Maab Saifeldin

Premium Member
Nov 24, 2018
Hi all,

I have a video interview with Shoosmiths on Saturday and I was just wondering if anyone has had a video interview before and what kind of questions I should expect especially when it comes to commercial awareness.

AspiringLawyer

Dec 30, 2019
I second this.

Also, has anyone clicked the link as per the email instruction "If you need any help with the interview, support is available when you click on the link" and been taken to (for want of another word) a 'landing page' which states "We'll go through some useful information and helpful set-up tips before the assessment starts so you can take your time to make sure you're properly prepared".

I was wondering if you click the button stating "Get Started" means you can't go back at that stage or whether you can access the "useful information" they refer to and can still exit?

I'm too scared to click it!

Maab Saifeldin

Premium Member
Nov 24, 2018
I second this.

Also, has anyone clicked the link as per the email instruction "If you need any help with the interview, support is available when you click on the link" and been taken to (for want of another word) a 'landing page' which states "We'll go through some useful information and helpful set-up tips before the assessment starts so you can take your time to make sure you're properly prepared".

I was wondering if you click the button stating "Get Started" means you can't go back at that stage or whether you can access the "useful information" they refer to and can still exit?

I'm too scared to click it!
if you click it it will start the interview and I don't think you can exit then.

AspiringLawyer

Dec 30, 2019
Hi KS94,

Have had no insight whatsoever! It's a "competency based interview" but apart from that, I'm none the wiser with regards to time allowed for recording, examples of any questions that may come up etc.

I thought this was a bit unusual considering the firm's open approach to recruiting with regards to the other stages.

Maab Saifeldin

Premium Member
Nov 24, 2018
I did a bit of scooping and you have 90 seconds to reply to the question and a trainee told me there could be commercial questions as well as competency-based. The interview will take 15-20 minutes but since it's new there isn't much on the kind of questions that will come up.

I'll make sure to post about my experience after the interview.

AspiringLawyer

Dec 30, 2019
Thank you!

Out of curiosity - when will you be doing the VI?

My understanding is that the deadline is 1am Saturday based on this:

The deadline for this interview is 13 June 2020 (GMT+01:00).

Does anyone else think differently?

I asked this on another feed where you can Ask Graduate Recruitment anything and Jessica kindly confirmed it means that the VI needs to be completed by 23.59 13 June 2020

Raza

May 5, 2020
I did a bit of scooping and you have 90 seconds to reply to the question and a trainee told me there could be commercial questions as well as competency-based. The interview will take 15-20 minutes but since it's new there isn't much on the kind of questions that will come up.

I'll make sure to post about my experience after the interview.
How was the interview any tips on the themes of the competency questions and your experience?

Maab Saifeldin

Premium Member
Nov 24, 2018
SO! Here is the tea lol

1. When the question comes up you have 60seconds to prepare and 90 seconds to answer. You then manually pressure "continue" to move on to the next question. So, you have time to move on to the next question in your own time.
2. The questions are 4: 2 competency and 2 commercial awareness.
3. Competency questions were based on the skills you have from extra circular activities that can help you be a good lawyer. 2 of the questions were skills-based.
4. Commercial awareness questions were about you selling the firm to prospective clients and factors that will affect the firm and its clients in the next 5 years.

Hope this helps and good luck to everyone who has a VI.

Sweety_512

Mar 6, 2022
i had an email to say they are having issues with their platform has anyone been able to complete it? i would also be interested in any guidance from anyone that has done the VI this year please.

Maddiefretwell

Feb 2, 2022
i had an email to say they are having issues with their platform has anyone been able to complete it? i would also be interested in any guidance from anyone that has done the VI this year please.
Same here! I tried to do it today but couldn’t get past the log in. They said they’re confirm a new deadline but it’s made me so nervous!! Anyone who’s done it before would you be able to give some insight as to the kind of things they ask?:)

GS0W

Gold Member
Premium Member
Feb 15, 2021
Same here! I tried to do it today but couldn’t get past the log in. They said they’re confirm a new deadline but it’s made me so nervous!! Anyone who’s done it before would you be able to give some insight as to the kind of things they ask?:)
Hi! At what stage did it not let you login? I want to see if my link is working but I'm scared to click it and it suddenly starts haha. Just want to plan my weekend if it means there is a new deadline then I don't have to spend tomorrow panicking!! Also did you also get an email at midnight today from Shoosmiths reminding you to complete the VI with a link?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.