My Journey to TC

eleven14og

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Dec 8, 2021
    Hi everyone

The anxiety from VS apps kept me up so I decided to open this thread! I thought about creating this thread in November but it would be too embarrassed cuz i didn't submit any apps back then lol.

I am an LLB graduate currently working as a paralegal. It's my second year on the graduate visa so the clock is ticking! If any fellow international students has questions re graduate visa/paralegal works feel free to dm me! More than happy to help : )

This is my fourth cycle applying to VS/TC and I'm really hoping to land something this year. Here are the ones I have so far.

Gowling - VI invite
    PwC - VI invite
    Taylor Wessing - WG invite
    CMS - PFO
    Eversheds - VI invite
    Simmons - Submitted
    Fieldfisher - Submitted

and a few more to come

Some Firms I decided to apply for Direct TC

Ashurst (not the biggest fan of their orange logo pls bring the old one back )
    Addleshaw
    TLT
    Dentons
    Shoosmiths
    Farrer & Co

Wish everyone best of luck with their applications this cycle!

Last edited:

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Hi everyone

The anxiety from VS apps kept me up so I decided to open this thread! I thought about creating this thread in November but it would be too embarrassed cuz i didn't submit any apps back then lol.

I am an LLB graduate currently working as a paralegal. It's my second year on the graduate visa so the clock is ticking! If any fellow international students has questions re graduate visa/paralegal works feel free to dm me! More than happy to help : )

This is my fourth cycle applying to VS/TC and I'm really hoping to land something this year. Here are the ones I have so far.

Gowling - VI invite
    PwC - VI invite
    Taylor Wessing - WG invite
    CMS - PFO
    Eversheds - VI invite
    Simmons - Submitted
    Fieldfisher - Submitted

and a few more to come

Some Firms I decided to apply for Direct TC

Ashurst (not the biggest fan of their orange logo pls bring the old one back )
    Addleshaw

Wish everyone best of luck with their applications this cycle!
    This is such an excellent way to keep yourself accountable! I am sure that this application cycle will be very fruitful for you. I am sending you lots of positive energy and good luck with the application cycles! I will be waiting for updates regarding the process. As someone who went through the process last year and for the first time and he was successful, feel free to reach out if you need. The forum is a great place to seek advice and help regarding the application process!

• Love
    Reactions: eleven14og

eleven14og

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Dec 8, 2021
    I will try to post on this thread every week to keep track of my progress

Some new entries to the list:

Macfarlanes - submitted & completed online assessment
    WFW - submitted
    DWF - submitted (literally 10 min ago lol)

Updates on existing applications:

Gowling - PFO post VI
    Taylor Wessing - completed online test
    Simmons - finally received online test yesterday

Will also submit a few more apps with the 15 Jan deadline this weekend

I may apply for some more...? still deciding

I will update firms I intend to apply for direct TC in the original thread just to make it more organised.

Hope everyone has a good weekend😄

• 🤝
    Reactions: wannabesheridansmith

eleven14og

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Dec 8, 2021
    Updating this thread earlier than planned cuz the past few days were *chaotic*

Made four applications since Friday:

RPC
    Travers Smith (thought about ditching this but replies in the VS thread really motivated me!!)
    CRS
    OC - also just completed the verbal reasoning test

And I (kinda) decided on the firms I will be submitting VS apps to

Baker McKenzie
    Withers
    NRF

Don't know why but I got really hyped since submitting my apps yesterday lol. But I will try take some time off applications and continue with the remaining ones!

eleven14og

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Dec 8, 2021
    I did take some time off applications for the past week but I heard from a lot of the firms I applied to!

Starting off with good news:
    Taylor Wessing AC invite! yay my first AC this cycle and also the first one since i graduated!
    RPC WG invite
    Fieldfisher online test invite

Also got PFO from Macfarlanes and WFW.

Kinda expected the one from Macfarlanes. I did attend some events at the firm but I didn't really have much to say when answering why firm. I had a hard time convincing myself let alone grad rec. So I think even though it is a numbers game, genuine interest in the firms is still pretty important. I know it may not be the best strategy as someone who may be kicked out the the country in 10 months. But I don't think I can pretend to be interested in something and be happy with it. Also not so good at acting so grad rec would definitely tell if I'm faking it lol

With WFW I'm a bit surprised cuz I got to VI last summer for their direct TC. They changed their questions and I think I answered them pretty well. Although as part of the why firm question, they asked which area of work I'm interested in. I tend to struggle answering questions like this as it felt like naming deals for the sake of it. But tbh I think my app is pretty solid so maybe it's because i didnt pass VI for direct TC? Anyways rejections are normal just need to keep moving forward.

eleven14og

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Dec 8, 2021
    Not much happened in the past week, I applied to Withers over the weekend and that's pretty much it.

Somehow got allergic to a new shower gel I bought so was really struggling to work and do applications. Also the posts on OC ACs in the VS thread were really disheartening as I LOVE that firm. I went to their open evening and spoke with people and everyone was very nice. Their work-life balance is also surreal for a city law firm. I think I did a pretty good job with my application so wasn't expecting a PFO. I got over the rejection after two-ish days but it hit me harder than I expected.

I started to question whether I am good enough for the firm, the profession, and even for this country. I was really unmotivated and thought there's no point in trying. At one point I was too scared to check my email or this forum. The recruitment process is really brutal so if anyone reading this feels the same, you are definitely not alone. I'm still recovering from this so would really need some good news to cheer me up lol.

Updating from a few hours later: feeling a lot better after writing down my thoughts so would highly recommend!! I guess for me I know how rejections don't mean I am doomed but I still feel like shit sometimes. These feelings will pass eventually and tomorrow is another day ☺️

Last edited:

legalgrinch

Distinguished Member
  • Nov 30, 2023
    Not much happened in the past week, I applied to Withers over the weekend and that's pretty much it.

Somehow got allergic to a new shower gel I bought so was really struggling to work and do applications. Also the posts on OC ACs in the VS thread were really disheartening as I LOVE that firm. I went to their open evening and spoke with people and everyone was very nice. Their work-life balance is also surreal for a city law firm. I think I did a pretty good job with my application so wasn't expecting a PFO. I got over the rejection after two-ish days but it hit me harder than I expected.

I started to question whether I am good enough for the firm, the profession, and even for this country. I was really unmotivated and thought there's no point in trying. At one point I was too scared to check my email or this forum. The recruitment process is really brutal so if anyone reading this feels the same, you are definitely not alone.

I'm still recovering from this so would really need some good news to cheer me up lol.
    Good luck for your Taylor Wessing AC!! 💓

• Love
    Reactions: eleven14og

eleven14og

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Dec 8, 2021
    Here's a belated update for my TC journey.

I am feeling a lot happier cuz I took some time off applications over the weekend to celebrate the Year of Dragon🥳 (so i completely missed the debate in the vs thread lol)

I submitted my Baker McKenzie and NRF application. Submitted online tests for NRF and Withers yesterday. Got rejected by BM, Simmons, and Fieldfisher.

Also received my verbal reasoning test score from OC earlier this afternoon. Thankfully I did not mess up the test so the problem is with my application. I plan to review the failed applications and figure out what the issues are.

eleven14og

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Dec 8, 2021
    I'm back again!

There were literally no update last week except I had a gigantic pimple on my face (it's still here but smaller if anyone's curious lol).

Some good news yday
    NRF VI & an LLM offer from a London Uni (the tuition for international students is now £30k what a bargain)

Anyways the main focus now is my AC prep. When I first got allocated the AC slot I thought it's really late but now I'm like thank goodness! Every day after work I am basically too tired to do anything. I am hoping this all to be over soon but then there are direct TC apps to do.... when will this ever end🫠

eleven14og

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Dec 8, 2021
    I'm back y'all!!

Had my TW AC yesterday and it was really intense. My brain went completely blank for the case study interview so I pretty much lost hope from the start of the AC. This is my first case study interview tho so I will definitely get better with more practice.

On the plus side, because I was so disheartened for the case study interview, I wasn't even nervous for the second part of the AC which is the competency interview lol. I think the questions weren't very conventional but still manageable. It went pretty well imo. Hope the interviewers felt the same.

Then the written task was just the worst!!!! I was hella confused for the first 40 min. I almost wanted to walk out of the room and take the tube home 🤣 At the end of the day I am just happy I managed to survive.

Overall, I think everyone at the firm was super nice! This AC is pretty intense but is good experience esp as my last AC was two years ago. I'm not hoping for any miracles at this point but I am looking forward to getting my feedback.

I think with my NRF VI last week and my AC y-day I am much more confident with competency interview. I knew I am getting better at making BS up when I am put on the spot loool.

Now I am just waiting for NRF and Withers to get back to me and this concludes my VS apps this cycle. I was envisioning 2-3 ACs and 1 VS this cycle but so far it's not looking very promising. I should have 2 ACs already if I haven't fked up RPC WG. But tbh RPC AC has such a short notice and I don't think I would pass even if I got to the next stage.

I will do some more direct TC apps (Ashurst, Shoosmiths, Farrer) and then review my rejected apps for some reflections!! I will continue to post my reflections on this thread to keep myself accountable. 🤩

Reactions: yasmars

eleven14og

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Dec 8, 2021
    Some random thoughts

I watched some Suits clips last night and I first watched this show with my dad. Back then I thought it was so cool to become a lawyer. When I first started uni, I genuinely wanted to become a lawyer. But now I don't think I still "want to" become a lawyer, it just felt like the reasonable thing to do. I did a law degree, I am a paralegal now, and tbh I don't really know what else I can do. I used to really look up to those people that wear suits to work (and I got real excited when I found out I look cute in blazers). I think from my personal experience as a paralegal, I realised that law firm life is not as glamorous as I thought. But I will keep moving forward. My CV is filled with law-related stuff I'm sure no one else would want to hire me🤣🤣

eleven14og

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Dec 8, 2021
    My head hurts like crazy today and I am losing hope writing direct tc apps ughh

I would regret if I don't apply but at the same time my apps stand zero chance cuz they are just plain awful

I am very much looking forward to my easter getaway🥺🥺

To all the law firms:
    chicago med GIF by NBC

Reactions: yasmars and Jaysen

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.