Open Day Application Question?

PlimptonWeld

Star Member
Jul 13, 2022
I am not reading Law for my undergraduate degree but I am hoping to apply to some of the insight schemes and Open Days on offer this academic cycle. I was wondering how I could prepare an answer to a question seen below? What are the firm recruiters specifically looking for in a response? I feel a bit lost because the reason why I'm applying to these events is to get to know more about commercial law but that's about it in terms of what I know...

Please outline the reasons why you would like to attend the Open Day/Insight Scheme at XYZ firm. (250-300 words max.)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I am not reading Law for my undergraduate degree but I am hoping to apply to some of the insight schemes and Open Days on offer this academic cycle. I was wondering how I could prepare an answer to a question seen below? What are the firm recruiters specifically looking for in a response? I feel a bit lost because the reason why I'm applying to these events is to get to know more about commercial law but that's about it in terms of what I know...

Please outline the reasons why you would like to attend the Open Day/Insight Scheme at XYZ firm. (250-300 words max.)
That’s a perfectly reasonable explanation/reason for applying to an open day. Just try to explain what specifically you are looking to learn more about - also try to ensure there is more about that specific firm rather than just the career more generally (eg why are you applying to their open day instead of another firm’s).

Reactions: AvniD and PlimptonWeld

PlimptonWeld

Star Member
Jul 13, 2022
That’s a perfectly reasonable explanation/reason for applying to an open day. Just try to explain what specifically you are looking to learn more about - also try to ensure there is more about that specific firm rather than just the career more generally (eg why are you applying to their open day instead of another firm’s).
Thanks for the advice, Jessica. I was wondering how I can highlight a specific firm without regurgitating law firm stats.? I've read some Law Firm Recruiter articles; they all seem to agree in consensus that they don't want to be told that their firm 'ranked Band No.1 in Corporate/M&A Transactions in UK in 2022 and is well known for their firm culture...'

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thanks for the advice, Jessica. I was wondering how I can highlight a specific firm without regurgitating law firm stats.? I've read some Law Firm Recruiter articles; they all seem to agree in consensus that they don't want to be told that their firm 'ranked Band No.1 in Corporate/M&A Transactions in UK in 2022 and is well known for their firm culture...'
Be mindful that the question is asking you to explain what you want to gain from the open day not what you already know about the firm. So think more about what you are keen to learn more about rather than stating what you already know. For instance, do you want to learn more about the Corporate work? Or with the culture, what is is specifically about the firm's culture you want to learn more about (culture itself is such a broad/vague term - what is it about the culture that has made you inquisitive to learn more or that you want to experience first hand?).

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.