Remote / Campus Studying for GDPL?

Zenitsu

• Feb 16, 2022
    Hello everyone,

I was hoping someone may be able to shed some light on a question that I had regarding the GDPL at The University of Law.

I have recently accepted a TC at a magic circle firm as a non-law student and being asked to apply for a GDPL course soon. The firm says you can apply to any institution that offers it but preferably University of Law.

I wanted to ask if anyone can speak from experience / have knowledge regarding it, if the GDPL course the University of Law offers has a campus/hybrid studying mix? How much of the learning is via remote, and/or what do you need to go on campus for if you do have to go in? I was considering applying for the online only course that they offer (not sure yet if my firm allows this) but wanted to get a good idea of how much remote studying is possible on the original GDPL course.

I appreciate any guidance on this, thank you!

Reactions: George Maxwell

George Maxwell

Administrator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer 50
    Oct 25, 2021
    Hello everyone,

I was hoping someone may be able to shed some light on a question that I had regarding the GDPL at The University of Law.

I have recently accepted a TC at a magic circle firm as a non-law student and being asked to apply for a GDPL course soon. The firm says you can apply to any institution that offers it but preferably University of Law.

I wanted to ask if anyone can speak from experience / have knowledge regarding it, if the GDPL course the University of Law offers has a campus/hybrid studying mix? How much of the learning is via remote, and/or what do you need to go on campus for if you do have to go in? I was considering applying for the online only course that they offer (not sure yet if my firm allows this) but wanted to get a good idea of how much remote studying is possible on the original GDPL course.

Hey @Zenitsu,

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the TC!

Unfortunately I cannot help with this specific query. However, it might be worth taking a look through the content already on the forum using the search bar (if you have not done this already). Jess's post might be helpful with this if you are struggling.

Alternatively asking this on the forum's Training Contract Discussion thread may mean your query is seen by more people more quickly. Hopefully you will get replies on this thread in due course too though🤞

On hand to assist in any way I can with other queries as always!

Reactions: Zenitsu
    D

Deleted member 11671

Hello,

I had written to the University of Law when I was initially considering doing a conversion course before applying to law firms. From what I understood, the hybrid formats only applies to part-time courses which will take two years to complete. For the full-time one, you have the option of in-person or online but ultimately it depends on what your law firm approves. The non-law students I know all had to attend in-person classes, but this could be due to their preference rather than it being stipulated by the firm. I would advise you discuss with the grad rec team about your options.

Jane Smith

Legendary Member
    Sep 2, 2020
    Also do check the current rules as due to covid they have been changing from time to time. Eg my twins did the BPP PGDL last academic year and everyone (100%) had to do it online due to covid (even though booked in for the in person version). That is not of course the case this year as restrictions have lifted. Whereas in that academic year the law conversion course with UoL did had in person course students going into lectures whenever pandemic laws allowed it (so that was different from BPP) and UoL had exams in person in the exam hall I believe (whereas my twins had all BPP GDL exams last academic year online only which in our view was better and this year on the LPC, which they are now doing full time with BPP, they have a choice for exams and are in person for the course on 2 days a week (although if you do not turn up you can watch the material anyway but mine have tended to go to most sessions in person) and my 2 have chosen online exams ( BPP LPC students can choose in the exam hall exams for most of the exams if they prefer this academic year (and the SRA has approved this for BPP but I think not UoL for some reason - may be UoL never asked to continue online exams for a second year ).

In other words it seems to change from time to time due to covid and both as to course attendance and exams and between BPP and UoL which are not the same. For you it might be worth calling both BPP and UoL to get exact up to date answers both to what you can do in person or not (and also how exams will be held if that aspect matters to you). Also as you just accepted a training contract you will be under the new exam system so the firm is probably requiring GDL plus SQE1 preparation and SQE1 exam (followed by SQE 2 after) (not something I know about so do check in undertaking any BPP v UoL comparison what is included for that first year).

I don't know the exact answer to your question. The person we know who did the GDL with UoL in person last year I think went in about 2 days a week, perhaps 3 for the seminars. Law firms will often specify attendance for students sponsored by them eg 3 days a week.

Last edited:

Alison C

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Nov 27, 2019
    Hello everyone,

Hi hi - I can't answer about the hybrid option from experience, but I did do the GDL (the predecessor of the PGDL) in person at U Law Moorgate. I'd been offered a place at BPP as well (getting on the course didn't seem to be a problem) but was really pleased with my choice. I felt that some of the tutors were great and that it was an organisation that seemed to know what it was doing for the most part. I am critical of the actual teaching (no OFSTED 'Outstanding' headed there any time soon) but it's basically a delivery system that works fine.

I think we had a choice of a two-day or two-day schedule and, with my two-day option, I was with the same group on Mondays and Thursdays. When we were in college it was a 9 am start with up to three, two-hour workshops and sometimes a lecture or two. Being in class with a group (of around 22) was in many ways the most helpful aspect. I'm a career changer and it was a bit of an eye-opener being back with people fresh out of university - most of whom had their parents funding them. I found that the 20% of students with TCs had a bit more about them, that they were generally more well-rounded, well-travelled (in life and around the world) and very motivated. Overall the human aspect was really important. It was great to have a cohort and I am sure your firm would prefer you to enjoy that privilege.

In the second half of the course, I opted for the Law of Organisations module which required an extra day in college. If there is any choice about this, which I doubt from an MC firm, then avoid it - the year I did the module it took stupid amounts of time because not only did I have to commute an extra day but also we weren't taught the correct content for the 'problem question' assessment. I learned a lot from the exercise and got a great mark, but I really felt I'd made the wrong choice - doing a research project was the other option and this would have been wiser.

We went into lockdown partway through the academic year and U Law took a while to adapt but they did manage. This was partly because they already had some online infrastructure. They certainly got better press than BPP but I can't say much more than that.

I researched the hybrid vs fully online LPC at U Law and there is a massive price difference - something like £4k from memory. I also looked at campuses outside London but that didn't make sense in the end either - Moorgate had suited me. The fully online version was delivered entirely by pre-recorded lectures, which you could only access as they were released, so there was no way you could be mega-organised and watch them all in the first two weeks, for example! I compared this with the hybrid version they were offering to keep up with COVID-19 restrictions and personal comfort zones. I decided that if I were going to do the LPC I would definitely want a more 'live' version so would pay the extra for that hybrid model, without the commute. In the end, I decided against self-funding the LPC at this point, so I can't speak from experience.

Lucky you that your firm is happy for you to explore different options!

Last edited:

Alison C

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Nov 27, 2019
    Hi everyone,

Thank you all so much for your replies! Definitely given me a lot of good advice in terms of what to do, thank you so much I really appreciate it!
    Honestly, I'd just ask as much as you can from their sales team too. They won't be trying to sell you a product that will make you unhappy. It might not deliver on all fronts but they have a duty to be honest about the time commitment, logistics etc - or to put you in touch with someone who can.

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Junior Lawyer 11
    Oct 12, 2021
    Hi hi - I can't answer about the hybrid option from experience, but I did do the GDL (the predecessor of the PGDL) in person at U Law Moorgate. I'd been offered a place at BPP as well (getting on the course didn't seem to be a problem) but was really pleased with my choice. I felt that some of the tutors were great and that it was an organisation that seemed to know what it was doing for the most part. I am critical of the actual teaching (no OFSTED 'Outstanding' headed there any time soon) but it's basically a delivery system that works fine.

I think we had a choice of a two-day or two-day schedule and, with my two-day option, I was with the same group on Mondays and Thursdays. When we were in college it was a 9 am start with up to three, two-hour workshops and sometimes a lecture or two. Being in class with a group (of around 22) was in many ways the most helpful aspect. I'm a career changer and it was a bit of an eye-opener being back with people fresh out of university - most of whom had their parents funding them. I found that the 20% of students with TCs had a bit more about them, that they were generally more well-rounded, well-travelled (in life and around the world) and very motivated. Overall the human aspect was really important. It was great to have a cohort and I am sure your firm would prefer you to enjoy that privilege.

In the second half of the course, I opted for the Law of Organisations module which required an extra day in college. If there is any choice about this, which I doubt from an MC firm, then avoid it - the year I did the module it took stupid amounts of time because not only did I have to commute an extra day but also we weren't taught the correct content for the 'problem question' assessment. I learned a lot from the exercise and got a great mark, but I really felt I'd made the wrong choice - doing a research project was the other option and this would have been wiser.

We went into lockdown partway through the academic year and U Law took a while to adapt but they did manage. This was partly because they already had some online infrastructure. They certainly got better press than BPP but I can't say much more than that.

I researched the hybrid vs fully online LPC at U Law and there is a massive price difference - something like £4k from memory. I also looked at campuses outside London but that didn't make sense in the end either - Moorgate had suited me. The fully online version was delivered entirely by pre-recorded lectures, which you could only access as they were released, so there was no way you could be mega-organised and watch them all in the first two weeks, for example! I compared this with the hybrid version they were offering to keep up with COVID-19 restrictions and personal comfort zones. I decided that if I were going to do the LPC I would definitely want a more 'live' version so would pay the extra for that hybrid model, without the commute. In the end, I decided against self-funding the LPC at this point, so I can't speak from experience.

Lucky you that your firm is happy for you to explore different options!
    Congratulations to @Alison C for this excellent post which has won you a TCLA Starred Thread award 😊 Thank you to everyone else for your fantastic contributions as well :)

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.