My First Round of Training Contract Applications...

Samar

Valued Member
Future Trainee
Sep 28, 2019
Hi everyone,

I have been a bit of an avid stalker of TCLA since last year when I realised that there are so many people going through the same experiences simultaneously; so have found the forums to be such an interesting read.

I have received the TCLA scholarship this year which I am so grateful for and wanted to share my experiences through my first round of TC applications as I am sure I am about to embark on a rollercoaster of emotions!

Samar

Valued Member
Future Trainee
Sep 28, 2019
29/09/2019 - I am currently typing away my work experiences. I worked throughout university and made sure to really make the most of summers by getting a full time job each year so currently trying to remember exact dates of every employment is proving to be challenging on a Sunday evening(!)

Has anyone got any advice on how long each work experience section should be and if they use a set structure to go through each one? Would be great to use when I read over and make sure I have answered each questions for every stint.

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    29/09/2019 - I am currently typing away my work experiences. I worked throughout university and made sure to really make the most of summers by getting a full time job each year so currently trying to remember exact dates of every employment is proving to be challenging on a Sunday evening(!)

Has anyone got any advice on how long each work experience section should be and if they use a set structure to go through each one? Would be great to use when I read over and make sure I have answered each questions for every stint.
    In answer to your question re work experience, I literally just describe what I did and what I learned and so often go nowhere the word limits which seems to have worked for me thus far :)

Reactions: Alice G

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Hi! Congrats on the scholarship and welcome to the forum properly!
    I actually tend to use all 250 words for mine but it depends if you have things to say and I actually try to link to the firm and talk about specific skills which would help in a corporate law setting. This, again, all boils down to preference and people have done well approaching in many different ways so maybe see how you get on and what reads well to you :) always here to help if you want to share more specific examples etc :)

Reactions: Daniel Boden

Samar

Valued Member
    Future Trainee
    Sep 28, 2019
    Hi! Congrats on the scholarship and welcome to the forum properly!
    I actually tend to use all 250 words for mine but it depends if you have things to say and I actually try to link to the firm and talk about specific skills which would help in a corporate law setting. This, again, all boils down to preference and people have done well approaching in many different ways so maybe see how you get on and what reads well to you :) always here to help if you want to share more specific examples etc :)

250 seems like not a lot when you think about it but as soon as you copy and paste your sections in, it's actually a lot less than the word count so great to hear that you do use it as gives me an indicator that filling it isn't too much information.

I was actually hoping to have a chat with you Alice about your Shearman & Sterling application as know you did a vac scheme last year. What kind of interaction did you have with them beforehand etc? I met them at university maybe at the start of second year (I have now graduated) and took an interest to them but it would probably be the only US firm I apply for which makes me a bit nervous as not sure on their approach etc.

Reactions: Alice G

Samar

Valued Member
    Future Trainee
    Sep 28, 2019
    In answer to your question re work experience, I literally just describe what I did and what I learned and so often go nowhere the word limits which seems to have worked for me thus far :)

Okay fab, think I was overthinking that you'd have to relate it back to the skills of a commercial lawyer/trainee for every experience which becomes very repetitive over time.

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    250 seems like not a lot when you think about it but as soon as you copy and paste your sections in, it's actually a lot less than the word count so great to hear that you do use it as gives me an indicator that filling it isn't too much information.

I was actually hoping to have a chat with you Alice about your Shearman & Sterling application as know you did a vac scheme last year. What kind of interaction did you have with them beforehand etc? I met them at university maybe at the start of second year (I have now graduated) and took an interest to them but it would probably be the only US firm I apply for which makes me a bit nervous as not sure on their approach etc.

I’d start following them if social media, especially Instagram if they have it as they cover lots of ground with things like this. I always think it helps to meet them and I attended a presentation evening and also the women in law event they hold. There were a few men there last year showing their support as allies: it would be a good thing to attend as it’s held in their offices and a great chance to network :) I’d also recommend trying for an open day but don’t be disappointed or put off if you don’t get it as it’s very competitive and an actual vac application allows you to write more about you and your desire to work there. More than happy to help with your application if you’d like, feel free to message me and I will try to be as helpful as I can but remember it had to be authentic to you as well! Start your research and start to consider how you align with shearman and how you can demonstrate that through examples etc. Hope this helps you in some way and feel free to reach out whenever :)

Reactions: Jaysen

Samar

Valued Member
    Future Trainee
    Sep 28, 2019
    Ah amazing, yep I applied for the open day and women in law event at the weekend so just waiting to hear back on those. I went to a workshop they held in 2016 which is why I am trying to refresh this as definitely a bit outdated to just write that as your contact with a firm!

Will let you know if I have any questions so thanks for the help in advance!

Reactions: Eva and Alice G

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Ah amazing, yep I applied for the open day and women in law event at the weekend so just waiting to hear back on those. I went to a workshop they held in 2016 which is why I am trying to refresh this as definitely a bit outdated to just write that as your contact with a firm!

Will let you know if I have any questions so thanks for the help in advance!
    Absolutely and it shows your proactivity as well which goes a long way!! No problem at all :)

Samar

Valued Member
    Future Trainee
    Sep 28, 2019
    Was just wondering what people's 'strategies' are towards their careers whilst they are applying to law? Do people work jobs knowing they will not go down this route so not hugely bothered about it, or do you give another sector or career a shot whilst applying?

I have always had this in mind because wonder if I should be in a balanced job so I am less stressed during application season or should give another career (not law) a proper go in the meantime?

And side note about TC journey - just playing the waiting game now on a few apps! Hence the random ramblings above...

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.