Skadden Insight Evening

J Wu

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Sep 11, 2018
One of the questions on Skadden's apps is 'Please give details of any interests/hobbies you have outside of university/work.'

Would the term 'university' include things related to university societies or would I be able to include them in my answer?

Last edited:

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    One of the questions on Skadden's apps is 'Please give details of any interests/hobbies you have outside of university/work.'

Would the term 'university' include things related to university societies or would I be able to include them in my answer?
    I would imagine that societies would be not be included as they are an extra-curricular activity which is effectively what the question is asking, however, I could be wrong!

Reactions: Salma and J Wu

Helena

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    So if you did Pro Bono work for example with a local solicitor but it was through the Student Appeals Project I assume that is part of the University society activities?

Naomi

Esteemed Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 14, 2018

I talked about how I develop and keep up with my language skills, interests outside of university e.g. my interest in pilates and yoga, and events or conferences I've been to that haven't been related to university e.g. Shearman & Sterling's women in law conference because diversity within the legal profession, and wider professional services, is important to me.

I put societies in the positions of responsibility question, but I guess if you just attended and didn't necessarily have an executive position then there is probably no reason why it can't go in this question.

J Wu

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 11, 2018
    I talked about how I develop and keep up with my language skills, interests outside of university e.g. my interest in pilates and yoga, and events or conferences I've been to that haven't been related to university e.g. Shearman & Sterling's women in law conference because diversity within the legal profession, and wider professional services, is important to me.

I put societies in the positions of responsibility question, but I guess if you just attended and didn't necessarily have an executive position then there is probably no reason why it can't go in this question.

Yeah at the moment, I've filled up the positions of responsibilities question with my committee positions and then put society activities separate from my responsibilities in this question

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.