Open days/virtual events as graduate

NCLaw

Star Member
Junior Lawyer
Nov 5, 2018
Hi there! Not entirely sure where I should have posted this question so here goes:

I am trying to really make my applications stand out by using some inside knowledge about the firms I am applying to. I know that the best way to do this is through personally speaking to employees at law fairs or by attending events hosted by the firm.

However, it seems that most events I have seen are only open to students and not people who have already started a career? I was not proactive enough at university (completely kicking myself for that) as I was not sure about a career in law at the time. I have been working as a paralegal for 2 years since completing the GDL, now 100% dedicated and would love to just prove myself. What is the best way to go about this?

I have messaged some trainees on LinkedIn with questions, do you think this is a good route to take?

Thank you!

• 🤝
Reactions: ZH and NickMcK

NickMcK

Star Member
Nov 16, 2019
Hi there! Not entirely sure where I should have posted this question so here goes:

I am trying to really make my applications stand out by using some inside knowledge about the firms I am applying to. I know that the best way to do this is through personally speaking to employees at law fairs or by attending events hosted by the firm.

However, it seems that most events I have seen are only open to students and not people who have already started a career? I was not proactive enough at university (completely kicking myself for that) as I was not sure about a career in law at the time. I have been working as a paralegal for 2 years since completing the GDL, now 100% dedicated and would love to just prove myself. What is the best way to go about this?

I have messaged some trainees on LinkedIn with questions, do you think this is a good route to take?

Thank you!

Have you asked the recruitment teams for the firms where you want to attend the open days if you can attend? Often events are worded and targeted at current students but actually anyone can attend. I found that happened a lot when I was signing up for events as I graduated years ago but it often turned out I was more than welcome.

I'd recommend checking their recruitment process before you ask though. If a firm is explicit in saying that anyone from any background can apply or mention 'graduates' can apply then you are likely to be able to go even if the event says 'current students'. They may also have a specific event for graduates. Unfortunately, some firms do target current students specifically so by checking you'll know not to apply to those.

And, honestly, if you do go to any events don't worry about being a graduate. Just focus on making the most of the event and getting what you need to make the best application you can, as well as building connections. I found that whenever I was anxious about being 'late' to applying because of being a graduate that if I carried that into the event and let it be an issue than actually that was just my issue - firms often don't care and if anything see your experience as an asset. E.g. there's no risk you won't graduate as you've already proven you can do that.

ZH

Esteemed Member
Nov 14, 2019

Thank you!

Hi!

I was in a similar situation last year, graduated from the LPC and definitely relate to this - I felt like there were less opportunities for me because I was a graduate but I tried not to allow this to deter me. Things however were also slightly different because the events were in person and many available. I attended events every week (2-3 events per week) from October to February and made sure I networked with the firms I wanted to apply to! I also just felt more committed to my legal career, as I'm sure you feel the same too!

This included:
  • Legal cheek events
  • Law firm open days
  • Law firm innovation / diversity / specific practice area events (I would search a specific firm, check their website regularly and sign up to the events - many events are on currently!)
  • Interlaw Diversity forum
  • Urban Lawyers
  • UCL/Kings College law society - they're both on instagram and Eventbrite is a good place to check
  • BPP Law school
  • Aspiring Soicitors
  • London Law Conference
  • The Law Society's London Law Fair
  • Junior Lawyer's Division
Try to focus on the opportunities available and not the lack of them - do ask grad recruitment if you can attend specific events, especially if you are very interested in them. Linkedin in a great way to contact trainees. But think of different ways of contacting firms. For example, I started to write for the Student Lawyer's interview section which meant I directly contacted interviewees and then used that opportunity to get to know the firm.

There are currently these two opportunities I saw on Instagram - take advantage of other ways to increase your personal brand and online presence
I hope this helps :)

Z

Last edited:
  • 🏆
Reactions: Tushar and Jaysen

Nat000

Esteemed Member
Future Trainee
  • Feb 14, 2020
    I'd just add additionally - on top of what everyone else has said - that in my opinion, open days aren't all they're cracked up to be. Proper networking is obviously not a serious option, and really a lot of the firm's "character" or "inside knowledge" can just as well be gleaned from their website/news reports/chambers student/Rare/Linkedin/Legalcheek etc.

Anecdotal of course, but when I was applying for 2 firms in particular, a friend who already had a TC with one (and had been offered a TC by the other, which he had declined) lent me his notes/application to compare to my own. Practically every single point that he had gleaned from the open day at each firm I had already covered in my application, despite not having been to an open day at either. I'd got most of these pointers from the above sources, and got interviews at both firms subsequently.

That isn't to say open days aren't useful both for prospective lawyers & for recruitment, but equally I don't feel they deserve quite the level of importance and hype people place on them either, so even if the worst comes to the worst and you can't attend a fair, it isn't an unbeatable hindrance.

Just my two cents

I agree it probably isn't as important in terms of getting raw information as people might think. But at the end of the day people will remain interested, because it's a competitive process (so extra points if you get one) and an easy way of demonstrating your interest in a firm.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Adam Gilchrist

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.