Personal statement character count help

ninadeoliveira

Dec 8, 2022
Hi all! :)
So, thanks to everyone who helped me and shared their LLM personal statement with me, mine is now done. However, the uni I'm applying to says your personal statement should have a maximum of 4000 characters with spaces included. I'm at 4090 and I don't think I can cut anything else from it. Is it ok to go a bit over the 4k limit? Has someone else been in this situation?

Thank you so much,
Nina.

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
So, thanks to everyone who helped me and shared their LLM personal statement with me, mine is now done. However, the uni I'm applying to says your personal statement should have a maximum of 4000 characters with spaces included. I'm at 4090 and I don't think I can cut anything else from it. Is it ok to go a bit over the 4k limit? Has someone else been in this situation?

Thank you so much,
Nina.
I'd definitely just stick to 4000 characters- there must be something you can cut and getting someone to look over your application can help you edit it appropriately. Not sticking to word limits is a sure-shot way to get your application disregarded or marked down simply on the basis of being 90 characters over. This is easily avoidable and not worth risking, in my opinion!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

Thank you so much,
Nina.

Hi - this thread might be useful in finding how to say exactly the same point with fewer words. I suspect it may help you easily find 90 characters:

• 🤝
Reactions: AvniD

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.