My journey to a TC - seeking advice on how to improve

celine02

Mar 16, 2023
Hi everyone, I am currently a penultimate student studying law but has had an unsuccessful application cycle, and is starting a thread here to keep myself accountable and improve for next year's. I am also seeking advice on how to stay motivated throughout this summer while people around me go off on their vacation schemes.

Things to improve on:
  • Applications
    • Go to more open day/insight events to get a better idea of a firm's inner workings
    • Make sure I am relating my answers back to the firm when appropriate
  • Interviews
    • Be more confident! Don't feel like an imposter! You have made it this far - you are studying at a top RG university and doing okay despite a difficult year in your personal life
  • AC
    • Improve your commercial awareness, read more FT articles and think about how it relates to a law firm's work
    • Practice practice practice case studies!

Additionally:
  • What shall I do this summer to keep myself occupied? I would like to continue building up some soft skills which are transferable - I think it would be helpful regardless if it is non-law related just to build up my confidence
    • Part-time job? Volunteering work? Any ideas?
If anyone else has any advice, motivational quotes or even just to rant, feel free to reply to this thread! :))

Reactions: Erin and Jaysen

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Will be rooting for you - best of luck :)

When deciding what to do to build my confidence, I usually find it helpful to ask myself the question: What could I do that would be helpful right now that I am avoiding because it’s scary?

celine02

Mar 16, 2023
    Update:
    I am doing my summer VS interview with Stephenson Harwood next week after a successful WG test and case study!:)
    I am pleasantly surprised that I have made it this far. Any advice would be appreciated.

Reactions: Jaysen

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Update:
    I am doing my summer VS interview with Stephenson Harwood next week after a successful WG test and case study!:)
    I am pleasantly surprised that I have made it this far. Any advice would be appreciated.
    This is great news - well done!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.