation, international footprint, profit, how long the company has been operating, etc.).

- For the group exercise, we had a brief (I'm afraid I've forgotten the topic) - there was a 25-minute discussion, followed by a timed presentation and some questions from grad rec. Everyone in the group must speak, but some people massively run over. Standard group exercise behaviour applies - contribute to the group, take other peoples' viewpoints into consideration and remember they are assessing your ability to work in a team.

Oliver Gilliland

Distinguished Member
    Sep 6, 2018
    I did the AC last year, and the format seems the same. Some other notable things:

- The partner interview was CV-blind and consisted of a mix of motivational questions, strength-based questions and situational questions (i.e. what would you do in X situation). Everyone was asked the same questions. One screwball question was who I thought was the most influential person in history. They way they asked some of the questions surprised me. Rather than asking why Mayer Brown, they just asked what do I know about Mayer Brown. I didn't quite recognise that this was where I should've talked about my motivation for joining Mayer Brown and in my feedback, they mentioned they questioned my commitment to joining the firm.

- The written exercise involved a long article (I can't remember exactly, but 20+ pages). The exercise is incredibly time-pressured and condensing the article on one page is incredibly difficult. Apparently, not many finish and they care more about the quality of your writing.

- I enjoyed the fact-finding exercise. Our scenario was a potential JV or acquisition (I can't remember which) in the pharmaceutical sector and we had to pick between two companies. We had 15 minutes to ask questions (the associate has a fact sheet) and build our case, and then we had to deliver a 5-minute pitch about which company we chose to acquire or work with. There are many factors to consider (IP, litigation, reputation, international footprint, profit, how long the company has been operating, etc.).

- For the group exercise, we had a brief (I'm afraid I've forgotten the topic) - there was a 25-minute discussion, followed by a timed presentation and some questions from grad rec. Everyone in the group must speak, but some people massively run over. Standard group exercise behaviour applies - contribute to the group, take other peoples' viewpoints into consideration and remember they are assessing your ability to work in a team.

Just to add on, grad rec mentioned they had scrapped the 'screwball question' "who I thought was the most influential person in history". But I'd imagine they'd just replace it with a similar one so people haven't prepped for it.

R203

Legendary Member
  • Dec 14, 2018
    @Jessica Booker

Hi Jessica! I have a question regarding this thread - hope you could advice.

I am wondering for the 500 words cover letter, based on Grad Rec's inclination towards addressing "why law" and especially "why Mayer Brown", would it be acceptable to not have a paragraph on "why me", and leave that to the following question?

Also, thank you so so much @Oliver Gilliland :):)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker

Hi Jessica! I have a question regarding this thread - hope you could advice.

I am wondering for the 500 words cover letter, based on Grad Rec's inclination towards addressing "why law" and especially "why Mayer Brown", would it be acceptable to not have a paragraph on "why me", and leave that to the following question?

Also, thank you so so much @Oliver Gilliland :):)

If there is another question/section that covers this, don’t include it in your cover letter.

• 🏆
    Reactions: R203

Lumree

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Highest Rated Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019

Application

No need for an address

Telephone Interview

AC

Structure

This is excellent!

On the application part, you say they prefer the more obvious approach for both the cover letter and experience section. I understand how you might do this on the experience part, but I’m not too sure for the cover letter.

Would it just be a case of explicitly saying, for example, ‘I’m interested in commercial law because of X. I learnt this from doing Y’?

R203

Legendary Member
  • Dec 14, 2018
    @Jessica Booker
    Thank you! :)

Also, since Mayer Brown prefers the less subtle way about introducing competencies when writing about work experiences and application questions, would you suggest identifying competencies for every single work experience? Would it be okay if we merely outlined the work we did for some if the competency is very clear?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker
    Thank you! :)

Also, since Mayer Brown prefers the less subtle way about introducing competencies when writing about work experiences and application questions, would you suggest identifying competencies for every single work experience? Would it be okay if we merely outlined the work we did for some if the competency is very clear?

I don’t really understand their approach to be honest, so can’t advise on that one.

Lumree

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Highest Rated Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    If there is another question/section that covers this, don’t include it in your cover letter.

Hi Jessica,

the only other place would be where it asks us to “list your work experience in reverse chronological order, most recent first. Include any paid, voluntary, and/or charitable work experience.”

At the moment, I’ve just left my cover letter as ‘why law’ and ‘why Mayer Brown’ and left the work experience section as above to cover my ‘why me’ through inferring skills. I haven’t connected these skills to Mayer Brown.

Would this be ok? I feel like including a my ‘why me’ section in the cover letter would only repeat my experiences and my reasons for ‘why Mayer Brown.’

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica,

the only other place would be where it asks us to “list your work experience in reverse chronological order, most recent first. Include any paid, voluntary, and/or charitable work experience.”

At the moment, I’ve just left my cover letter as ‘why law’ and ‘why Mayer Brown’ and left the work experience section as above to cover my ‘why me’ through inferring skills. I haven’t connected these skills to Mayer Brown.

Would this be ok? I feel like including a my ‘why me’ section in the cover letter would only repeat my experiences and my reasons for ‘why Mayer Brown.’

Sounds like a reasonable approach given what’s been said in this thread.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.