Might have failed an undergraduate module - Implications

oost1234

Gold Member
Premium Member
May 22, 2022
Absolutely butchered my company law exam and I wouldn't be surprised if I receive a fail given the extent to which I think messed up the PQ. The questions are supposedly equally weighted but I just have this lingering feeling that the extent to which I messed it up will lead them to failing me on the whole module. My 2nd year average was 68, and I doubt I'll be getting a first to be honest.

For anyone else who has also failed a module, how did this impact your applications?

Last edited:
  • 🤝
Reactions: Lisa Lowe

Lisa Lowe

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Nov 26, 2019
Sorry to hear you're stressing out about this on a Sunday morning!

My advice is to just wait for the results - it's unlikely one question will mean you've failed the whole module. Looking at the bigger picture, if you do 8 modules across your second and third year, each module is worth 6.25% - so you're still on track to get a high 2:1. Worst case scenario is that if you fail, you have to retake and your grade is capped at 40%, but as I said you can still get a 2:1.

Regarding firms, I think all firms require you to list your modules and grades but application forms do ask you to declare any resits and you will have to answer this honestly, but I wouldn't start worrying about this now or writing yourself off because of one blip.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Absolutely butchered my company law exam I'm fairly certain and I wouldn't be surprised if I receive a fail given the extent to which I think messed up the PQ. The questions are supposedly equally weighted but I just have this lingering feeling that the extent to which I messed it up will lead them to failing me the whole module. My 2nd year average was 68, and I doubt I'll be getting a first to be honest.

For anyone else who has also failed a module, how did this impact your applications? Should I just move on and give up given that firms require each module grade to be listed?
I would wait until you know what the outcome is before worrying what might be.

You might not even need to move on.

oost1234

Gold Member
Premium Member
May 22, 2022
Sorry to hear you're stressing out about this on a Sunday morning!

My advice is to just wait for the results - it's unlikely one question will mean you've failed the whole module. Looking at the bigger picture, if you do 8 modules across your second and third year, each module is worth 6.25% - so you're still on track to get a high 2:1. Worst case scenario is that if you fail, you have to retake and your grade is capped at 40%, but as I said you can still get a 2:1.

Regarding firms, I think all firms require you to list your modules and grades but application forms do ask you to declare any resits and you will have to answer this honestly, but I wouldn't start worrying about this now or writing yourself off because of one blip.
Hi Lisa,

Thanks for the kind words. I think the most frustrating thing is that even though I recognise that constantly worrying and fretting is entirely unproductive (and arguably the least productive thing) it keeps popping into my mind and it's hard to snap out of the absolute panic that ensues. What's done is done and it's out of my control at this point.

In the grand scheme of things it is just one part of the whole application process as you said, and I know that, but for some reason I don't believe that, if that makes any sense (it probably doesn't). Perhaps I should just see the potential failure as motivation to really work on other aspects of applications and make those stand out.

I was aware of the requirement to list resits, and of course if worst comes to worst I would definitely not lie about it - doesn't exactly fit with the honesty requirements demanded by the SRA and firms haha.

Thanks again for the reassurance.

Last edited:

oost1234

Gold Member
Premium Member
May 22, 2022
I would wait until you know what the outcome is before worrying what might be.

You might not even need to move on.
Hi Jessica,

I think the most frustrating thing is that know I should wait rather than assume the absolute worst, but unfortunately it's easier said than done. I noticed that you work in graduate recruitment - how would you look at such a circumstance if a candidate were to have failed a module? I know that this is just worrying about what might be, which I also recognise as being completely unproductive and unhelpful, but my tendency to catastrophize anything and everything is really getting to me in this situation.

Thanks for the advice.

Reactions: Jaysen

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

I think the most frustrating thing is that know I should wait rather than assume the absolute worst, but unfortunately it's easier said than done. I noticed that you work in graduate recruitment - how would you look at such a circumstance if a candidate were to have failed a module? I know that this is just worrying about what might be, which I also recognise as being completely unproductive and unhelpful, but my tendency to catastrophize anything and everything is really getting to me in this situation.

Thanks for the advice.
Any perception is not binary - it really depends on the circumstances around it and other evidence.

I’ve lost count how many people have contacted me in absolute panic that they have failed and exam, only for a matter of weeks to find out they haven’t.

Rather than assuming anything, I think your first thing to do is to try and speak to one of your academics to get a gauge as from their expert opinion whether there is even an issue here. That would be a far more productive first step rather than concluding you have and working out the implications to a set of circumstances that might not even be happening.

oost1234

Gold Member
Premium Member
May 22, 2022
Any perception is not binary - it really depends on the circumstances around it and other evidence.

I’ve lost count how many people have contacted me in absolute panic that they have failed and exam, only for a matter of weeks to find out they haven’t.

Rather than assuming anything, I think your first thing to do is to try and speak to one of your academics to get a gauge as from their expert opinion whether there is even an issue here. That would be a far more productive first step rather than concluding you have and working out the implications to a set of circumstances that might not even be happening.
Sure thing, thanks for the guidance.

oost1234

Gold Member
Premium Member
May 22, 2022
I also failed two modules and still have two upcoming vacation schemes at leading firms, so hopefully, that will provide some perspective - You've got a strong 2.1, way higher than me so I believe you will be fine :)
Thanks a lot pal. So easy to get caught up over what is but one part of the whole application process. Hope you enjoy your Vac Schemes! :)

Reactions: Bestkid98

Velikilawyer123

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 37
Mar 4, 2020
Hey, I just want to chime in as it's well and good waiting for the actual results to come in but I also have a hard time not thinking about the "worst case scenario", especially when I have some reason to fear it might actually happen. A mate of mine failed a module in undergrad - he had no extenuating circumstances (at least none that firms would accept - it was a module he was uncomfortable with, left it for too long, and cherry on top is his roommates threw a massive party the night before his exam (I know, some roommates...)), and had to resit.

He still got invited to various 1st / 2nd round interviews, and not with bad firms either - from memory it was places like Sidley, Addleshaw, Pinsents, RPC, NRF, Reed Smith.

So I think the majority of firms won't view that as a deal-breaker, it will simply be a minus on your CV that you'll have to overcome by impressimg them in other ways. Very few firms have absolute first / high 2.1 requirements for all modules, I'd say probably only the elite, small cohort US firms like S&C, Davis Polk, Skadden, etc. (though Sidley apparently not). UK firms will likely be more forgiving, especially SC and below. So I'd recommend taking your chances with them if you do end up failing this module, and if you'd had your heart set on one of these US firms, well just remember it's VERY commom to go from UK (even non-MC / SC) to US firm once you're in practice, especially in a high-demand area (like corp, finance, PE / funds, DR, etc.).

So best of luck with all your exams, and now go enjoy the summer in the knowledge that whatever may happen it won't destroy your legal career in the long (or even short) run!

Last edited:

ma3795858

Feb 16, 2024
Hello,

I have resat a module in first year which resulted me getting a 2:2 in first year
do law firms consider this and will it affect my applications what if u get 2:1s in 2nd and third year but also have alot of experience with it?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.