Paralegal Salary Expectations

123Law1234

Star Member
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 36
Sep 4, 2019
I've been looking at some of the applications for paralegal roles with a view to apply after Christmas.

Some of the applications seem to ask about salary expectations so I was wondering if anyone had any advice about what I should say. I don't have any experience as a paralegal.

I was also wondering if it is better to apply through an agency or apply directly for roles.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I've been looking at some of the applications for paralegal roles with a view to apply after Christmas.

Some of the applications seem to ask about salary expectations so I was wondering if anyone had any advice about what I should say. I don't have any experience as a paralegal.

I was also wondering if it is better to apply through an agency or apply directly for roles.
Apply directly where you can - you’ll be more likely to secure a better salary as the firm won’t be paying 15-20% on top of your salary to the agency.

If really depends on location and type of firm you are applying to. Central London paralegal salaries with US firms will be very different to a personal injury firm in Newcastle.

123Law1234

Star Member
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 36
Sep 4, 2019
Apply directly where you can - you’ll be more likely to secure a better salary as the firm won’t be paying 15-20% on top of your salary to the agency.

If really depends on location and type of firm you are applying to. Central London paralegal salaries with US firms will be very different to a personal injury firm in Newcastle.

Thank you! I will be applying to firms in Central London. I will probably apply to a mix of firms some US and then some UK firms.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you! I will be applying to firms in Central London. I will probably apply to a mix of firms some US and then some UK firms.
My advice is to try and work out whether the role will be paid hourly or if you will get overtime. This can make a significant difference to a base salary.

Realistically, will no experience if could be anywhere from £25k upwards, but even with no experience it could be anything up to £32-4k. Have known paralegals for be earning over £40k once they factor in overtime though, so that is why I stress that can be a major advantage. Some firms won’t pay overtime though, just a standardised salary with the expectation you’ll work over your hours.

123Law1234

Star Member
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 36
Sep 4, 2019
My advice is to try and work out whether the role will be paid hourly or if you will get overtime. This can make a significant difference to a base salary.

Realistically, will no experience if could be anywhere from £25k upwards, but even with no experience it could be anything up to £32-4k. Have known paralegals for be earning over £40k once they factor in overtime though, so that is why I stress that can be a major advantage. Some firms won’t pay overtime though, just a standardised salary with the expectation you’ll work over your hours.

Thank you - this is very helpful!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.