pre employment checks for VS/TC

A friendly human

Star Member
Feb 13, 2020
hello,

i have to pass the pre employment check stage for a vacation scheme i recently got offered. it is apparently the same process i would have to go through at other firms if i accepted a TC. it's conducted by Vero Screening. part of it involves filling out an online form and questionnaire.

i have a number of informal work experiences (i.e. unpaid; no contract; no tax) ranging from a few days to a month each. most of these were secured via my contacts or family members. these have taken place in different countries in europe over the past 4 years.

my questions:
  • do you know if i have to put them down as part of my "employment history" on the questionnaire?
  • if not, will emails will be sent asking for a reference and for a confirmation of how long I was there?

thank you

Last edited:
Reactions: George Maxwell

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
If they are on your application, the reference check company will try to verify them even if they are unpaid and abroad.

The reference company will ask you to provide contact details to help verify placements of this nature and if they can’t be verified, it’s flagged to the law firm as an informal placement and they make a judgement based on how important it is and also what other references have been submitted for you.

• ℹ️
Reactions: A friendly human

A friendly human

Star Member
Feb 13, 2020
If they are on your application, the reference check company will try to verify them even if they are unpaid and abroad.

The reference company will ask you to provide contact details to help verify placements of this nature and if they can’t be verified, it’s flagged to the law firm as an informal placement and they make a judgement based on how important it is and also what other references have been submitted for you.
thank you!

A friendly human

Star Member
Feb 13, 2020

just a question: what are the consequences of the experience being found to be an 'informal' placement? i communicated in my app that all of my work experiences were informal in the sense that they arranged with friends/family/contacts etc... there's no documentation for them really... certainly no contract etc

if the firm is told that it's informal is that okay? i do still have 2 good refs (one from uni one from one of the placements)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
just a question: what are the consequences of the experience being found to be an 'informal' placement? i communicated in my app that all of my work experiences were informal in the sense that they arranged with friends/family/contacts etc... there's no documentation for them really... certainly no contract etc

if the firm is told that it's informal is that okay? i do still have 2 good refs (one from uni one from one of the placements)

There isn’t necessarily a consequence of it being informal. The firm/reference company will either contact you and badger you for some kind of detail until they are satisfied or make a decision that the reference is not needed given the strength of your other references.

I have recently had to go through this process for a new client I am working with and one of my references refused to acknowledge I existed, despite me working for them for 9 months and them paying me! In the end I had to show evidence in the form of emails between me and the company that confirmed the job and money that had gone into my bank account. There are typically some paper trails that you can use as evidence. But I very much doubt they will be that concerned a weeks work experience here and there if you have more substantial references.

Even for informal placements, I suspect your family members who arranged it have a paper trail at their end (as they probably had to get approval to bring you in).

• ℹ️
Reactions: A friendly human

A friendly human

Star Member
Feb 13, 2020
There isn’t necessarily a consequence of it being informal. The firm/reference company will either contact you and badger you for some kind of detail until they are satisfied or make a decision that the reference is not needed given the strength of your other references.

I have recently had to go through this process for a new client I am working with and one of my references refused to acknowledge I existed, despite me working for them for 9 months and them paying me! In the end I had to show evidence in the form of emails between me and the company that confirmed the job and money that had gone into my bank account. There are typically some paper trails that you can use as evidence. But I very much doubt they will be that concerned a weeks work experience here and there if you have more substantial references.

Even for informal placements, I suspect your family members who arranged it have a paper trail at their end (as they probably had to get approval to bring you in).
thank you for another amazing explanation... i really value the time you spend helping us :)

so in grad recruiter lingo "formal placement" = reference provided while "informal placement" = no reference provided?

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
thank you for another amazing explanation... i really value the time you spend helping us :)

so in grad recruiter lingo "formal placement" = reference provided while "informal placement" = no reference provided?

no

Informal just means it would be trickier to get a reference, where the placement was not formal, not that a reference isn’t provided.

Reactions: George Maxwell

A friendly human

Star Member
Feb 13, 2020
@Jessica Booker

hello again

to follow up on the thread: i have submitted and sent off the form.

however in filling it out i noticed that i had claimed to be working abroad for my entire university holiday whereas i actually came back to the UK several days earlier than that.

is it possible that they will contact UK Border Force or email me for plane tickets to confirm i was abroad and therefore working for this entire period.

for context: they did expressly reserve right to make all enquiries to verify my app

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker

hello again

to follow up on the thread: i have submitted and sent off the form.

however in filling it out i noticed that i had claimed to be working abroad for my entire university holiday whereas i actually came back to the UK several days earlier than that.

is it possible that they will contact UK Border Force or email me for plane tickets to confirm i was abroad and therefore working for this entire period.

for context: they did expressly reserve right to make all enquiries to verify my app

They will only care about an employment reference. It’s more if those dates don’t match up that questions will be asked as to why you put the dates in wrong.

j2134

Star Member
May 6, 2020
Hi Jessica,

I did a lot of work for Uber and Deliveroo as a bicycle courier during my degree, how would law firms check this employment history? I didn't actually have any contact with anyone from either company throughout my entire time there.

Thanks

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

I did a lot of work for Uber and Deliveroo as a bicycle courier during my degree, how would law firms check this employment history? I didn't actually have any contact with anyone from either company throughout my entire time there.

Thanks

You'd have to provide financial statements of your self employed income. It's what I have to do when I have to prove my self employment.

• ℹ️
Reactions: George Maxwell and Dom R

Dom R

Dec 8, 2020
Hello! I saw this thread and I was worried about something I wrote in an app.

I have been writing down that I was an 'intern' for one of my 'informal' work experiences. However I was not in the office 5 days a week (usually 2-3). My job was also closer to shadowing (i.e. I was given very few substantial tasks). I just wrote the few substantial tasks in the 'description' box in the app without specifying that these were in the minority or that I wasn't there full-time. The duration of 5 weeks is accurate. Will I get into trouble if I get a TC and this needs to be verified?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thanks! For the entire time if worked there? (3 years)

yes - unfortunately so. Things like bank statements or self assessment payments are usually sufficient. I am lucky I just get my accountant to submit a reference, but understand that wont be feasible for many who are working more flexibly/part time

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello! I saw this thread and I was worried about something I wrote in an app.

I have been writing down that I was an 'intern' for one of my 'informal' work experiences. However I was not in the office 5 days a week (usually 2-3). My job was also closer to shadowing (i.e. I was given very few substantial tasks). I just wrote the few substantial tasks in the 'description' box in the app without specifying that these were in the minority or that I wasn't there full-time. The duration of 5 weeks is accurate. Will I get into trouble if I get a TC and this needs to be verified?

Only if you claimed it was a full time position

Dom R

Dec 8, 2020
Only if you claimed it was a full time position
thank you!

I had another question about logistics. I have done a couple of informal placements in companies that are local to my area where there was only one person supervising me - the above is actually one of them. The problem is that this person/these people has/have since moved on/changed company, meaning that even if i put their email and phone down, it will be for Company B - their current employer - not Company A.

Wouldn't it give a bad impression if my only referee for a certain internship/shadowing placement had since moved company? After all how could the verification people even know that I was giving them a legit address of someone who had actually worked at the company?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.