Middle East Training Contracts - Arabic skills

1raqi

Gold Member
Premium Member
Aug 17, 2023
Hello,

I'm planning on applying to several Middle East Training Contracts (Doha and Dubai). My questions are:
1. At what stage of the application process is your Arabic level tested?
2. Is the vac scheme work in Arabic or English?

Thanks!

Interested_In_Law

Sep 21, 2022
Hi!

I'm about to do a vacation scheme at Latham & Watkins in Dubai (although they don't offer Middle East Training Contracts). I guess I can help with the first question.

In my interviews, a lot of the questions were about trying to gauge my level of Arabic, why I study it, and how I have found the learning experience, but they didn't put me on the spot and ask me to speak Arabic there and then. I thought that they would want to confirm my level but I think it depends on the situation, and actually in my first interview, neither of the interviewers spoke Arabic themselves.

For Latham, I'm pretty confident that the majority of work on the vac scheme itself will be in English (whereas on a training contract there would be a lot more opportunities to meet with clients for example and use Arabic) but I can update you after the scheme if that actually isn't the case!

I would also add that this might vary according to the firm, so you can always email them directly.

• Love
Reactions: 1raqi

1raqi

Gold Member
Premium Member
Aug 17, 2023
Thank you!
Hi!

I'm about to do a vacation scheme at Latham & Watkins in Dubai (although they don't offer Middle East Training Contracts). I guess I can help with the first question.

In my interviews, a lot of the questions were about trying to gauge my level of Arabic, why I study it, and how I have found the learning experience, but they didn't put me on the spot and ask me to speak Arabic there and then. I thought that they would want to confirm my level but I think it depends on the situation, and actually in my first interview, neither of the interviewers spoke Arabic themselves.

For Latham, I'm pretty confident that the majority of work on the vac scheme itself will be in English (whereas on a training contract there would be a lot more opportunities to meet with clients for example and use Arabic) but I can update you after the scheme if that actually isn't the case!

I would also add that this might vary according to the firm, so you can always email them directly.
Thank you!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.