Shoosmiths 2021

Halima Ramjan

Premium Member
Feb 24, 2020
Just got an email saying my application will not be progressed for the vacation scheme but "we want you to know that your application scored highly and will continue to be considered for a training contract". I was told I would be contacted May/June but I'm not sure if I have a fair shot since I couldn't even secure a vacation scheme with them? I'm not sure how the logic works but let me know if anyone has some insight or got the same email!
Hey don’t be disheartened you still have a shot at the TC. It may be that they have less space for a VS than a TC.

LegalLordLox

Legendary Member
Jan 3, 2021
Just got an email saying my application will not be progressed for the vacation scheme but "we want you to know that your application scored highly and will continue to be considered for a training contract". I was told I would be contacted May/June but I'm not sure if I have a fair shot since I couldn't even secure a vacation scheme with them? I'm not sure how the logic works but let me know if anyone has some insight or got the same email!
Well done!!! What office is this for?

LegalLordLox

Legendary Member
Jan 3, 2021
Will be interesting to see if they send that email out to everyone? Or if it actually is selective? I am thinking maybe because some of us work full time and study it may be a strategic move? Who knows.

Nnu

Star Member
  • Mar 9, 2021
    Thank you! Probably should have included this in original post (sorry super new to forum stuff haha) but it's the Edinburgh office! I previously attended their Edinburgh Insight Evening in early February and I think that helped?
    I also attended south insight evening ! didnt help me I didn't get a placement sadly

AD2021

Star Member
    May 22, 2020
    I also got this email! Felt strange as it wasn’t super clear

Afrin Nanavatti

Jan 3, 2021
    Hi! I got an invite for a virtual interview yesterday, has anyone done a Shoosmiths VI before? Is anyone aware of what type of questions they ask? I.e. competency-based/commercial awareness based? Thanks and well done to those who have secured interviews/straight TC assessment centres. I read somewhere that they only have 40 placement positions whereas they have 120 assessment centre places so there is no need to worry!

Omi

Dec 24, 2020
    I think that it was a generic email to everyone to be honest because when we applied it was for the VS in conjunction with a TC. So if you don't get one, you are still in the run in for another. Its strange tho because I haven't heard back from Shoosmiths although they said on their instagram that they had emailed everyone

LegalLordLox

Legendary Member
    Jan 3, 2021
    I think that it was a generic email to everyone to be honest because when we applied it was for the VS in conjunction with a TC. So if you don't get one, you are still in the run in for another. Its strange tho because I haven't heard back from Shoosmiths although they said on their instagram that they had emailed everyone

If you haven’t already, send the GR team an email. I assume you have checked your junk folder?

That does make sense though! That is a lot of people to review again? Maybe they will have a pool of candidate that they will be considering.

hopefully we will get some good news in late may- early June! Tbh it works well for me, just means I don’t have to use my AL for a VS.

xtinew

Distinguished Member
  • Mar 15, 2021
    That would make sense if it was a general email.
    I wonder what happens to those who were originally not eligible to apply for TCs? Does that mean that email is just a rejection straight up? Might have to ask :'(

Edit: penultimate Scots LLBs are considered for TC. My mistake!

Last edited:

CAL_LPC

Aug 5, 2020
    I received a very similar email and wondered the same thing - if my application did not score highly enough to interview for VS, then surely it's almost certainly a 'no' for the TC....? I'm also wondering if we're allowed to edit/add to our TC app before then...seeing as we'll likely have gained new experience/have more to add etc...(I think you are able to).

I suppose it doesn't hurt to just wait and see though!

Reactions: xtinew

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.