Re-applying to firms after they rejected

famay26

Aug 31, 2020
Hi all,

Just looking for some advice! I applied to a national full service firm last cycle for a direct TC. I attended both their first an final stage interviews but got rejected after the final stage.
I have reapplied for this same firm this cycle (submitted my app a few days ago). The questions were largely the same but since the last application I have gained 2 new paralegal experiences in new fields, so I have changed my answers to the questions about what areas of law I like, etc because I developed new interests. I’m now feeling a bit anxious as I’ve seen a few threads saying that firms do not always appreciate a candidate who reapplies especially after being rejected from the interview or AC stage. If they reject me this time around at the application stage because I have reapplied and was unsuccessful last year, I suppose it is what it is!
But I’m wondering how I would handle this question if it were to come up in the interview? i have good motivations to apply to this firm and really keen on working there. so just looking for advice on how this would be viewed and dealt with. Thank you!

Alison C

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Nov 27, 2019
    Hi all,

Just looking for some advice! I applied to a national full service firm last cycle for a direct TC. I attended both their first an final stage interviews but got rejected after the final stage.
    I have reapplied for this same firm this cycle (submitted my app a few days ago). The questions were largely the same but since the last application I have gained 2 new paralegal experiences in new fields, so I have changed my answers to the questions about what areas of law I like, etc because I developed new interests. I’m now feeling a bit anxious as I’ve seen a few threads saying that firms do not always appreciate a candidate who reapplies especially after being rejected from the interview or AC stage. If they reject me this time around at the application stage because I have reapplied and was unsuccessful last year, I suppose it is what it is!
    But I’m wondering how I would handle this question if it were to come up in the interview? i have good motivations to apply to this firm and really keen on working there. so just looking for advice on how this would be viewed and dealt with. Thank you!
    I think it depends on the firm. Some see it as showing resilience; others are less forgiving. It might be worth checking their policy but if they don't exclude you, it shows that they don't mind.

The main thing is to address the issues that they will have raised during your feedback. If you were seen as nearly-right-but-not-ready and have had a chance to grow and reflect, then all good. Just make sure that you have your 'good motivations' all ironed out and ready to explain if asked. And make sure you've proactively managed to move on.

Well done for persevering with the dream!

Reactions: AvniD

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    Completely agree with @Alison C! If you do get to the interview stage again, ensure that you show the firm that you have grown your motivations for a career in commercial law at the firm through work ex, introspection on what worked and didn't in the last cycle and detailed examples that showcase your competencies, skills and character traits to the fullest.

Reactions: Alison C

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.