Simmons & Simmons video interview

MM

Nov 25, 2019
Hey! Of course. Honestly, if you look at the posts, all the people have pretty much summed it up.

The only advice I will give is that 90 seconds is a lot shorter than you think if you go in unprepared. So use the time for preparation seriously and quickly map out your answer (you need to have certain points prepared beforehand that you can draw on).

However, don’t over prepare. Know what you will say but don’t rehearse answers. In regards to the actual questions asked, it’s already covered in this thread or another more general one.

Hey ! Thanks so much for sharing your tips. I plan on doing the VI in a couple of days. Could you maybe elaborate on what is meant by 'experience' questions? How would you say the questions are different this cycle compared to the last one?

FutureCity

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Dec 23, 2018
Hey ! Thanks so much for sharing your tips. I plan on doing the VI in a couple of days. Could you maybe elaborate on what is meant by 'experience' questions? How would you say the questions are different this cycle compared to the last one?

I didn’t do it last cycle so wouldn’t know. The only experience question I was asked was related to explaining a scenario where I had displaced analytical skills. Hope that helps.

Charles

Distinguished Member
Sep 25, 2019
Hey! Of course. Honestly, if you look at the posts, all the people have pretty much summed it up.

The only advice I will give is that 90 seconds is a lot shorter than you think if you go in unprepared. So use the time for preparation seriously and quickly map out your answer (you need to have certain points prepared beforehand that you can draw on).

However, don’t over prepare. Know what you will say but don’t rehearse answers. In regards to the actual questions asked, it’s already covered in this thread or another more general one.

Hello LawDudeForce just a quick one please: you said to quickly map out your answer, what do you mean by that?

Emina

Star Member
Jul 16, 2019
I did mine two days ago for the Winter Vacation scheme. Haven't heard back. Surprised they sent an invite for a VI this late into the process. Not expecting a positive response.

Hi! I applied for the Winter VS at Simmons as well, did my VI about a month ago. I just received an email from grad rec last week stating that I had made it to the AC stage, but because places for the Winter VS had been filled, my application would be transferred to the summer scheme instead. Hope this helps!

Charles

Distinguished Member
Sep 25, 2019
Hi! I applied for the Winter VS at Simmons as well, did my VI about a month ago. I just received an email from grad rec last week stating that I had made it to the AC stage, but because places for the Winter VS had been filled, my application would be transferred to the summer scheme instead. Hope this helps!

Hello Emina please could you let me know the questions you were asked and how did you go after your preparation for the Video Interview and what was your dress code? Thanks

In other news I did the online tests recently and they were not funny lol

Last edited:

FutureCity

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Dec 23, 2018

Hey! I received an email saying that they winter scheme is full but they are still reviewing my application for summer. Did you receive a assessment centre invite already?

Thanks and Best of luck!

Emina

Star Member
Jul 16, 2019
Hello Emina please could you let me know the questions you were asked and how did you go after your preparation for the Video Interview and what was your dress code? Thanks

In other news I did the online tests recently and they were not funny lol

Hi Charles, sorry for my late reply!

I don't know if you've done the VI yet, but the questions were a mix of motivational and competency-based questions, and there was at least one commercial question. I think there were 6 questions in all. I can unfortunately not recall the exact questions that were asked, but if you look at previous posts by other members you'll see the type of questions that are asked.

For preparation, I would have a good look at my CV and application form, research Simmons & Simmons, and prepare for standard questions if I were you. Make sure to keep track of the time during the VI, 90 seconds can be both too much and too little time depending on how you approach it!

Re dress code - I dressed as if it were a "real" interview (i.e in person). Also make sure to do the interview in a silent room where you can do it without being disturbed, have a neutral background, etc.

And YES, the tests were one-of-a-kind lol, at least the one with the symbols... I did not think I passed it initially!

Hope this helps - best of luck with your interview!

Emina

Star Member
Jul 16, 2019
Hey! I received an email saying that they winter scheme is full but they are still reviewing my application for summer. Did you receive a assessment centre invite already?

Thanks and Best of luck!

Hi! Yes I received an AC invite! I did my VI about a month ago though, and received the AC invite around 21st October.
Best of luck with your application!

• 🤝
Reactions: FutureCity

Charles

Distinguished Member
Sep 25, 2019
How were the questions this year?

For anyone yet to do the questions these were what i got [paraphrased obviously]:
1] Tell us about yourself [30 seconds preparation and 30seconds to record your answer]
[2] The world has changed and so has our legal world. Tell us a change in the legal world [30 seconds to prepare and 90 seconds to record your answer]
[3] Was there a time you had to employ analytical skill? what actions did you take [30 seconds to prepare and 90 seconds to record your answer]
4] what attracts you to our firm? [30 seconds to prepare and 90 seconds to record your answer]
5] Yesterday you told your supervisor that you would be free today. Your supervisor lets you know that you should help him with an urgent project but you had taken on some work for an associate earlier on in the day. There are six other trainees who are available. What would you do? [30 seconds to prepare and 90 seconds to record your answer]
[6] I cannot remember the other question

Like everyone has said the key is preparation though

Something important to note is that when its time to record there is going to be a countdown before it starts recording. lol I did not know this so there were some questions that I had started speaking before it started recording

Last edited:

Charles

Distinguished Member
Sep 25, 2019
Thanks
Hi Charles, sorry for my late reply!

I don't know if you've done the VI yet, but the questions were a mix of motivational and competency-based questions, and there was at least one commercial question. I think there were 6 questions in all. I can unfortunately not recall the exact questions that were asked, but if you look at previous posts by other members you'll see the type of questions that are asked.

For preparation, I would have a good look at my CV and application form, research Simmons & Simmons, and prepare for standard questions if I were you. Make sure to keep track of the time during the VI, 90 seconds can be both too much and too little time depending on how you approach it!

Re dress code - I dressed as if it were a "real" interview (i.e in person). Also make sure to do the interview in a silent room where you can do it without being disturbed, have a neutral background, etc.

And YES, the tests were one-of-a-kind lol, at least the one with the symbols... I did not think I passed it initially!

Hope this helps - best of luck with your interview!

Thanks Emina. No worries and your apology is accepted [Yeah I had already done it]. On the plus side I did dress up like it was a real interview [at least my upper region]

Yeah the tests were not funny, mine is the opposite I felt I did better on the logical test than the verbal one.

Congratulations on your invite, well done! Do you mean you did your VI in Oct and got the AC invitation in November?

Emina

Star Member
Jul 16, 2019
Thanks

Thanks Emina. No worries and your apology is accepted [Yeah I had already done it]. On the plus side I did dress up like it was a real interview [at least my upper region]

Yeah the tests were not funny, mine is the opposite I felt I did better on the logical test than the verbal one.

Congratulations on your invite, well done! Do you mean you did your VI in Oct and got the AC invitation in November?

Congrats on completing the VI, I hope it went well! And sorry again for not replying sooner, I am new to TCLA so I didn't even know you could receive notifications for someone replying to your post lol!

Re the AC invite, yes that was a typo - I meant to say that I did my VI around 30th October, and received the AC invite around 21st November! However, because the places for the winter VS were already full, they asked me if I am willing to transfer to the summer VS :)

Let me know when you hear back from S&S - fingers crossed!

Charles

Distinguished Member
Sep 25, 2019
Congrats on completing the VI, I hope it went well! And sorry again for not replying sooner, I am new to TCLA so I didn't even know you could receive notifications for someone replying to your post lol!

Re the AC invite, yes that was a typo - I meant to say that I did my VI around 30th October, and received the AC invite around 21st November! However, because the places for the winter VS were already full, they asked me if I am willing to transfer to the summer VS :)

Let me know when you hear back from S&S - fingers crossed!

you can receive notifications?! had no clue. its cool no need to apologise. I will let you know - just have to figure how to message one privately on this site!

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    you can receive notifications?! had no clue. its cool no need to apologise. I will let you know - just have to figure how to message one privately on this site!
    Ha, we need to work on making this clearer! To send a private message, you can click on an avatar and select ‘Start a Conversation’ :).

Ali2020

Esteemed Member
    Dec 11, 2019
    I did this interview last year and was successful, let me know if you have any questions about the AC or the VI.
    Hi

Congrats on being successful! Please could you give more insight as to how the video interview is/online test? Also what would you recommend to prepare for this assessment/interview?

Thanks!
    Saqibah

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.