pre employment checks for VS/TC

LegalLily

Star Member
Feb 19, 2021
Hi, does anyone know if Vero asks for a full transcript?

I have a summer vac upcoming this summer and I won’t receive my transcript until I graduate (unless I wish I pay for it early which I’d rather not).

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi, does anyone know if Vero asks for a full transcript?

I have a summer vac upcoming this summer and I won’t receive my transcript until I graduate (unless I wish I pay for it early which I’d rather not).
They will probably want to see some form of formal document - that doesn't have to be a transcript. It could just be a document on headed paper from the university, or something that can easily be verifed as being a university document. They may just ask your university directly for this though.

Reactions: LegalLily

HearsonSays

• Mar 30, 2021
    Vero are really struggling with a backlog of work at the moment (know this from personal experience as a candidate) - severely understaffed at the moment, so unless you are starting in the next two to three months, you are unlikely to hear back sometime soon.
    You mentioned previously you have some familiarity with Vero, I've had a background screening ongoing for more than 4 weeks now, I'm guessing its just the backlog then?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    You mentioned previously you have some familiarity with Vero, I've had a background screening ongoing for more than 4 weeks now, I'm guessing its just the backlog then?
    Unless you are due to start the job in the next week or two, I wouldn’t expect there to be a rush.

happygoluckyyy

• Nov 6, 2020
    Unless you are due to start the job in the next week or two, I wouldn’t expect there to be a rush.
    @Jessica Booker Hi Jessica, I did an internship this summer but dont have a formal letter. I do have some paper trail and proof of meetings/ contact w HR to set up a company email. if i get a letter from HR on a paper w a company header will they still call up the company? I am not on great terms and was wondering if the paper w the header would suffice?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker Hi Jessica, I did an internship this summer but dont have a formal letter. I do have some paper trail and proof of meetings/ contact w HR to set up a company email. if i get a letter from HR on a paper w a company header will they still call up the company? I am not on great terms and was wondering if the paper w the header would suffice?
    They will want to contact the organisation directly.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thank you for your quick reply!

1. Could I also ask, will I need to provide bank statements showing of all my recent employment/income in the last 3 years for Vero ?
    Only if you didn't get a reference from the employer in question.

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    In terms of the two references my firm require for my Vero onboarding screening, will having simply employment date confirmation be adequate? Or will Vero also need other employers who can speak in more detail about me ?
    All that is required is a standard reference that will confirm your job title and dates of employment and if there were any serious breaches of the employment contract. They are only likely to speak to your previous employer if 1) they don't get the reference in sufficient time and so they call them to chase up the information or 2) if there are any inconsistencies with the information you presented and what they provided.

If you are being recruited for a TC, it is likely Vero will need to confirm all previous employment listed on your CV/application form in time, usually for a period of 3, 5, 7 or 10 years depending on the firm's policy on referencing.

Lawlearner

Standard Member
    Apr 27, 2021
    All that is required is a standard reference that will confirm your job title and dates of employment and if there were any serious breaches of the employment contract. They are only likely to speak to your previous employer if 1) they don't get the reference in sufficient time and so they call them to chase up the information or 2) if there are any inconsistencies with the information you presented and what they provided.

If you are being recruited for a TC, it is likely Vero will need to confirm all previous employment listed on your CV/application form in time, usually for a period of 3, 5, 7 or 10 years depending on the firm's policy on referencing.
    Thank you!
    For one of my job references, they only provide the dates/confirm employment. They don’t state whether there was breach of conduct etc or not. Is that okay?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thank you!
    For one of my job references, they only provide the dates/confirm employment. They don’t state whether there was breach of conduct etc or not. Is that okay?
    Trust me, they would provide details of breaches of conduct (unless you signed some form of settlement agreement that said they would only provide a standard reference - but that would be highly unlikely if you left the job for misconduct reasons).

They are just providing a standard reference - there is nothing to worry about here unless you have lied on your application or were sacked for gross misconduct.

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    In a separate previous job a few years ago, I was fired for gross misconduct. However, the situation was due to a colleague of mine, misusing my work discount without my knowledge. I had handed it to him in complete good faith as he had said he needed it as a one off (which I believe was allowed as he was my colleague, using it in store) However, HR and an investigation later informed that he had continued using it for months. Despite the company being aware that I didn’t have knowledge of the misappropriation of my card, I was still fired for gross misconduct. What should I do in terms of a TC offer? Should I speak to my firm ? Do I retract my acceptance?
    It is an extreme reaction to retract your acceptance before you know what could happen. It sounds like you don't even know if they are going to contact this employer at this stage. At the point you have to provide reference contact details for this employer, then you may want to raise this with the firm.

For anyone else reading this, if you are fired/sacked from a job, one of your first questions you have for your employers is what will be written on your future references. In fact, you should probably even ask for a written copy of what would be provided.

Trobi

Jun 4, 2021
    Will they contact every company on your CV, or just a few of them? I worked at a organization where they probably don't remember me. Is this a problem even when all the other companies on my CV will confirm that I worked for them?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.