ScoUting

Star Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Jul 20, 2021
    Hi all,

This is my second cycle so I am quite late to this accountability thread, but the best time to start is now.

I am currently a Paralegal in-house, looking to secure a Training Contract in private practice.

So far:
    • I have managed to reach 2 assessment centers, and 1 interview for three different firms - Ashurst, Vinson Elkins, and Watson Farley & Williams.
    • I have attended 1 open day and 1 insight scheme with Burges Salmon and Covington & Burling respectively.
    My feedback for all was generally positive, letting myself down by one mark in a written assessment for Watson Farley and with Ashurst, I was a bit too focused on ESG but otherwise really positive. Trying not to let this dishearten me, but it's getting hard to stay positive. Vinson & Elkins' feedback was super disheartening as the recruiter gave me the feedback of another candidate and then when I asked, I was given a very generic response.

For the 2022-2023 recruitment cycle, I have:
    1. Submitted 3 Summer Vac Scheme Applications - Akin Gump, Covington & Burling, Burges Salmon
    2. Submitted 1 TC application - Kennedys

I have 4 goals over the next 7 days:
    1. Submit White and Case Summer VS application
    2. Submit BLCP Summer VS application
    3. Submit Osborne Clarke VS Application
    4. Research Hogan Lovells

Looking forward to seeing what the year brings!

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    Hi all,

This is my second cycle so I am quite late to this accountability thread, but the best time to start is now.

I am currently a Paralegal in-house, looking to secure a Training Contract in private practice.

So far:
    • I have managed to reach 2 assessment centers, and 1 interview for three different firms - Ashurst, Vinson Elkins, and Watson Farley & Williams.
    • I have attended 1 open day and 1 insight scheme with Burges Salmon and Covington & Burling respectively.
    My feedback for all was generally positive, letting myself down by one mark in a written assessment for Watson Farley and with Ashurst, I was a bit too focused on ESG but otherwise really positive. Trying not to let this dishearten me, but it's getting hard to stay positive. Vinson & Elkins' feedback was super disheartening as the recruiter gave me the feedback of another candidate and then when I asked, I was given a very generic response.

For the 2022-2023 recruitment cycle, I have:
    1. Submitted 3 Summer Vac Scheme Applications - Akin Gump, Covington & Burling, Burges Salmon
    2. Submitted 1 TC application - Kennedys

I have 4 goals over the next 7 days:
    1. Submit White and Case Summer VS application
    2. Submit BLCP Summer VS application
    3. Submit Osborne Clarke VS Application
    4. Research Hogan Lovells

Looking forward to seeing what the year brings!
    Hi @ScoUting, it's never too late to start a thread to keep yourself accountable to your goals and I commend you for your initiative! 👏

Your goals seem super reasonable - have you considered having someone review your written applications before you send them off? It can help with understanding how your answers are being received and if you can improve your tone or the quality of your writing. We have an application review service at TCLA, and you can ask people you trust to look over them as well - friends, family, colleagues etc.

Looking forward to reading your next update!

Reactions: ScoUting

ScoUting

Star Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jul 20, 2021
    More accountability!

Applications now out there in the ether:
    1. Covington
    2. Burges Salmon
    3. Kennedys
    4. TLT
    5. W&C
    6. BCLP
    7. HL
    8. Osborne Clarke
    Also looking into whether I can move to Australia (as a citizen of dual nationality) and qualify there with my GDL degree. Not much info out there so if I find out more info, might be useful to write about it if helpful??

Fingers crossed but managing expectations 🙃

Last edited:

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    More accountability!

Past week:
    • Akin Gump - PFO (watson glaser not high enough)
    • TLT app
    • W&C app
    • BCLP app
    • HL app

To do this week:
    • HL watson glaser
    • BCLP test
    • Osborne Clark app
    • Forsters

Applications now out there in the ether:
    1. Covington
    2. Burges Salmon
    3. Kennedys
    4. TLT
    5. W&C
    6. BCLP
    7. HG
    8. Forsters
    Also looking into whether I can move to Australia (as a citizen of dual nationality) and qualify there with my GDL degree. Not much info out there so if I find out more info, might be useful to write about it if helpful??

Fingers crossed but managing expectations 🙃
    Hi @ScoUting! Great update - nice and succinct!

Do you have some good resources for your WG practice? And what are you working on for Forsters?

Fingers crossed but managing expectations is a super mature way to approach this process! 👏

Reactions: ScoUting

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.