Poor contract module grade, but 2:1 average.

henryc1271

Jul 19, 2021
Hi,

I'm currently going into my second year at Exeter university and received a 2:1 average for my first year. However, I struggled with contract law. I had poor mental health in term 2, and I found it very difficult to work as a result. Needless to say, I sorted myself out a month and a bit before my end of year exams, and worked non stop. Despite this, I didn't manage to salvage contract law, and I ended up with a 54% (2:2) as my final module grade for it.

Will this 2:2 effect my chance of getting a training contract at a magic circle firm, or any London firm in the future?

First year results
Criminal law (64%)
Legal foundations (64%)
Constitutional and Administrative law (62%)
Contract Law (54%)

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Hi,

I'm currently going into my second year at Exeter university and received a 2:1 average for my first year. However, I struggled with contract law. I had poor mental health in term 2, and I found it very difficult to work as a result. Needless to say, I sorted myself out a month and a bit before my end of year exams, and worked non stop. Despite this, I didn't manage to salvage contract law, and I ended up with a 54% (2:2) as my final module grade for it.

Will this 2:2 effect my chance of getting a training contract at a magic circle firm, or any London firm in the future?

First year results
    Criminal law (64%)
    Legal foundations (64%)
    Constitutional and Administrative law (62%)
    Contract Law (54%)
    The short answer is no, not at all since you got a 2.1 overall and normally first year results don't count towards your final degree anyway :)

Reactions: Jaysen

Kola

Legendary Member
    Sep 27, 2020
    Will this 2:2 in contract BAR you from being considered? No. Will the 2:2 affect your chances? Possibly. There are firms like Slaughter & May, Cleary Gottlieb and Sullivan & Cromwell, amongst others, who are rather stingy when it comes to this stuff. They could pass you up for a candidate with a better mark, hereby reducing your chances, so it is something to think about when considering which firms to apply to.

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    I would echo most of the advice here in saying that it's highly unlikely to negatively impact your chances broadly speaking. There are some first who are an exception to this - Slaughters definitely being one in my experience - but broadly speaking I really don't foresee this being a particular issue for you in the long run.

Good luck!

Katie_H_22

Standard Member
    Jan 20, 2023
    I got a 47% in contract and still got interviews at US firms. You'll be fine.
    Really? Which firms, if you don't mind my asking? I just posted a thread about module mark worries; in short, although I secured solid 2:1 averages from Oxford in my second and final years, I did get a few 2:2 marks in my breakdown as well. (It was a non-law degree)

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.