P/A #2 Thursday 30th June 2022 - 5:30pm: My Training Contract Offers: Reflections on the Vacation Schemes that got me there

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    You have two weeks. This was no mistake. The law firm likes you. They are now looking for potential, not perfection.

I know how hard you’ve worked for this experience. You’ve completed the hard part. Now, how do you complete great work on your vacation scheme? How do you network? How do you take the steps to ensure this is the one?

Join Us For Our Most Practical Session To Date: Thursday 30th June, 5:30pm-6:30pm​

In our next virtual session for the Premium Academy, George Maxwell will walk you through his best advice on how to convert your next vacation scheme into a training contract. After reflection on three vacation schemes, he’ll discuss:
    • What went wrong on each vacation scheme?
    • What lessons did he learn from the tasks he completed?
    • What are the biggest challenges you will face?
    • What specific steps can you take to get noticed on your scheme?
    In one hour, you will come away with concrete steps to apply to your next vacation scheme.

How Do I Sign Up?​

This event is available to premium members. Sign up here and head over to the Premium Forum to register for this event.

Get A Free Subscription To Premium​

If you want to keep using our free resources, you can sign up to our free Premium Academy Newsletter. We’ll share with you our biggest tip from each event.

Once again, we're also giving one free premium subscription away today. All you have to do is share your top vacation scheme tip in this thread and we'll select one winner at 4pm.

We'll be running this giveaway each week, so don't worry if you don't win this time!

Last edited:

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Good morning everyone,

I hope everyone is doing well.

I have not done a vacation scheme before but have to spoken to friends who have done multiple vacation schemes.

The 1 advice that I would give to anyone doing a vacation scheme is be yourself and don't compare yourself against other people on the vacation scheme. It can be scary going into a vacation scheme and looking at other people and thinking I am in competition with X person and with Y person because they have gone to Oxbridge or they have multipler vacation schemes. The best peice of advice is to be yourself as you are in competition with yourself and not with other candidates on the scheme.

Finally if you do everything you can to impress your supervisor and your trainee buddy then there is nothing stopping you from not getting that training contract as you have done ypour best. Also good luck to everyone doing vacation schemes.

F1_Legal

Distinguished Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Oct 16, 2020
    There are a few things that I would share (please take this advice with a pinch of salt as I have not attended a vac scheme, but have secured a direct TC).

1. A vac scheme is a 2-way process:
    • While the 'purpose' of a vac scheme is to select a small group of schemers onto the TC, it is also for YOU to ensure that YOU have selected the right firm for YOU
    • Prior to the vac schemes, write down what you are looking for in a law firm
      • What kind of culture, practice areas, work/life balance are YOU looking for
    • During the vac, make sure you journal your days and compare your notes to your checklist. How many boxes is the law firm ticking for you?
      • Quick note, that means you MUST carry a notepad around at all times and take notes during the day
      • The biggest lie we tell ourselves is "I don't need to write this down because I will remember it"
    • Listen to your gut, it is scientifically proven that our gut feeling is a very accurate way to make many decisions.
      • Do you have a gut feeling that this is the firm that you want to work at?
    • Remember, the investment from the firm into your training contract is just as big as the investment you are putting (2 years of your life minimum)

2. It is NOT a competition:
    • Do NOT compete in the amount of work/tasks or group exercise with your peers
    • The firm wants to see first and foremost, how you would work with your peers if they were to hire you
    • Being the loudest or being too eager, are probably not what a law firm is looking for in their trainees
    • Some of the schemers could end up becoming your peers (here or at another firm), so keep that in mind when 'working with them' (or if they ask you for help)

3. Mindset:
    • This will NOT be your only vac scheme. Chances are if you made it this far you have not fluked your way past the assessment centres and interviews
    • Having the experience of a vac scheme will only make any future schemes that much easier (and having done a vac scheme will only increase your chance of getting a second and third one)
    • There are only positives to come out of a vac scheme whether or not you get a TC...
    • Enjoy the journey without focusing solely on the destination
      • Things sometimes just happen for a reason, and what you may see as a setback in the short-term can actually pay dividends in the long run
    Thanks if you read this far :p

Reactions: Alison C and Jaysen

GL

Junior Lawyer
    Jul 6, 2021
    Hi all.
    I have been on a vacation scheme and my top tip would be to not be afraid to approach and ask questions to those around you (partners, associates etc). Going that extra mile can really help you stand out especially in terms of the quality of the work you produce for any tasks you are given.

Reactions: Jaysen

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Thank you @Asil Ahmad, @F1_Legal and @GL for sharing your experiences this week. It's very helpful to read your responses - if you didn't win this week, please do come back next week in the next thread, as we'll be giving a subscription away each week.

Congratulations to @F1_Legal as this week's winner. There is plenty of practical advice here and I think this quote, "The biggest lie we tell ourselves is "I don't need to write this down because I will remember it" is spot on.

I will drop you a PM!

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    @F1_Legal this is a great post- one of your best yet! Your ability to clearly express what you introspect upon is truly fantastic. Wishing you the best for your TC!
    There are a few things that I would share (please take this advice with a pinch of salt as I have not attended a vac scheme, but have secured a direct TC).

1. A vac scheme is a 2-way process:
    • While the 'purpose' of a vac scheme is to select a small group of schemers onto the TC, it is also for YOU to ensure that YOU have selected the right firm for YOU
    • Prior to the vac schemes, write down what you are looking for in a law firm
      • What kind of culture, practice areas, work/life balance are YOU looking for
    • During the vac, make sure you journal your days and compare your notes to your checklist. How many boxes is the law firm ticking for you?
      • Quick note, that means you MUST carry a notepad around at all times and take notes during the day
      • The biggest lie we tell ourselves is "I don't need to write this down because I will remember it"
    • Listen to your gut, it is scientifically proven that our gut feeling is a very accurate way to make many decisions.
      • Do you have a gut feeling that this is the firm that you want to work at?
    • Remember, the investment from the firm into your training contract is just as big as the investment you are putting (2 years of your life minimum)

2. It is NOT a competition:
    • Do NOT compete in the amount of work/tasks or group exercise with your peers
    • The firm wants to see first and foremost, how you would work with your peers if they were to hire you
    • Being the loudest or being too eager, are probably not what a law firm is looking for in their trainees
    • Some of the schemers could end up becoming your peers (here or at another firm), so keep that in mind when 'working with them' (or if they ask you for help)

3. Mindset:
    • This will NOT be your only vac scheme. Chances are if you made it this far you have not fluked your way past the assessment centres and interviews
    • Having the experience of a vac scheme will only make any future schemes that much easier (and having done a vac scheme will only increase your chance of getting a second and third one)
    • There are only positives to come out of a vac scheme whether or not you get a TC...
    • Enjoy the journey without focusing solely on the destination
      • Things sometimes just happen for a reason, and what you may see as a setback in the short-term can actually pay dividends in the long run
    Thanks if you read this far :p

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    • 🤝
    Reactions: F1_Legal

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Reactions: F1_Legal

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.