My journey to a training contract

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Hello everyone,

Firstly I would like to thank Jaysen and the corporate law academy team for giving me this scholarship and am hoping that in 6 months time I will have secured a training contract with a law firm.

I am currently in my third year of my law degree at BPP Law School in London and am due to graduate in May and want to have a training contract before I graduate. This is my second application cycle and I have already faced the difficult challenges of being rejected from law firms in this cycle but am hopefully going to improve my application skills and get good results soon.

Chanelle

Jan 12, 2021
    Hi Asil,

I thought it might be beneficial to post mine here too, so we can all interact about our journeys on the same thread! I am incredibly grateful for this scholarship - thank you to Jaysen and the team for selecting me as well.

I completed my LLB at Brunel University in 2017, then my LPC between 2018-2020. Between these, I worked full-time in Zurich for 15 months, a FinTech start-up company for 6 months and have been working for an in-house legal team since Sept 2019.

TC-wise, I've been rejected in two previous cycles and this is my third attempt. The furthest I have gotten in the process was when Bristows invited me for the penultimate stage interview in 2019.

Hoping to improve my written applications and interviewing ability, as well as getting better at tests such as the Watson Glaser! I would love for this year to be the year I achieve getting an offer of a training contract.

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Hi both,

First off- very well done on securing your scholarships! It's a pleasure to have you both as a part of the forum.

I'm sure that being here will massively help you both learn and develop, remember too that we're always about to be tagged in questions or anything!

Congrats again :)

Reactions: Asil Ahmad

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hello everyone,

Firstly I would like to thank Jaysen and the corporate law academy team for giving me this scholarship and am hoping that in 6 months time I will have secured a training contract with a law firm.

I am currently in my third year of my law degree at BPP Law School in London and am due to graduate in May and want to have a training contract before I graduate. This is my second application cycle and I have already faced the difficult challenges of being rejected from law firms in this cycle but am hopefully going to improve my application skills and get good results soon.

Hi Asil,

I thought it might be beneficial to post mine here too, so we can all interact about our journeys on the same thread! I am incredibly grateful for this scholarship - thank you to Jaysen and the team for selecting me as well.

I completed my LLB at Brunel University in 2017, then my LPC between 2018-2020. Between these, I worked full-time in Zurich for 15 months, a FinTech start-up company for 6 months and have been working for an in-house legal team since Sept 2019.

TC-wise, I've been rejected in two previous cycles and this is my third attempt. The furthest I have gotten in the process was when Bristows invited me for the penultimate stage interview in 2019.

Hoping to improve my written applications and interviewing ability, as well as getting better at tests such as the Watson Glaser! I would love for this year to be the year I achieve getting an offer of a training contract.

Great to have both of you guys on here.

@Asil - do feel free to post if there's anything we can help you with.

@Chanelle - wow, it sounds like you have a very interesting background to draw from. I have my fingers crossed for you this year!

Reactions: Asil Ahmad

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Hi Asil,

Hello Chanelle,

Yes that sounds like a good idea and you have an interesting journey.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    I just made it past the first stage of Kennedys training contract now have to do the SST test. I spent a lot of time on the research of this application so it is progress. Any advice for the SST test as I have struggled with this test in the past.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    I just made it past the first stage of Kennedys training contract now have to do the SST test. I spent a lot of time on the research of this application so it is progress. Any advice for the SST test as I have struggled with this test in the past.

Great news Asil! I could only find this thread at the moment on the test as I can't say I'm familiar with it. I will keep an eye out!

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    I am in the process of submitting an application for Macfarlanes vacation scheme their deadline is 31st January and they recruit on a rolling basis. I am wondering if I should still submit an application or not because I have heard that they have held assessment centres already for vacation scheme application.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    I am in the process of submitting an application for Macfarlanes vacation scheme their deadline is 31st January and they recruit on a rolling basis. I am wondering if I should still submit an application or not because I have heard that they have held assessment centres already for vacation scheme application.

Hey Asil,

This is a tricky one. I think most people do apply closer to the deadline, it can just be harder because you are competing for fewer spaces. It doesn't mean that the firm won't still consider your application though.

I'm afraid I don't know of Macfarlanes' specific situation, so it's hard to say whether it's worth applying. If you really like the firm and there aren't any non-rolling firms you are still interested in, I'd still go for it.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Hey Asil,

This is a tricky one. I think most people do apply closer to the deadline, it can just be harder because you are competing for fewer spaces. It doesn't mean that the firm won't still consider your application though.

I'm afraid I don't know of Macfarlanes' specific situation, so it's hard to say whether it's worth applying. If you really like the firm and there aren't any non-rolling firms you are still interested in, I'd still go for it.
    Hello Jaysen,

Thank you for this and I understand your point I will submit the application and see how it goes.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Hello @Jaysen I am new to this forum so don't know much about the rules so wanted to ask can I change my profile to the premium member as I don't know to do and don't rules of the forum apologies.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hello @Jaysen I am new to this forum so don't know much about the rules so wanted to ask can I change my profile to the premium member as I don't know to do and don't rules of the forum apologies.
    Hi Asil - no trouble, do you mean a premium member badge? If so, I will update this now.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    An update on my legal journey.

My journey to securing a vacation scheme has come to an end for this year. But I will give a few direct training contract applications a try in June and July and if that does not work then we go again in September. I would like to thank TCLA team for all the resources available to me and the advice I get daily through the public forum.

• 🤝
    Reactions: Dheepa and Daniel Boden

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.