Shoosmiths VC and TC Application

Maab Saifeldin

Premium Member
Nov 24, 2018
Hi Guys,

So I am having a little bit of a problem with this question for the Shoosmiths Application.

"In a competitive legal market, how do you think Shoosmiths remains successful and attractive to clients without compromising on profitability? There are many complex issues which may feed into this answer, but we would like you to focus on your top three priorities."

I'd appreciate any help and tips you can give me.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi Guys,

So I am having a little bit of a problem with this question for the Shoosmiths Application.

"In a competitive legal market, how do you think Shoosmiths remains successful and attractive to clients without compromising on profitability? There are many complex issues which may feed into this answer, but we would like you to focus on your top three priorities."

I'd appreciate any help and tips you can give me.

That's an interesting question. It might help to think about what could compromise profitability (so you know you're on the right track). One example would be reducing the fees charged to clients. While this might help Shoosmiths attract clients, it'll impact the firm's profitability.

NLaw18

Star Member
    Feb 27, 2020
    That's an interesting question. It might help to think about what could compromise profitability (so you know you're on the right track). One example would be reducing the fees charged to clients. While this might help Shoosmiths attract clients, it'll impact the firm's profitability.

Hi Jaysen,

I was currently making the application to Shoosmiths and I had a doubt on the kind of issues we could include in the answer to this question. For instance, could training the employees and hiring top quality staff be one of those?
    I would appreciate any help you could provide as soon as possible.

Thank you so much.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi Jaysen,

I was currently making the application to Shoosmiths and I had a doubt on the kind of issues we could include in the answer to this question. For instance, could training the employees and hiring top quality staff be one of those?
    I would appreciate any help you could provide as soon as possible.

Thank you so much.

There’s lots of possible answers to this question, just be prepared to justify it (keeping the profitability point in mind). In your case, that point could definitely be work - just be clear on how that will attract clients and why you feel it’s justified from a profitability point of view (i.e. you might argue better talent = increase in revenue, which will justify the higher cost).

NLaw18

Star Member
    Feb 27, 2020
    There’s lots of possible answers to this question, just be prepared to justify it (keeping the profitability point in mind). In your case, that point could definitely be work - just be clear on how that will attract clients and why you feel it’s justified from a profitability point of view (i.e. you might argue better talent = increase in revenue, which will justify the higher cost).

Thanks for the answer, that does help!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.