Reneging TC offer

Mia2003

Aug 17, 2023
Hi everyone,

I have been offered a TC with a law firm, but I have since realised that I am strongly interested in legal areas not represented at this particular firm.

I want to ask about the consequences of applying to other TCs and vacation schemes after accepting a TC offer. Of course, I do not yet know whether I would receive an offer from a different firm, but I am also wondering about career advice regarding communicating this to the previous firm if it were to happen.

I read somewhere that the SRA had a stipulation against this at some point, but this no longer seems to exist.

I have not yet had a look at the TC contract I have been offered and the relevant terms and conditions.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
The SRA has no stipulation.

You really need to wait for your T&Cs first.

Generally though you can renege up until you accept any financial support from the firm or start any onboarding processes (whether that be for law school/SQE prep or starting the TC onboarding processes).

Other firms may not allow you to start a VS with them if you have accepted a TC offer elsewhere though.

Last edited:

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.