Motivation for those without stellar academics

jamielidchi

Apr 1, 2023
Hi guys

A few months ago, I successfully applied for TCLA's premium scholarship and meant to begin documenting my application cycle on here. As I'm currently working as a paralegal and applying for TCs at the same time, I didn't really get chance!

A couple of days ago I was finally offered a TC at a magic circle firm, so I thought I'd write a quick post on here as I know those of you without a perfect academic record worry about your grades holding you back.

My profile - BCC at A level (with mitigating circumstances that led to me working in two jobs alongside my studies) and a 61% 2:1 at a non-RG uni. I also got a 2:2 in Contract. Pretty far from what most firms look for! I worked in two jobs during first year of uni and held one job for second and third year. I therefore didn't hold positions within the Law Society and had barely any extra-curriculars.

Post-uni I developed interesting hobbies, made a conscious effort to network by attending Legal Cheek events, invested some time learning about commercial law and the commercial world more generally, took rubbish temp paralegal jobs (which led to more interesting paralegal jobs) and basically worked extra hard to make my application strong to counteract my weaker grades. It took a couple of years and a fair few rejections, but I now have an offer from a great firm and an upcoming assessment centre at another magic circle firm. I also have a place on the Spring Vacation Scheme of a City law firm (that I won’t be undertaking)!

I guess my point is, we'll all get there. Don't write yourself off or compare yourself to anyone else. Be proactive in seeking opportunities that will help - TCLA, Strive, Aspiring Solicitors, Rare, even Instagrammers have useful info and resources that have helped me!

Please do feel free to reach out if you have any questions and I’ll try to help as much as I can :).

Best of luck everyone, keep applying and don't worry about rejections - literally everyone gets them!
Thanks for sharing this - really inspiring, as I'm in a similar position to that which you were in

Reactions: Jessica Booker

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.