"Provide details of any careers events you have attended"

GGLove

Jun 20, 2018
Hi everyone,

I'm seeing this question in some vac scheme apps this year. I was just wondering whether you think that I should just list the names of the events, or also add a line or two explaining what the events were about.

The word limits for the answers are usually very generous (around 250-350 words), so I have room to add detail if it's necessary.

P.S. I've seen this on the HL and W&C apps so far.

Reactions: Salma

Salma

Legendary Member
Feb 28, 2018
Hi both,

I would add a line or two about what the event(s) entailed, how you got the place (was this through a successful application, were you chosen as a candidate to attend against X other applicants), what you learned from the event and how it convinced you to pursue a carer in commercial law further.

I hope that helps.

Reactions: GGLove and Jaysen

GGLove

Jun 20, 2018
Hi both,

I would add a line or two about what the event(s) entailed, how you got the place (was this through a successful application, were you chosen as a candidate to attend against X other applicants), what you learned from the event and how it convinced you to pursue a carer in commercial law further.

I hope that helps.
Thanks so much for your reply!

A lot of my events existed purely to advertise the firm, and others were pure networking (e.g. dinners). How would you present these?

Salma

Legendary Member
Feb 28, 2018
Thanks so much for your reply!

A lot of my events existed purely to advertise the firm, and others were pure networking (e.g. dinners). How would you present these?

No worries!

Sorry I am slightly confused were you a campus ambassador for the firm or were you chosen to be a representative and then advertised the networking dinners?

If so, first talk about how you got chosen either as a campus ambassador or representative (whatever the position was), then talk about what exactly you had to do within that position, what skills you learnt or used and how this would be relevant at whatever firm you’re applying to/ the role of a commercial lawyer.

GGLove

Jun 20, 2018
No worries!

Sorry I am slightly confused were you a campus ambassador for the firm or were you chosen to be a representative and then advertised the networking dinners?

If so, first talk about how you got chosen either as a campus ambassador or representative (whatever the position was), then talk about what exactly you had to do within that position, what skills you learnt or used and how this would be relevant at whatever firm you’re applying to/ the role of a commercial lawyer.
Sorry, I didn't express myself clearly. I meant that the purpose of the events was to advertise the firm - there was zero focus on commercial law, or even what the lawyers did! It was 100% "why work at us".

Salma

Legendary Member
Feb 28, 2018
Sorry, I didn't express myself clearly. I meant that the purpose of the events was to advertise the firm - there was zero focus on commercial law, or even what the lawyers did! It was 100% "why work at us".

That’s absolutely fine! You can still draw on skills and experiences you dealt with whilst in that position of seniority.

You can also draw on how you were picked as a representative for the firm and align those experiences with how it has prepared you for a career in commercial law. Let me know if you feel like I haven’t answered your questions properly.

Reactions: GGLove

Salma

Legendary Member
Feb 28, 2018
Also, forgot to add, the above question @GGLove posted is not exclusive to the firm you are applying for, mention every career events, dinners or other opportunities you have attended throughout the city and how it has prepared you for a career as a commercial solicitor.

Last edited:

Mimi

Star Member
Premium Member
Oct 21, 2018
Its good to write the event you've been to and pick out something you learnt/liked about it e.g. international reach, room-sharing system etc. as it demonstrates you know the type of firm you're looking for. I was advised by someone in grad recruitment that you should write more in detail regarding the firm you're applying to and then you can group the other firms together. This is for both a question specifically regarding events you've attended as well as within the work experience section.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.