Responding to TC offer

lawgrad123445

Standard Member
Jun 18, 2020
Hi everyone, I have just received an extremely lucrative training contract offer, but not perhaps an ideal choice because I feel that it leans extremely heavily in a particular practice that I am still rather unsure about, plus I am interviewing for a summer internship, which I think may be a better suited firm. I was therefore planning to make further applications in any case in June, but I asked about the deadline to respond to the offer, and I was told that I had to respond in two weeks. This seems like a rather short response time frame for me, was wondering if there are any regulations surrounding how long a candidate is allowed to make a decision.

Alternatively, would it possible/is it market practice to accept a TC offer before reneging at a later point, and if so what are the consequences that flow from that? Would love to speak to someone with direct knowledge of this thanks!

TC fiend

Legendary Member
  • Apr 27, 2021
    You can renege, but as stated above it becomes tricky once money changes hands. That said, if you get an offer from your preferred firm, you could ask them to reimburse the other firm.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi everyone, I have just received an extremely lucrative training contract offer, but not perhaps an ideal choice because I feel that it leans extremely heavily in a particular practice that I am still rather unsure about, plus I am interviewing for a summer internship, which I think may be a better suited firm. I was therefore planning to make further applications in any case in June, but I asked about the deadline to respond to the offer, and I was told that I had to respond in two weeks. This seems like a rather short response time frame for me, was wondering if there are any regulations surrounding how long a candidate is allowed to make a decision.

Alternatively, would it possible/is it market practice to accept a TC offer before reneging at a later point, and if so what are the consequences that flow from that? Would love to speak to someone with direct knowledge of this thanks!
    The voluntary code of best recruitment practice for trainees suggests a minimum of four weeks to consider an offer unless the start date for legal education or training is fairly immediate.

However, the code is completely voluntary. As the firm are not sticking to it, there is absolutely no reason for you to either. So you could accept, and then renege as others have mentioned. They are right that it gets tricky from the point you receive any funding, but that could start as soon as you start onboarding for either the GDL/LPC/SQE courses though (money does not have to exchange for that) and therefore if you find yourself having to complete onboarding forms for any of these course, be mindful you may be financially committed/liable for the costs of the course if you were to then renege on them.

I wouldn’t advise getting one firm reimbursing the other though - it’s your responsibility to sort out, not theirs.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.