How to approach this question concerning careers events

Oliver Gilliland

Distinguished Member
Sep 6, 2018
I came across this question

Excluding work experience, please detail all the events you have attended/organised which demonstrate your commitment to increasing your understanding of a career as a Solicitor. (250 words max)*?

My issue is should I include careers events that arent specific to the firm? or should I limit to more 'general careers events' such as LCN live , City Law Live , Law fairs etc?

Salma

Legendary Member
Feb 28, 2018

Excluding work experience, please detail all the events you have attended/organised which demonstrate your commitment to increasing your understanding of a career as a Solicitor. (250 words max)*?

My issue is should I include careers events that arent specific to the firm? or should I limit to more 'general careers events' such as LCN live , City Law Live , Law fairs etc?

Thanks for sharing this Oliver.

White & Case also have a similar question, whilst attending their open day, I spoke to GR and they said any type of experience whether specific to the firm or general should be listed, this is because it shows a wide range of experiences you have undergone to increase your understanding of a career as a solicitor.

Reactions: Jaysen

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

Yep as Selma said -- mention everything.

Reactions: Felicia

Felicia

Star Member
    Oct 1, 2018
    Thanks for your thoughts on this guys and thanks @Oliver for raising it.

Another question on this- being a bit pedantic do you think I would be okay to include events that I have been involved in as part of my paid employment as strictly speaking that does not fall part of work experience (internships/ vacation schemes etc)? Or would it be best to steer clear of anything work related?

Salma

Legendary Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    Thanks for your thoughts on this guys and thanks @Oliver for raising it.

Another question on this- being a bit pedantic do you think I would be okay to include events that I have been involved in as part of my paid employment as strictly speaking that does not fall part of work experience (internships/ vacation schemes etc)? Or would it be best to steer clear of anything work related?

I would include within the work experience section, it’s a great example!

Reactions: Felicia

Oliver Gilliland

Distinguished Member
    Sep 6, 2018
    Thanks for sharing this Oliver.

White & Case also have a similar question, whilst attending their open day, I spoke to GR and they said any type of experience whether specific to the firm or general should be listed, this is because it shows a wide range of experiences you have undergone to increase your understanding of a career as a solicitor.

Thank you for your response. Assuming it would be best to pick like the top 3-5 and go into abit more detail about why you went/what you learnt? Rather than simply listing of 10+ briefly?

Oliver Gilliland

Distinguished Member
    Sep 6, 2018
    I would include within the work experience section, it’s a great example!

One final thing as the question is angled "to increasing your understanding of a career as a Solicitor." Would it be good to mention events you have attended to explore other career paths , which in turn consolidated your desire to be a solicitor etc? Such as going to an investment banking presentation etc( I know this comes up in interview a lot but unsure if it would be strictly relevant)

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.