n15

Jul 21, 2022
Should I self-fund the LPC/SQE or look for another career?

Just a bit about my personal circumstances:

I'm a 2021 Law LLB grad from an ex-poly non-Russell group (first class)
120 UCAS

I've been working but the work isn't skilled and I come from an under-represented background.

I secured 1 Vac scheme for a full service law firm, but my other training contract applications have folded (mostly after online video interviews).

I made several paralegal applications but due to lack of experience I haven't got a job offer yet.

I'm interested in a career in commercial law, but also looked into consulting and recruitment.

I'm concerned about self-funding and spending time studying and potentially not even securing paralegal roles, so I would like to know what I should take into consideration when thinking about self-funding?

Would it be wise to go into further study?

What alternatives are there that are realistic substitutes and less competitive?

Thank you

Reactions: Futurelawyer!

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Hi @n15! Linking this thread here from the forum that concerned a similar discussion. My best advice to you is to only study further if that's what you're truly interested in + if you see a direct benefit flowing from it with regard to your career plans. I partially self-funded my LPC and did so because I knew this was a way for me to get a foot into the world of what legal practice is actually like. This was back in 2019, however, when the SQE hadn't yet been introduced in full force and I may not make the same decision today in light of the SQE, which is probably what I'd choose instead. What kind of work are you doing and has your vac scheme begun yet?

n15

Jul 21, 2022
Hi @n15! Linking this thread here from the forum that concerned a similar discussion. My best advice to you is to only study further if that's what you're truly interested in + if you see a direct benefit flowing from it with regard to your career plans. I partially self-funded my LPC and did so because I knew this was a way for me to get a foot into the world of what legal practice is actually like. This was back in 2019, however, when the SQE hadn't yet been introduced in full force and I may not make the same decision today in light of the SQE, which is probably what I'd choose instead. What kind of work are you doing and has your vac scheme begun yet?
Hi @AvniD , thanks for your reply,

I finished the vac scheme in June and I'm currently working at my university for a digital role. One of the things I've noticed is that quite a few trainees either done paralegal work first or self-funded their vocational studies before attaining their training contract, which is why I'm considering whether to self-fund. I think that doing the vocational course would make it more likely for me to enter a legal role.

I also feel at this time its better for me to study again and take some degree of risk (due to my age, personal circumstances and support).

I'm interested in a legal career, but I wouldn't force it if it takes very long to get my foot through the door especially if there are other alternatives that I could be highly suitable for.

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Hi @AvniD , thanks for your reply,

I finished the vac scheme in June and I'm currently working at my university for a digital role. One of the things I've noticed is that quite a few trainees either done paralegal work first or self-funded their vocational studies before attaining their training contract, which is why I'm considering whether to self-fund. I think that doing the vocational course would make it more likely for me to enter a legal role.

I also feel at this time its better for me to study again and take some degree of risk (due to my age, personal circumstances and support).

I'm interested in a legal career, but I wouldn't force it if it takes very long to get my foot through the door especially if there are other alternatives that I could be highly suitable for.
It seems like you're leaning towards going back into studies, which is totally fine. I truly believe an education never goes to waste. However, you absolutely don't need to work as a paralegal to get a training contract- while it will give you is an understanding of what lawyers do and how law firms work, and this knowledge is generally easily gained through work experience, there are other ways to do this as well. Attending open days, webinars, grad recruitment events etc are some. I'd also recommend reflecting on your motivations for wanting to enter this career- what attracts you to commercial law, why are you interested in the firms you're applying to, what skills/attributes do you have that make you 'you'.

Wishing you the best- keep us in the loop!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.