Preparing for the SQE

average_jo123

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 11, 2021
Hi all,

Recent news about firms revoking TCs for failing the SQE1 has given me quite a lot of jitters. My offer letter also stipulates that my TC offer is conditional upon passing the SQE on first attempt, so failing really isn't an option for me and I want to give myself my best shot at getting this right.

I am due to start the LLM Legal Practice (SQE1&2) prep course at ULaw London Moorgate in September 2024. Was wondering if anyone here could shed some light on how best to prepare ahead of the course start date? If there is realistically nothing I can do ahead of the course starting, for those who have finished the SQE1, is there anything you wish you had known earlier when you first started the course that would have made the exams less painful?

Just for some context, I did a 3-year undergrad law degree, graduated in summer 2023.

average_jo123

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 11, 2021
Just wanted to add... I have also read bits and bops about how there's a lot of new content to be learnt whilst on the course but there is not enough time to catch up on actual black letter law. For those who have done the SQE with a course provider (e.g. BPP, ULaw), did you find that the materials provided by your provider was sufficient for learning on the go? Or did you have to essentially study e.g. contract law principles again from scratch? How much law did you need to know for the exam - do you need to go into detail of knowing the exact case authority which best fits the question?

I am on a gap year now and I honestly can't remember any law that I've learnt from my undergrad days because I clear that info from my brain as soon as I'm done with the exam. Should I be worried if I cannot remember ANYTHING from my undergrad days?

AlexJ

Valued Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Sep 23, 2022
    Just wanted to add... I have also read bits and bops about how there's a lot of new content to be learnt whilst on the course but there is not enough time to catch up on actual black letter law. For those who have done the SQE with a course provider (e.g. BPP, ULaw), did you find that the materials provided by your provider was sufficient for learning on the go? Or did you have to essentially study e.g. contract law principles again from scratch? How much law did you need to know for the exam - do you need to go into detail of knowing the exact case authority which best fits the question?

I am on a gap year now and I honestly can't remember any law that I've learnt from my undergrad days because I clear that info from my brain as soon as I'm done with the exam. Should I be worried if I cannot remember ANYTHING from my undergrad days?
    You don’t have much time to learn the underlying law- although the materials we were given were quite helpful. It might be useful to get these off someone currently doing the course to look at over summer

Reactions: average_jo123 and O

rosec

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 25, 2022
    Don’t have any advice as I’m also starting in September but just wanted to drop by and say that you’re not alone with these worries, the thought of doing the SQE has me absolutely terrified 😭 my TC offer states the same so just know that we’re all in this together
    Also don’t worry, I can’t remember anything from my undergrad modules either 😭

plw

• May 4, 2020
    Hi all,

Recent news about firms revoking TCs for failing the SQE1 has given me quite a lot of jitters. My offer letter also stipulates that my TC offer is conditional upon passing the SQE on first attempt, so failing really isn't an option for me and I want to give myself my best shot at getting this right.

I am due to start the LLM Legal Practice (SQE1&2) prep course at ULaw London Moorgate in September 2024. Was wondering if anyone here could shed some light on how best to prepare ahead of the course start date? If there is realistically nothing I can do ahead of the course starting, for those who have finished the SQE1, is there anything you wish you had known earlier when you first started the course that would have made the exams less painful?

Just for some context, I did a 3-year undergrad law degree, graduated in summer 2023.
    Hey, I passed the SQE exams recently and pretty well too so can provide some insights.

Preparing for SQE 1

The SQE 1 is designed to test your mental bandwidth across 16 different subjects in two papers. It is looking more for the breadth of your knowledge rather than depth (which your LLB/LLM would have tested). This means that you have to be comfortable with toggling between different areas of law in one sitting. It does not expect you to remember different judges opinions, case names or dissenting commentary, its primary aim is to test your understanding of legal concepts and principles.

It took me a while to get used to this system of testing but ultimately the best resource is question banks. ULaw provides an amazing database full of questions that will test your ability to recall answers and look for keywords to quickly pick the answer (1 minute 42 seconds is the time recommended per question)

There are other free and paid resources out there (and more will soon follow) that you can use if you would like something different from ULaw. Ultimately, candidates sign an NDA before taking the exam so it is impossible for prep courses and schools to know what comes out. Therefore, it is worthwhile to try a couple of resources as opposed to relying on just one resource.

I made a post back in December on the question banks currently available that are free or affordable that you can check here:

What you can do now

For now, all you can realistically do is brush up on your underlying legal knowledge (criminal law, trust law, contract law, tort law, public law, land law, and legal systems). It is unlikely that ULaw will go through these with you during classes as they will be teaching you new subjects such as criminal litigation, civil dispute resolution, business law, property practice, wills, and ethics. Therefore, I highly recommend you get a head start on the underlying law subjects as these are given equal weightage as the new subjects you will learn with ULaw.

Depending on ULaw, you may be given early access to their database of questions maybe 1-2 months before your course starts. So in the meantime, you may revisit some old notes or use some of the question banks currently in the market to start testing your MCQ instincts.

You can start by practicing studying concepts, such as active recall and spaced repetition, and reminding yourself that this exam is not concerned with nuanced commentary and judges' opinions, it is about testing your efficiency and accuracy with concepts. Keep your notes simple, neat, and to the point considering the sheer breadth of the content. By doing this now, you will be less overwhelmed once ULaw teaches you the new subjects.

I'll end by saying this, the SQE is a tough and intense exam. Some may only need 4 months of prep to get a distinction and some may need 9-10 months to pass. It mainly comes down to your consistency and whether you're willing to adapt to this unorthodox method of testing legal knowledge. Considering you are already intrigued to learn at such an early stage, you may be less caught off guard once you start the course. I hope this helps and best of luck, you will be fine.

Seabird15

Star Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 15, 2021
    I would seriously recommend starting the black letter law while you can. Like you, I had done my LLB some time ago and was also on my gap year before I started at BPP. Finishing making flashcards for 3/4 modules on the black letter law before the course even started was a godsend. I had SO much less to do and could actually take most weekends off during the course (except in the month before SQE 1 obviously), whereas most of my classmates simply could not keep up or left it right until the last minute. Do not underestimate how important the non-taught subjects are, especially tort and legal services in my opinion. Almost the entirety of my SQE 1 exams were black letter law based for both FLK 1 and FLK 2.

Reactions: O

Seabird15

Star Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 15, 2021

1. Do not be worried that you don't remember anything from your undergrad days. It will come back to you really quickly and in any case, the SQE only tests the surface legal principles rather than critical legal thought like at Uni.

2. You needed to know A LOT of legal principles but not legal argument. If there was a 'landmark' case I did actually try and remember the facts of the case (not the name) because I had heard that many of the questions in the exam mirrored a case authority and didn't want to leave it to chance. This worked in my favour but it is certainly not disastrous if you don't want to.

InvesmentBanker

Distinguished Member
    Junior Lawyer
    May 26, 2023
    As stated above, revise your underlying law (criminal, trusts, land, tort and contract) as much as possible. This is about 50% of the exam and won't be taught in your preparation course. There is very little time to study everything and so getting that head start is incredibly useful.

legallyblonde500

Standard Member
    Jan 14, 2023
    I would seriously recommend starting the black letter law while you can. Like you, I had done my LLB some time ago and was also on my gap year before I started at BPP. Finishing making flashcards for 3/4 modules on the black letter law before the course even started was a godsend. I had SO much less to do and could actually take most weekends off during the course (except in the month before SQE 1 obviously), whereas most of my classmates simply could not keep up or left it right until the last minute. Do not underestimate how important the non-taught subjects are, especially tort and legal services in my opinion. Almost the entirety of my SQE 1 exams were black letter law based for both FLK 1 and FLK 2.
    This is very helpful, thank you! Can I ask how you found the BPP prep course and how you went about making your flashcards for the Black Letter law subject ahead of your course start date? Would be great to know if you relied on your uni notes, or whether you used any of the Revise SQE or ULaw textbooks (which are heard are pretty good). Thanks in advance :) I am in the same boat as the person who started this thread and am currently also thinking how I can make best use of my time head of the course start date.

Seabird15

Star Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 15, 2021
    This is very helpful, thank you! Can I ask how you found the BPP prep course and how you went about making your flashcards for the Black Letter law subject ahead of your course start date? Would be great to know if you relied on your uni notes, or whether you used any of the Revise SQE or ULaw textbooks (which are heard are pretty good). Thanks in advance :) I am in the same boat as the person who started this thread and am currently also thinking how I can make best use of my time head of the course start date.

The BPP prep course was average, definitely wouldn't give it anymore credit than that. The tutors were very good given the limited knowledge they have of the SQE, but the Apply tasks were pointless and overwhelming, as was the reflection portfolio that was due the day after we sat SQE 1. Most of their content was just regurgitated from the LPC so had a lot of waffle and I didn't feel it was focused on the SQE, although I'm sure that some people will disagree with me and their strong pass rates must reflect that they are doing something right. Personally, I purchased ULaw books because I had such a hard time with the BPP content, mostly because their complicated formatting with random images everywhere meant it took FOREVER to paste it into a word document so that I could make my own flashcards, that I just gave up with it in the end.

I did not rely on my uni notes at all and I solely used the ULaw books as I thought my uni notes were too comprehensive for a MCQ exam that it would have taken forever to memorise all of it. The ULaw books were really good for making flashcards as they were clearly divided into each subtopic and always had the SQE spec on the front of each chapter so you know that you have covered all the spec once finished with them.

methuselah

Standard Member
    Feb 20, 2024

Hey, there are some really good pieces of advice on this thread, and I'd like to add a few more! Those jitters are completely understandable – especially with TCs on the line.

I would say before commencing your course, a quick brush up on core legal concepts (things like contract, tort, land, trusts, criminal, legal systems, and constitutional) will help ease you back into the legal mindset. Even a light review can make a big difference when your course begins. Also, check out the SQE1 assessment specification on the SRA website (https://sqe.sra.org.uk/exam-arrangements/assessment-information/sqe1-assessment-specification). Getting familiar with the exam format (multiple-choice questions, case studies, etc.) will save you some stress later.

As it's been a while since university, now's a great time to brush up on your study skills. Revisit things like note-taking strategies, time management, and figure out how you learn best (reading, flashcards, practice questions, etc). Staying updated on legal news or blogs will help you start thinking about the practical applications of the law, which is a big part of the SQE.

Prep courses like ULaw's are designed to cover a lot of ground quickly, so anything you do now will help! While they provide good materials, don't hesitate to use additional resources if they suit your learning style. Right now, focus on understanding core principles rather than memorising every case detail.

One last one: practice is absolutely key! The SQE tests how you apply your knowledge, which is where platforms like PastPaperHero (https://www.pastpaperhero.com/) come in. We've got loads of realistic MCQs to help you practice under pressure and see where to focus your studies. Plus, it's a bargain, and we've got free sample questions to try.

I would also say remember to connect with other aspiring solicitors online for tips, resources, and support. And don't forget to take breaks and look after yourself. Most importantly, focus on building healthy habits now, as the SQE journey can be demanding, and they'll support you throughout your studies.

All the best with your studies!!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.