References?

P. Dybala

Star Member
Aug 2, 2018
Hi All,

My family has three businesses, and I have only ever worked in the family business and nowhere else.

The law firms aside from your academic referee require an employment reference but the family reference does not normally count.

I am slightly unsure what to put as my employer reference as I can't really put my brother, mother or my father as my referee.

Do I need to get a quick temp job with an outside employer for this?

Really could do with some help.

P. Dybala

Star Member
Aug 2, 2018
To be honest, firms just ask on the application form to provide my employer reference. I just thought law firms calling my dad or my brother to ask how competent I am or If I was a good employee ...their answers may be slightly biased (just a tiny bit)

But I would like to think that there must be people out there in their second year of Uni applying to law firms when they haven't worked anywhere ever in their life...

Nicole

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Feb 28, 2018
To be honest, firms just ask on the application form to provide my employer reference. I just thought law firms calling my dad or my brother to ask how competent I am or If I was a good employee ...their answers may be slightly biased (just a tiny bit)

But I would like to think that there must be people out there in their second year of Uni applying to law firms when they haven't worked anywhere ever in their life...

For the reference, is there anyone else that worked in your family business that could comment and isn't a family member? I agree, it would look a bit odd if they were calling up your dad for a reference on you!

As to your second point - I think that is probably true, but I would suggest getting a temp job if you can. While I'm sure you've probably learned plenty in your family business, I think it'll probably be questioned at an interview if you haven't worked any other types of jobs.

D

Deleted member 348

For the reference, is there anyone else that worked in your family business that could comment and isn't a family member? I agree, it would look a bit odd if they were calling up your dad for a reference on you!

As to your second point - I think that is probably true, but I would suggest getting a temp job if you can. While I'm sure you've probably learned plenty in your family business, I think it'll probably be questioned at an interview if you haven't worked any other types of jobs.

I hope you don't mind me reviving this thread. In prep for applications opening, I was wondering if firm's require references? I am only applying to first year schemes/open days.

kaveesha

Star Member
TCLA Writer
Mar 22, 2018
I also meant, do they ask after you have submitted your application for a reference? (First year schemes).

Nope, if they do not ask for references during the application process, it is unlikely (I've never experienced) that they ask for it after.

Maybe if they were to offer you a TC after a first year scheme like I know CC sometimes does, and if the FY scheme application didn't have a reference section but the TC form does, then a reference could be requested? But that's just my speculation as in general they don't ask after the app stage.

D

Deleted member 348

Nope, if they do not ask for references during the application process, it is unlikely (I've never experienced) that they ask for it after.

Maybe if they were to offer you a TC after a first year scheme like I know CC sometimes does, and if the FY scheme application didn't have a reference section but the TC form does, then a reference could be requested? But that's just my speculation as in general they don't ask after the app stage.

Thank you Kaveesha, that is so so helpful!

AJ

Legendary Member
Sep 11, 2018
Sorry, I haven’t followed this whole thread. The fact a law firm (or any employer) is doing a background check means they want you, in whatever capacity. So why not just have an honest conversation and ask the firm at the appropriate point?! I’m sure they’ve experienced students at all levels struggle with reference details.

Just make sure your academic reference is sound!! Or it won’t cast doubt on your profile. It’d be worth identifying a couple of lecturers, a second maybe able to act as a character reference whereas the first comments on academics.

The only firm I’m aware of asking for a reference as part of the application process is Jones Day. No other firm! Given the amount of limited resources firms have to go through applications, attend/organise events and interview, it’s just impractical to add references to that.

As a side note, for employment I’ve secured through online applications, I’ve always had the options of updating my reference! People move or become uncontactable/restricted by prohibitive reference policies.

Reactions: Jaysen
D

Deleted member 348

Sorry, I haven’t followed this whole thread. The fact a law firm (or any employer) is doing a background check means they want you, in whatever capacity. So why not just have an honest conversation and ask the firm at the appropriate point?! I’m sure they’ve experienced students at all levels struggle with reference details.

Just make sure your academic reference is sound!! Or it won’t cast doubt on your profile. It’d be worth identifying a couple of lecturers, a second maybe able to act as a character reference whereas the first comments on academics.

The only firm I’m aware of asking for a reference as part of the application process is Jones Day. No other firm! Given the amount of limited resources firms have to go through applications, attend/organise events and interview, it’s just impractical to add references to that.

As a side note, for employment I’ve secured through online applications, I’ve always had the options of updating my reference! People move or become uncontactable/restricted by prohibitive reference policies.

Thank you AJ! That was very informative. I will be sure to have a few lined up to support my applications in the future.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.