Poor contract module grade, but 2:1 average.

henryc1271

Jul 19, 2021
Hi,

I'm currently going into my second year at Exeter university and received a 2:1 average for my first year. However, I struggled with contract law. I had poor mental health in term 2, and I found it very difficult to work as a result. Needless to say, I sorted myself out a month and a bit before my end of year exams, and worked non stop. Despite this, I didn't manage to salvage contract law, and I ended up with a 54% (2:2) as my final module grade for it.

Will this 2:2 effect my chance of getting a training contract at a magic circle firm, or any London firm in the future?

First year results
Criminal law (64%)
Legal foundations (64%)
Constitutional and Administrative law (62%)
Contract Law (54%)

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Premium Member
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Hi,

I'm currently going into my second year at Exeter university and received a 2:1 average for my first year. However, I struggled with contract law. I had poor mental health in term 2, and I found it very difficult to work as a result. Needless to say, I sorted myself out a month and a bit before my end of year exams, and worked non stop. Despite this, I didn't manage to salvage contract law, and I ended up with a 54% (2:2) as my final module grade for it.

Will this 2:2 effect my chance of getting a training contract at a magic circle firm, or any London firm in the future?

First year results
    Criminal law (64%)
    Legal foundations (64%)
    Constitutional and Administrative law (62%)
    Contract Law (54%)
    The short answer is no, not at all since you got a 2.1 overall and normally first year results don't count towards your final degree anyway :)

Reactions: Jaysen

Kola

Valued Member
    Sep 27, 2020
    Will this 2:2 in contract BAR you from being considered? No. Will the 2:2 affect your chances? Possibly. There are firms like Slaughter & May, Cleary Gottlieb and Sullivan & Cromwell, amongst others, who are rather stingy when it comes to this stuff. They could pass you up for a candidate with a better mark, hereby reducing your chances, so it is something to think about when considering which firms to apply to.

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    I would echo most of the advice here in saying that it's highly unlikely to negatively impact your chances broadly speaking. There are some first who are an exception to this - Slaughters definitely being one in my experience - but broadly speaking I really don't foresee this being a particular issue for you in the long run.

Good luck!