Skadden Insight Evening

Leke

Star Member
Future Trainee
Jun 24, 2018
Hey Naomi and Gricole,

I have been. It is very chilled to be honest.

You start with an introduction to Skadden. They tell you about their underdog start, their competition with whiteshoe firms, and all the remaining fascinating info you may have discovered or not.

After this you have a Q&A sesh. I expect Aidan Connor from Grad Rec to have asked you to prep a list of questions that you should send to him. He collates the questions he gets and from them selects the ones he puts to the panel in the opening sesh of the Q&A. After the first Q&A sesh he opens the floor for other questions from you guys. That's basically it.

After the Q&A sesh you are then taken to another room where you get to meet with the Panel and other peeps from Skadden (while snacking). That is basically it.

To be fair I will say that it is nothing to be stressed about. They are really chilled at Skadden and everyone who attends the open day is really keen so you will probs just need to listen into conversations, ask your questions and ask follow up questions from other peoples qs.

One tactic I used was to note statements made by people I spoke to that I could then feed into my app. This got me an AC at Skadden for their VC (even though I had a 2:2 in contract law, had no commercial experience other than blogging at Market Mogul, went to Exeter (not that Exeter is bad just wanted to say this so you could know there was nothing too stellar about my Uni if you get what I mean) and they were 1300 apps that year for 80 AC spots). Prep for the open day as much as possible, take on advice and have meaningful conversations.

Expect to meet many stellar kids and peeps from stellar schools. One guy at the open day spoke +/- 5 languages and went to Kings. Do not start to feel less confident if you know what I mean.

Here is what I said to Gricole earlier about applying:

***I will say that you try to apply for Skadden's December open day. It is pretty easy to apply to and I do not even think I applied for anything to be honest. I just emailed grad rec asking if I they were running it and told them I will like to attend if possible. They got back to me pretty promptly and I had a place on an open day with no application I think!***

On getting a spot @Naomi:

I literally just sent an email to grad rec telling them about my interest and asking them if I could come visit/if they had an app process for the open day or something along that lines.

Last edited:

Naomi

Esteemed Member
Premium Member
Oct 14, 2018
Hey Naomi and Gricole,

I have been. It is very chilled to be honest.

You start with an introduction to Skadden. They tell you about their underdog start, their competition with whiteshoe firms, and all the remaining fascinating info you may have discovered or not.

After this you have a Q&A sesh. I expect Aidan Connor from Grad Rec to have asked you to prep a list of questions that you should send to him. He collates the questions he gets and from them selects the ones he puts to the panel in the opening sesh of the Q&A. After the first Q&A sesh he opens the floor for other questions from you guys. That's basically it.

After the Q&A sesh you are then taken to another room where you get to meet with the Panel and other peeps from Skadden (while snacking). That is basically it.

To be fair I will say that it is nothing to be stressed about. They are really chilled at Skadden and everyone who attends the open day is really keen so you will probs just need to listen into conversations, ask your questions and ask follow up questions from other peoples qs.

One tactic I used was to note statements made by people I spoke to that I could then feed into my app. This got me an AC at Skadden for their VC (even though I had a 2:2 in contract law, had no commercial experience other than blogging at Market Mogul, went to Exeter (not that Exeter is bad just wanted to say this so you could know there was nothing too stellar about my Uni if you get what I mean) and they were 1300 apps that year for 80 AC spots). Prep for the open day as much as possible, take on advice and have meaningful conversations.

Expect to meet many stellar kids and peeps from stellar schools. One guy at the open day spoke +/- 5 languages and went to Kings. Do not start to feel less confident if you know what I mean.

Here is what I said to Gricole earlier about applying:

***I will say that you try to apply for Skadden's December open day. It is pretty easy to apply to and I do not even think I applied for anything to be honest. I just emailed grad rec asking if I they were running it and told them I will like to attend if possible. They got back to me pretty promptly and I had a place on an open day with no application I think!***

On getting a spot @Naomi:

I literally just sent an email to grad rec telling them about my interest and asking them if I could come visit/if they had an app process for the open day or something along that lines.

Thank you so much for such an informative response!

How was the AC? And may I ask where you are due to start your TC?

Leke

Star Member
Future Trainee
Jun 24, 2018
Thank you so much for such an informative response!

How was the AC? And may I ask where you are due to start your TC?
Hey Naomi,

No problem! The AC did not go as planned because I was not very confident on the day. I actually cried before starting because it was Skadden and here I was. It was that bad. I wish I knew TCLA back then. You know what, I will type something up on my experience and send it to @Jaysen since it is VC app season.
I am due to start my TC at Norton Rose Fulbright.

• 🤝
  • ℹ️
Reactions: Naomi, gricole, Salma and 3 others

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hey Naomi,

No problem! The AC did not go as planned because I was not very confident on the day. I actually cried before starting because it was Skadden and here I was. It was that bad. I wish I knew TCLA back then. You know what, I will type something up on my experience and send it to @Jaysen since it is VC app season.
    I am due to start my TC at Norton Rose Fulbright.

We're really grateful that you stuck around to share your advice!

Reactions: Leke

Abstruser

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Jul 19, 2018
    Thank you, I'll do that! I find it so odd no one has responded to my emails... surely a gmail wouldn't go to junk...

It depends who you emailed! I initially emailed Aidan Connor, but got an automated email saying that he no longer works at the firm, and to direct all emails to Leanne Mendham instead :)

Naomi

Esteemed Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 14, 2018
    It depends who you emailed! I initially emailed Aidan Connor, but got an automated email saying that he no longer works at the firm, and to direct all emails to Leanne Mendham instead :)

Ah I never got an automated response, and then forwarded that email to a generic info@skadden type account and still didn't get a response. It's funny because I remember emailing Aiden last year to try and attend and he never responded to me then either! Ah well, third time lucky I hope!

Reactions: Abstruser

J Wu

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 11, 2018
    Ah I never got an automated response, and then forwarded that email to a generic info@skadden type account and still didn't get a response. It's funny because I remember emailing Aiden last year to try and attend and he never responded to me then either! Ah well, third time lucky I hope!
    Leanne didn't respond to me initially too, but did after I chased her up a week later! Just chase her up and I'm sure she will respond.

Naomi

Esteemed Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 14, 2018
    Leanne didn't respond to me initially too, but did after I chased her up a week later! Just chase her up and I'm sure she will respond.

She emailed me back this morning to say the event is now oversubscribed. Very disappointed especially as I’d initially emailed well over a month ago.

Those who are going, please could you share what insight you gain. Would be much appreciated

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    She emailed me back this morning to say the event is now oversubscribed. Very disappointed especially as I’d initially emailed well over a month ago.

Those who are going, please could you share what insight you gain. Would be much appreciated

That's frustrating. You probably emailed earlier than most people.

J Wu

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 11, 2018

Really sorry to hear this! Will be sure to share my notes after the event.

Reactions: Naomi

J Wu

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 11, 2018
    Welcome and introduction to Skadden

· A common perception of Skadden is that it focusses mainly on corporate work, but the firm has a very rounded practice, including market-leading international arbitration/litigation/white-collar crime practices.

· Skadden hits a certain sweet spot in the market where it has both breadth and depth across its practices.

· “the training is only as good as the people you learn from”

Origins

· Three associates (Skadden, Arps and Slate) who were unlikely to make partner at their original firm decided to start up their own firm on April Fools’ Day in 1948. This was a very bold move at the time and they had a scrappy beginning amongst a scene of established ‘white shoe’ firms in New York. Their first associate, Joe Flom, would become one of the most significant figures in the firm’s history; he was key for much of their firm’s growth and future expansion. à There was an ethos of “we are just as smart as our competitors but willing to work harder”

· The firm notably has an all-equity partner structure (no non-equity partners)

Growth/practices/awards

· The firm has mainly grown through organic growth which has helped to maintain a consistent culture throughout its history.

· The firm has grown many of its practice areas of the years.

o When this partner joined in 2002, there were only 2 disputes lawyers and now the London office’s disputes practices have received tier 1 rankings for the last 5 years​

o There has been significant growth in areas, such as international arbitration, which other firms are not as big in.​

o They have a lot of awards (there was a huge list on the board, I didn’t get most of them down)​

§ International Arbitration Team of the Year 2017 – David worked on this. It was in relation to a dispute between South Sudan and the newly formed Sudan over oil fields. In this situation, they were counselling a new government that had only just been set up on the back of a civil war and were required to draft entirely new sets of law.

§ 1st firm to handle more than $1tn in global announced M&A in a year – (2015) Mergermarket/Reuters? (Unsure about the source)

· Huge transactions

o CME Groups $6bn acquisition of NEX Group

o Pfizer’s proposed $115bn acquisition of AstraZeneca​

· These examples give an indication of the complex/high-value/precedent-setting work Skadden do. High demand, but high reward.

· Pro-bono is a big part of the firm’s DNA. Pro-bono hours go towards end-of-year bonuses. Example pro-bono work includes successful asylum applications for refugees coming to the UK. Notably, the firm also funds/pays people outside of the firm to do pro-bono work as well.

Some of the firm’s key pillars/focuses

· They are one firm & one culture globally

· High-quality work

· Highest integrity and ethical stands

· Diversity & inclusion

· Collaboration & Professional growth

Debunking the Myths

They are a NY firm (myth):

· they are a global firm that has focused on organic growth. The firm has been in London for 30 years, the training programme has existed since 2005. The firm has market-leading lawyers across both UK and US and has recently developed many London practices such as its PE and insurance practices.

Skadden is a sweatshop/cut-throat (myth):

· The notion that lawyers at Skadden work too hard isn’t something that is unique to Skadden. It’s very much the case across the industry that lawyers at many firms will work too hard. On these significant transactions, where they might have to pull some late nights, there will be lawyers on the other side from both UK and US firms who will have to do similar hours when things start to get busy.

· It’s about working both hard, but also smarter – the focus is on getting the job done, communicating well and managing the client’s expectations.

· There are economic cycles and busy periods where late nights might happen a lot, but counsel notes how these periods were also the highlights of his career. Notably, he worked on the proposed Pfizer – AstraZeneca acquisition. These were the busiest 6 weeks of his life, but he found it fulfilling and enjoyable in the end.

· There’s no facetime culture

· There are work allocation systems in place to distributed work fairly, ensuring that everyone gets high-quality work and that no one hoards the lion’s share of the work.

There is a specific Skadden type (myth):

· There is no single type of person suited for Skadden.

· A common trait is that they all like each other.

· They are looking for people who are forward-looking.

· They want people who want to contribute.

· People should want to just be themselves.

· Diversity is a key pillar of the firm and is a part of the firm’s heritage

o No single Skadden type but more of a shared vision.​

· One trainee notes how his intake feels like more of a big family and that he feels he can walk around and chat to anyone. He states that everyone at the firm has their own unique backgrounds and interests.

There is a lack of training & resources (myth):

· The lawyers are your teachers – at Skadden, they are very invested in your development.

· Focus on on-the-job training

o Lean teams mean higher level work – it is arguably through doing something over and over that you really get to understand something properly and how it fits into the bigger picture.

o Much of the work is precedent-setting where you will need a more practical skillset to tackle the issues encountered rather than classroom knowledge.​

· Few firms can offer tier 1 practices across corporate, international arbitration (I didn’t get the rest of the list)

· The small intake means you can tailor your TC according to your needs.

· There is still formal training

o One trainee notes how they have seminars multiples times a week and how sometimes people come in to lecture them about the newest updates in law. (e.g. one of the people who writes the contract law textbooks whose name I did not catch)

o There are new things every week training-wise​

· The training programme is well-established, and they understand that people have different learning styles.

· You have mammoth responsibility, but you are still supported & have guidance. One trainee notes how at the end of a transaction, he was given the chance to liaise with the CFO of a big client.

You want a seat at the table (not a myth):

· Both in terms of clients and internally (partner approachability)

· You are actively involved with matters where the big question is ‘if we can’t do this, how do we change the law’ – you are actively involved in finding the solution.

· There’s a business development academy where they will teach you soft skills (i.e. networking).

Recruitment process: hints and tips for applicants

· 1500+ applications, 80 AC places, 40 vac schemers, 10-12 trainees.

· Emphasise your interests.

· Know corporate law + Skadden (specifically London).

· Academics are often taken for granted and they focus less on this.

· They want people who can offer something different/people who stand out.

o Also, people who show a keen interest in Skadden and who get on well with other people.​

· The AC consists of an office tour, a group exercise and an interview with partner/counsel and associate.

· The vacation schemes are 2 weeks long. There is flexibility to choose when you complete them.

· It does not make a difference when you do them. If you do an Easter scheme, your TC interview will be in the summer. If you do it during summer, your interview will be during your second week.

· There are not many assessments during the scheme. There’s a presentation I think, but the focus is more on getting to know you.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

· A common perception of Skadden is that it focusses mainly on corporate work, but the firm has a very rounded practice, including market-leading international arbitration/litigation/white-collar crime practices.

· Skadden hits a certain sweet spot in the market where it has both breadth and depth across its practices.

Origins

· Three associates (Skadden, Arps and Slate) who were unlikely to make partner at their original firm decided to start up their own firm on April Fools’ Day in 1948. This was a very bold move at the time and they had a scrappy beginning amongst a scene of established ‘white shoe’ firms in New York. Their first associate, Joe Flom, would become one of the most significant figures in the firm’s history; he was key for much of their firm’s growth and future expansion. à There was an ethos of “we are just as smart as our competitors but willing to work harder”

Growth/practices/awards

· The firm has mainly grown through organic growth which has helped to maintain a consistent culture throughout its history.

o When this partner joined in 2002, there were only 2 disputes lawyers and now the London office’s disputes practices have received tier 1 rankings for the last 5 years​

o There has been significant growth in areas, such as international arbitration, which other firms are not as big in.​

o They have a lot of awards (there was a huge list on the board, I didn’t get most of them down)​

§ International Arbitration Team of the Year 2017 – David worked on this. It was in relation to a dispute between South Sudan and the newly formed Sudan over oil fields. In this situation, they were counselling a new government that had only just been set up on the back of a civil war and were required to draft entirely new sets of law.

§ 1st firm to handle more than $1tn in global announced M&A in a year – (2015) Mergermarket/Reuters? (Unsure about the source)

· Huge transactions

· These examples give an indication of the complex/high-value/precedent-setting work Skadden do. High demand, but high reward.

· Pro-bono is a big part of the firm’s DNA. Pro-bono hours go towards end-of-year bonuses. Example pro-bono work includes successful asylum applications for refugees coming to the UK. Notably, the firm also funds/pays people outside of the firm to do pro-bono work as well.

· High-quality work

· Diversity & inclusion

Debunking the Myths

· they are a global firm that has focused on organic growth. The firm has been in London for 30 years, the training programme has existed since 2005. The firm has market-leading lawyers across both UK and US and has recently developed many London practices such as its PE and insurance practices.

· The notion that lawyers at Skadden work too hard isn’t something that is unique to Skadden. It’s very much the case across the industry that lawyers at many firms will work too hard. On these significant transactions, where they might have to pull some late nights, there will be lawyers on the other side from both UK and US firms who will have to do similar hours when things start to get busy.

· It’s about working both hard, but also smarter – the focus is on getting the job done, communicating well and managing the client’s expectations.

· There are economic cycles and busy periods where late nights might happen a lot, but counsel notes how these periods were also the highlights of his career. Notably, he worked on the proposed Pfizer – AstraZeneca acquisition. These were the busiest 6 weeks of his life, but he found it fulfilling and enjoyable in the end.

· There are work allocation systems in place to distributed work fairly, ensuring that everyone gets high-quality work and that no one hoards the lion’s share of the work.

· One trainee notes how his intake feels like more of a big family and that he feels he can walk around and chat to anyone. He states that everyone at the firm has their own unique backgrounds and interests.

· The lawyers are your teachers – at Skadden, they are very invested in your development.

o Lean teams mean higher level work – it is arguably through doing something over and over that you really get to understand something properly and how it fits into the bigger picture.

o Much of the work is precedent-setting where you will need a more practical skillset to tackle the issues encountered rather than classroom knowledge.​

· Few firms can offer tier 1 practices across corporate, international arbitration (I didn’t get the rest of the list)

o One trainee notes how they have seminars multiples times a week and how sometimes people come in to lecture them about the newest updates in law. (e.g. one of the people who writes the contract law textbooks whose name I did not catch)

· The training programme is well-established, and they understand that people have different learning styles.

· You have mammoth responsibility, but you are still supported & have guidance. One trainee notes how at the end of a transaction, he was given the chance to liaise with the CFO of a big client.

· You are actively involved with matters where the big question is ‘if we can’t do this, how do we change the law’ – you are actively involved in finding the solution.

· There’s a business development academy where they will teach you soft skills (i.e. networking).

o Also, people who show a keen interest in Skadden and who get on well with other people.​

· The AC consists of an office tour, a group exercise and an interview with partner/counsel and associate.

· The vacation schemes are 2 weeks long. There is flexibility to choose when you complete them.

· It does not make a difference when you do them. If you do an Easter scheme, your TC interview will be in the summer. If you do it during summer, your interview will be during your second week.

· There are not many assessments during the scheme. There’s a presentation I think, but the focus is more on getting to know you.

This is fantastic John!

Reactions: Salma

Naomi

Esteemed Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 14, 2018

Origins

Growth/practices/awards

· Huge transactions

· High-quality work

· Diversity & inclusion

Debunking the Myths

Thank you so much for this. Much appreciated John :)

Hoping to get my application out by the end of this week. Did they say whether it’s rolling, I can’t remeber?

Salma

Legendary Member
    Feb 28, 2018

Origins

Growth/practices/awards

· Huge transactions

· High-quality work

· Diversity & inclusion

Debunking the Myths

Awesome! Thanks @John Wu. Did Skadden confirm whether they’re rolling/non rolling?

Edit: just saw your response above, ignore me :)

Reactions: J Wu

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.