Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Will they contact every company on your CV, or just a few of them? I worked at a organization where they probably don't remember me. Is this a problem even when all the other companies on my CV will confirm that I worked for them?
Everyone within a fixed period of time - could be as little as the last three years, could be as most as the last ten years.

If you were employed by them, they will have a record of you being there.

SF1234

Distinguished Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 3, 2020
Hi, was just wondering to what extent the checks for a TC go? Would they just seek to confirm with a company that you did work experience there and what the dates were, or would they verify the actual work that you did?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi, was just wondering to what extent the checks for a TC go? Would they just seek to confirm with a company that you did work experience there and what the dates were, or would they verify the actual work that you did?
Firms can ask for qualitative detail, but it’s rarely about the work you did, more about your character.

Just because a firm requests it, doesn’t mean an employer will provide the detail though. Many organisations will only provide a standard reference (dates, job title).

Reactions: SF1234

matpart

Star Member
Jan 2, 2020
Found this thread which seemed the most relevant to my enquiry so I'll post here. I erroneously put the dates of a summer job as a receptionist to be in 2021 instead of 2020 for a TC app. Should I rectify this immediately, or wait until I hear back, and then clarify later? The date in terms of months is otherwise correct.

(Sorry for constantly editing this post, just needed to add the following): How detrimental will this be viewed as? Will they usually see this as a minor mistake or could a potential offer be rescinded?

Last edited:
Reactions: George Maxwell

George Maxwell

Administrator
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer 50
Oct 25, 2021
Found this thread which seemed the most relevant to my enquiry so I'll post here. I erroneously put the dates of a summer job as a receptionist to be in 2021 instead of 2020 for a TC app. Should I rectify this immediately, or wait until I hear back, and then clarify later? The date in terms of months is otherwise correct.
Tagging @Jessica Booker again as I believe that she is best-placed to answer this!

Reactions: matpart

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

(Sorry for constantly editing this post, just needed to add the following): How detrimental will this be viewed as? Will they usually see this as a minor mistake or could a potential offer be rescinded?
So for instance it says 05/21 to 08/21 when it should have been 05/20 to 08/20?

Reactions: matpart

matpart

Star Member
Jan 2, 2020
So for instance it says 05/21 to 08/21 when it should have been 05/20 to 08/20?
Yes.

Perhaps also worth mentioning that in my description of said work experience I wrote something along the lines of "worked in the same department in 2019 and was offered to return to work at the same company the next summer, following excellent reviews by supervisor". So it sort of implies I worked there in 2020, I guess?

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Yes.

Perhaps also worth mentioning that in my description of said work experience I wrote something along the lines of "worked in the same department in 2019 and was offered to return to work at the same company the next summer, following excellent reviews by supervisor". So it sort of implies I worked there in 2020, I guess?
Then it’s not really an issue as such. Just update them in you are invited to interview.

Reactions: AvniD and matpart

kat_

Valued Member
Premium Member
Nov 14, 2020
Hi! I've had this question for a while and now I saw this thread.

I 'worked' in insurance in the summer, but it was very informal (family friend). I was basically helping in the office as it was quite busy.
I recently sent an application where I included this WE (as I spent there 2 months), but I'm now a bit worried because firstly, this was abroad (eastern Europe), this place doesn't even come up on Google. And secondly, even if I were to provide details of my 'employer', she doesn't speak English nor does she use e-mails (it's an old lady).
Do you think it could be seen as lying and so detrimental to the (already) sent app? And do you think that it would be perhaps better not to include it in future applications?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi! I've had this question for a while and now I saw this thread.

I 'worked' in insurance in the summer, but it was very informal (family friend). I was basically helping in the office as it was quite busy.
I recently sent an application where I included this WE (as I spent there 2 months), but I'm now a bit worried because firstly, this was abroad (eastern Europe), this place doesn't even come up on Google. And secondly, even if I were to provide details of my 'employer', she doesn't speak English nor does she use e-mails (it's an old lady).
Do you think it could be seen as lying and so detrimental to the (already) sent app? And do you think that it would be perhaps better not to include it in future applications?
References are sometimes received in other languages, so that is not necessarily an issue. Sometimes references are done over the phone too, but I suspect the combination of no email and no English might make this tricky.

Did you receive any payment for the work or would you have any confirmation/documents that you worked there?

kat_

Valued Member
Premium Member
Nov 14, 2020
References are sometimes received in other languages, so that is not necessarily an issue. Sometimes references are done over the phone too, but I suspect the combination of no email and no English might make this tricky.

Did you receive any payment for the work or would you have any confirmation/documents that you worked there?
I don't have any documents, it was extremely informal. I received 2 payments but it was cash, so I have no proof to support it. 😕

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I don't have any documents, it was extremely informal. I received 2 payments but it was cash, so I have no proof to support it. 😕
Could a personal reference verify it (eg a family friend/academic) who works in a professional job?

oklam

Standard Member
Feb 17, 2022
Hi. I got a place on a Vac Scheme. Regarding the pre-employment check, I worked at a small company for three months in 2019. During the interview we agreed on the terms of the job, but when I started working they changed their words. They paid me much less than what we agreed and they did not give me payslip. I left the job after three months. I noticed that I put it as a paid job in my application, but I do not have a payslip. Also, I did not report it to HMRC as the money I earned was less than my personal allowance. I have a good relationship with the employer. Will I be in trouble for not reporting it/not having a payslip? Or if my employer confirms I worked there would be sufficient? Thank you

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi. I got a place on a Vac Scheme. Regarding the pre-employment check, I worked at a small company for three months in 2019. During the interview we agreed on the terms of the job, but when I started working they changed their words. They paid me much less than what we agreed and they did not give me payslip. I left the job after three months. I noticed that I put it as a paid job in my application, but I do not have a payslip. Also, I did not report it to HMRC as the money I earned was less than my personal allowance. I have a good relationship with the employer. Will I be in trouble for not reporting it/not having a payslip? Or if my employer confirms I worked there would be sufficient? Thank you
No - this won't be an issue at all. You would only have to provide a payslip or something like that if there was no other proof of you working there. I had to do this 18 months ago for an investment company when the agency had no record of me (but I had records of them paying me).

A reference from the employer will be the first bit of evidence they will ask for, and if this is provided, you should be fine and not need to provide any other details.

law1254

Apr 9, 2022
Hi, I was just wondering whether Vero will ask for references concerning experiences such as a one week work experience as I cannot remember the name of the supervisor (from a big organisation) that I completed the week with back in 2017.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi, I was just wondering whether Vero will ask for references concerning experiences such as a one week work experience as I cannot remember the name of the supervisor (from a big organisation) that I completed the week with back in 2017.
Yes, potentially they will. They won’t need to speak to your supervisor though - they will just need confirmation that it took place.

Sometimes organisations cannot confirm work experience (if you weren’t paid for instance) and so it may be the case a reference can’t be provided by anyone. Then Vero may ask for some other form of confirmation from you (for instance, email confirmations that it took place etc).

Reactions: bangarangbass39

finalyear

Standard Member
May 28, 2021
Yes, potentially they will. They won’t need to speak to your supervisor though - they will just need confirmation that it took place.

Sometimes organisations cannot confirm work experience (if you weren’t paid for instance) and so it may be the case a reference can’t be provided by anyone. Then Vero may ask for some other form of confirmation from you (for instance, email confirmations that it took place etc).
Hi Jessica - could I ask if it would be an issue if I put an extra-curricular activity in the work experience section? The activity was translating movie subtitles for a website and I did it on and off for about two years from 2016. I put it in the work experience section, but now when it comes to the background check, I am not able to find someone to prove I did this activity because I never got paid & we communicated via the website. And the website has already shut down for IP violations...

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica - could I ask if it would be an issue if I put an extra-curricular activity in the work experience section? The activity was translating movie subtitles for a website and I did it on and off for about two years from 2016. I put it in the work experience section, but now when it comes to the background check, I am not able to find someone to prove I did this activity because I never got paid & we communicated via the website. And the website has already shut down for IP violations...
If you can provide any other form of proof that could be helpful. A decision will be made as to whether a reference for this won’t be needed by Vero and the firm in question. Typically it depends on how it fits into your profile - if they can get every other reference for other employment then it’s less likely to be an issue, if it’s your only employment or there are multiple issues with getting confirmation of your work experiences, then it could be more of a problem.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.