Real Talk about Eversheds Sutherland's 2023 VS App

Matt_96

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018
    Am I the only one going nuts over ES's questions? What in the fresh hell does 'energised' mean?

For reference:
    1. When have you worked towards an ambitious goal? As part of your answer, please describe how you tackled this goal, what set-backs you faced, and what energised you about the situation [500]
    2. When have you delivered a piece of work where quality was an important factor? As part of your answer, please describe why quality was important to you, what approaches you took to help you deliver and what you enjoyed? [500]
    3. You are working on a query for a new client, which has to be responded to tomorrow morning. You were told it was important as Eversheds Sutherland want to impress them. However, you have a lot to work on and the query is taking you longer than you expected. You are now behind on your work for today. You also have emails from other people chasing you for work you have not yet started. What would you do? As part of your answer, please also describe what personal strengths you would draw upon and what you would find energising in this situation? [500]
    For q1 and q2, I appreciate that a STAR approach is probably necessary for the examples themselves - but how do you think we should include the extra bits about energy and quality? Should they just be separate paragraphs at the end?

For q3, it is clear that the question wants us to mix the personal strengths and energising points into our response to the scenario, but I am totally confused about how to deal with the whole 'energising' thing.

What do you guys think?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Energised is just another term for motivating.

For Q3, it is just trying to work out how you are going to stay motivated during particuarly challenging situations that are highly likely to happen in the work place.

Reactions: Asmee DC and Alice G

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Am I the only one going nuts over ES's questions? What in the fresh hell does 'energised' mean?

For reference:
    1. When have you worked towards an ambitious goal? As part of your answer, please describe how you tackled this goal, what set-backs you faced, and what energised you about the situation [500]
    2. When have you delivered a piece of work where quality was an important factor? As part of your answer, please describe why quality was important to you, what approaches you took to help you deliver and what you enjoyed? [500]
    3. You are working on a query for a new client, which has to be responded to tomorrow morning. You were told it was important as Eversheds Sutherland want to impress them. However, you have a lot to work on and the query is taking you longer than you expected. You are now behind on your work for today. You also have emails from other people chasing you for work you have not yet started. What would you do? As part of your answer, please also describe what personal strengths you would draw upon and what you would find energising in this situation? [500]
    For q1 and q2, I appreciate that a STAR approach is probably necessary for the examples themselves - but how do you think we should include the extra bits about energy and quality? Should they just be separate paragraphs at the end?

For q3, it is clear that the question wants us to mix the personal strengths and energising points into our response to the scenario, but I am totally confused about how to deal with the whole 'energising' thing.

What do you guys think?
    When you get a little bit taken aback by a word like this in future (this happened to me too - it is normal to read into things) I genuinely just used to look up the definition and try to consider synonyms I was more accustomed to seeing. Resilience was a word for me I felt was so often bounded around and as soon as i did this and deconstructed it a bit to its literal meaning, I felt much better and more confident in my understanding of what was being asked of me.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: CMD

Asmee DC

Valued Member
    Future Trainee
    Jan 17, 2019

For reference:

What do you guys think?

I agree with what Jessica and Alice have said above. I interpreted the word "energising" to mean "motivating". For q1 and q2 I would discuss what energised you when you discuss what actions you took using the STAR approach. For q3, I would pick 2-3 personal strengths you would draw upon and where appropriate insert a sentence about what is keeping you motivated to finish the urgent query on top of all the other tasks you are fallen behind on. If you need any help with the application, feel free to PM me! Would be happy to help :)

Reactions: CMD

Asmee DC

Valued Member
    Future Trainee
    Jan 17, 2019
    Does anyone know if you can reapply for ES?

If you applied in the past and were unsuccessful, then you can re-apply again! The firm doesn't look at your past applications at all.

However, you can only apply once every cycle. So if you've already applied for VS 2023, then you are going to have to wait until 2024!

• 🤝
    Reactions: NikkiT

Emily K

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Dec 29, 2018
    Hi! I have written an answer for 'when have you delivered a piece of work where quality was an important factor?', but suddenly not sure if it's what Eversheds are looking for. I've written about an example where I delivered high-quality customer service in my summer job, but maybe I would be better writing about an example which is more strictly a 'piece of work'. If anyone has any advice I'd greatly appreciate it :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi! I have written an answer for 'when have you delivered a piece of work where quality was an important factor?', but suddenly not sure if it's what Eversheds are looking for. I've written about an example where I delivered high-quality customer service in my summer job, but maybe I would be better writing about an example which is more strictly a 'piece of work'. If anyone has any advice I'd greatly appreciate it :)

sounds more than fine to me

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Emily K

Asmee DC

Valued Member
    Future Trainee
    Jan 17, 2019
    Hey, has anyone done the AC with Eversheds? I have mine coming up and would really appreciate any tips! :)

Congrats on getting to the AC! That is huge!! I have linked my experience with the AC down below. Good luck!

• Love
    Reactions: NK

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.