Reed Smith - Research Questions

Gunner07

Star Member
Junior Lawyer
Dec 12, 2018
Hi All - I am trying to answer the Reed Smith research questions. One of the question states:

'What current issues do you think have an impact on the legal profession? What impact do they have and why?'

I might be overthinking this - but does this mean trends affecting the legal profession (i.e Big 4, AI etc) or current news headlines that are having an impact on the legal profession (for e.g the downfall of the retail sector)?

Will appreciate some advice on this :)

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
I wouldn't say the second approach is wrong by any means but you need to ensure it is something affecting the profession and not something which is merely incidental to the work of law firms. I hope this helps :)

OH

Star Member
Future Trainee
Nov 24, 2018
Hi All - I am trying to answer the Reed Smith research questions. One of the question states:

'What current issues do you think have an impact on the legal profession? What impact do they have and why?'

I might be overthinking this - but does this mean trends affecting the legal profession (i.e Big 4, AI etc) or current news headlines that are having an impact on the legal profession (for e.g the downfall of the retail sector)?

Will appreciate some advice on this :)

I did the former approach last year and reached the AC stage, before then catching serious flu and not being able to attend any of their dates fml. I spoke about: impact of big 4 on market, how this had led to increases in legal tech, multiple examples, then said how reed smith had done more than rivals with examples.

Reactions: NadineBusty

H S

Distinguished Member
Sep 11, 2018
Hey, do you guys know whether the research questions are to be submitted within 5 days or 5 working days? I emailed grad rec on Wednesday (when I received the questions) but they have yet to reply :/

H S

Distinguished Member
Sep 11, 2018
Also, since the question says "issues" rather than a single "issue", is the expectation to talk about more than one trend affecting the legal profession or one in more detail?

Thank you :)

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Hey, do you guys know whether the research questions are to be submitted within 5 days or 5 working days? I emailed grad rec on Wednesday (when I received the questions) but they have yet to reply :/
I would assume 5 days to be safe and this is more likely if they have not specified 'working days'.

Reactions: H S

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Also, since the question says "issues" rather than a single "issue", is the expectation to talk about more than one trend affecting the legal profession or one in more detail?

Thank you :)
I think you could do well to focus on one issue but make clear how this impacts more broadly. I think word count is always tough and I personally don't think it would be problematic to talk about just one issue - i think it is just the way they have drafted the question.

Reactions: Ali2020 and H S

Thea

Jun 17, 2019
Hi everyone!

This is thread is so helpful! I was wondering how everyone is going about the question "Why have you chosen a career in commercial law?"

Should I also be including why I want a career in commercial law at Reed Smith? The question doesn't specifically ask for it but we haven't had to include this in any other part of the application so I'm assuming this would be where they would want us to mention it?

RubySmithers

Star Member
Jun 25, 2020
Hi everyone!

This is thread is so helpful! I was wondering how everyone is going about the question "Why have you chosen a career in commercial law?"

Should I also be including why I want a career in commercial law at Reed Smith? The question doesn't specifically ask for it but we haven't had to include this in any other part of the application so I'm assuming this would be where they would want us to mention it?

Yes, I would recommend linking back your answer to the firm.

Ricky

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Sep 16, 2018
Hi everyone!

No. This isn't a why do you want to work at Reed Smith question. The question that shows your knowledge of the firm is the one on their core values.

Got to AC last year without linking to the firm. If it flows and comes up naturally, great. Otherwise don't worry.

Reactions: Thea, Alice G and Veep9

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Hi everyone!

agree with @Ricky - avoid reading things into the question - just stick to what they ask :)

• 🤝
Reactions: Ricky, Thea and Veep9

NikkiT

Legendary Member
Oct 2, 2020
Hi everyone, what is the process with Reed Smith? I am about to submit my initial application, are you sent a test/commercial awareness questions automatically or is that the next stage?

A12345

Dec 18, 2018
Hi everyone, what is the process with Reed Smith? I am about to submit my initial application, are you sent a test/commercial awareness questions automatically or is that the next stage?

Hey! So you submit an initial application and if that’s successful, you’ll be sent a situation judgment test (im not sure if everyone gets one of these but it does look like they go through your application first before deciding to send you the test)

then if you meet their benchmark - you will get 3 research questions that you have to submit within 5 days! The next stage is an AC

hope it helps! Good luck!

• 🏆
Reactions: NikkiT

Ricky

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Sep 16, 2018
Hey! So you submit an initial application and if that’s successful, you’ll be sent a situation judgment test (im not sure if everyone gets one of these but it does look like they go through your application first before deciding to send you the test)

then if you meet their benchmark - you will get 3 research questions that you have to submit within 5 days! The next stage is an AC

hope it helps! Good luck!

The selection process is detailed here. https://www.reedsmith.com/en/careers/general/uk-selection-process

There may also be a telephone interview before AC.

"Due to the current Covid-19 crisis, we will be adapting the final stages of the recruitment process to ensure we keep you and our current employees safe along with ensuring we meet the needs of the business. This may mean an additional on-line test followed by a telephone interview and then the case study interview via zoom. We will decide nearer the time what is deemed appropriate and we will keep you updated accordingly."

NikkiT

Legendary Member
Oct 2, 2020
The selection process is detailed here. https://www.reedsmith.com/en/careers/general/uk-selection-process

There may also be a telephone interview before AC.

"Due to the current Covid-19 crisis, we will be adapting the final stages of the recruitment process to ensure we keep you and our current employees safe along with ensuring we meet the needs of the business. This may mean an additional on-line test followed by a telephone interview and then the case study interview via zoom. We will decide nearer the time what is deemed appropriate and we will keep you updated accordingly."

Thanks! From this it seems that the SST is not the next stage, it is sent automatically. Can I ask how you found this assessment (e.g. compared to WG)? Di you do any practice tests in preparation?

Ricky

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Sep 16, 2018
Thanks! From this it seems that the SST is not the next stage, it is sent automatically. Can I ask how you found this assessment (e.g. compared to WG)? Di you do any practice tests in preparation?

SSTs are nothing like WGs. It's not really something you can practice for. Just have a think about the qualities the firm looks for in its trainees and try to be honest.

NikkiT

Legendary Member
Oct 2, 2020
SSTs are nothing like WGs. It's not really something you can practice for. Just have a think about the qualities the firm looks for in its trainees and try to be honest.

Did you find a list of qualities specifically for Reed Smith? Also, how soon after you submitted your application did you receive the test invite?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.