P/A #4 Thursday 14 July 2022 - 5:30pm: Nailing Motivations: The Lessons I Learned From Reviewing Over 100 Applications

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hey everyone!

I know this month the focus turns to those direct training contract applications.

Many people I speak to find it challenging to communicate their motivations in a law firm application, something that isn’t just an ‘interest in law and business’. It took me a long time to work out how to present my 'story’ and align my interest in commercial law to my experiences.

Converting your applications into interviews​

In our next session for the Premium Academy, join Genevieve, an LSE Law graduate who will commence her training contract with Linklaters in March 2024.

During her application journey, Genevieve’s written applications were accepted by a plethora of competitive city firms including Linklaters, Slaughter and May, Herbert Smith Freehills, White & Case and Baker McKenzie.

Overall, 75% of her written applications for vacation schemes and training contracts were successful. As an application reviewer, she has reviewed over 100 applications for a variety of City firms. I've seen many of these reviews myself and they are exceptional.

You will learn...​

• How to write convincing responses for motivational questions
    • The importance of quality over quantity
    • Finding the right balance between descriptions and motivations
    • How to be specific when linking back to a law firm

How to sign up?​

Simply join us on TCLA Premium and find the link in the TCLA Premium Forum.

Last edited:

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.